Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Good Cars and Bad Cars --- According to Kindergarteners
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Was talking to a friend the other day. Her daughter and my kids go to the same elementary school. She said that one day her daughter came home and asked her if they were poor because she drives a minivan. The daughter, a 6-year-old kindergartener, then rattled off a few car brands that her friends at school mentioned: Benz and BMW are the best; Lexus is good; but Honda and especially Hyundai are bad.

I found the story both amusing and a little disturbing. No doubt these little kids got their snobbish idea of what’s “good” and “bad” from their parents. I feel sorry for these kids who get brainwashed by their parents at such a young age with this kind of attitude of judging people by the kind of cars they drive.

I should add that the demographic of the neighborhoods around the elementary school is largely upper-middle class, mid-career well-to-do professionals, and fancy German and Japanese cars are common. Still, I would hardly classify this demographic as “wealthy,” so I find this snobbish attitude among the parents rather amusing, if not downright laughable.

I have noticed that when I shuttle my kids to school in my 16-year-old beater car, I occasionally get looks from other parents, and not the good kind. Of course I just laugh it off, knowing that I get to hit the trails afterward in my mountain bike while they get to drive to w**k in their fancy rides.

But hey, to each his/her own, right?

Luckydude
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got the same kind of looks and teasing remarks from a few friends in the past. They don't have so much to say anymore.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 AM   #3

Not surprising as if just reflects the attitude of the majority in our society. Unfortunate but understandable.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
....Benz and BMW are the best; Lexus is good; but Honda and especially Hyundai are bad.
Interesting.... I think that Honda's reliability, customer satisfaction and cost-to-own ratings are much better than Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. Not sure about Hyundai but we owned one and had very few issues with it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Not surprising as if just reflects the attitude of the majority in our society. Unfortunate but understandable.
Exactly. Many of these kids have parents with little retirement money set aside, eyeballs deep in debt, etc... but at least they aren't being judged by their six-year-old I guess.

Cars exist to get you from point A to point B. Unfortunately, Americans place far too much value in the status symbol aspect.

Quote:
Interesting.... I think that Honda's reliability, customer satisfaction and cost-to-own ratings are much better than Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. Not sure about Hyundai but we owned one and had very few issues with it.
Pretty sure these subjective rankings have nothing to do with actual facts, and everything to do with prestige!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think that Honda's reliability, customer satisfaction and cost-to-own ratings are much better than Mercedes, BMW and Lexus.
We drive a basic 2005 Honda Civic......it's never even heard of bells, let alone whistles; we've had between minimal and (almost) zero problems with it, and the few that we have had are likely a hell of a lot cheaper to fix.

If we were even remotely interested in a status symbol this'd be it......reliability, frugality...what's not to like?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A good car is one that I own that still runs. A bad car is either (a) one that I own that's not running anymore, or (b) one that I have to buy because (a).
Old 05-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would much rather have some restored late model 60's Chevy's, Dodge's (or even Ford's) than a brand new BMW, Lexus or Mercedes.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Exactly. Many of these kids have parents with little retirement money set aside, eyeballs deep in debt, etc...
Agree, I'll bet many (maybe even most) of $75K+ vehicles you see folks driving around are either leased or have big loans against them.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #10

Cars are subject to personal desires and priorities. I am a car guy and so appreciate them based upon many criteria many would find irrelevant.

What I can say unequivocally is that several basic traits universally define a good car: a) it starts and stops when you want it to and b) it's owned free and clear. After that it's all about personal preference.

But kids, got to love them...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We drive a basic 2005 Honda Civic......it's never even heard of bells, let alone whistles; we've had between minimal and (almost) zero problems with it, and the few that we have had are likely a hell of a lot cheaper to fix.

If we were even remotely interested in a status symbol this'd be it......reliability, frugality...what's not to like?

Same here! And 11+ years later it's still running great, with outstanding fuel economy and less than $1000 total in repairs over that time. Only one major issue ever, and the mechanic was shocked I brought it in because she said most people would have just driven it with the problem until the car was hard broke. It was 8 years old at the time, and still has plenty of life left. I'm planning to get rid of the Civic within the next year, but only because I will be living an urban life and will have no need for a car for at least 3 years.

I did get the top of the line 2005 Civic, though, so I've got a few bells and whistles. 6 CD changer, moon roof, spoiler. Still cost less than $20K to purchase (including tax and interest) and probably about $37K including all the gas and maintenance over the years. Not too shabby, methinks.

I've never had to worry about it starting or whether I could get from point A to point B. 11+ years of worry free driving - now that's luxury.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

This is pretty sad, but the way things are.

When I was a kid, on occasion my mother would have to take me to school (if I missed the bus for example, not EVERY SINGLE DAY as seems to be the norm today) in a beat up old 4 colored Camaro. It had a nice rust hole in the floor board that wasn't very pleasant when it rained. I remember some of the kids ragging me on the old, beat up car. That's OK though...I am retired and some of them (one that I know for SURE) will probably never retire because they are financial idiots and are doing their best to keep up the same appearance they did when they were snotty kids. Some things never change!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I would much rather have some restored late model 60's Chevy's, Dodge's (or even Ford's) than a brand new BMW, Lexus or Mercedes.
To each their own of course, but I would have the opposite view. I enjoy driving and new cars are just so much better at driving than the old 60's muscle cars were. Way faster, better brakes, handle much better, much faster throttle response, etc. Not to even mention the better reliability and longevity of modern cars.

I think many people like the old cars because they bring back nostalgic memories of their youth. This is certainly a valid motivation but I view these old cars more as art than actual cars.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
To each their own of course, but I would have the opposite view. I enjoy driving and new cars are just so much better at driving than the old 60's muscle cars were. Way faster, better brakes, handle much better, much faster throttle response, etc. I think many people like the old cars because they bring back nostalgic memories of one's youth. This is certainly a valid motivation but I view these old cars more as art than actual cars.
Have to agree with this, even though my first car was a '31 Model A that I did a ground up restoration on in the year before I turned 16... Love the look of classic cars, and have fond memories of street racing with large block V-8s, but for driveability/performance they don't stack up to the present offerings.

(Of course, I drive a Honda Fit, so take my opinion with a block of salt!)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have always bought the best car that meets our needs. Never thought about what others might think. Right now 2 Fords and a Nissan. Never had a Ford until a European Merkur, the poor man's Mercedes. First Nissan too.

When the kids were in school, is was a Buick and Olds, but they walked to school. They now have an Infiniti and a Toyota.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To each their own of course, but I would have the opposite view. I enjoy driving and new cars are just so much better at driving than the old 60's muscle cars were. Way faster, better brakes, handle much better, much faster throttle response, etc. I think many people like the old cars because they bring back nostalgic memories of one's youth. This is certainly a valid motivation but I view these old cars more as art than actual cars.
+1000. I do like the look of the old muscle cars, but they just cannot compete performance wise (especially safety wise!) with the new cars. My 4 door family sedan that just isn't much to look will make toast of all those wonderful muscle cars when it comes down to putting pinks on the line.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

My thoughts were similar as I read the posts...I know these were young kids. But I remember in HS, nobody worried about what vehicles the parents had but what we wanted...and in the early 80s when I was in school, "you were the man" if you one of those late 60s vehicles. And they didnt even have to be restored except with a paint job.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Pfffft, kids these days! When I was that age, my father finally replaced the VW Beetle he drove us around in (I was third kid, mind you) with that ultimate status symbol, a brand new Chevrolet Vega! The wagon, no less. WORST CAR EVER!
We also had a Vista Cruiser wagon for a short time, which was awesome, especially with those rear seats at the back so you could suck up some exhaust on the way.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
+1000. I do like the look of the old muscle cars, but they just cannot compete performance wise (especially safety wise!) with the new cars. My 4 door family sedan that just isn't much to look will make toast of all those wonderful muscle cars when it comes down to putting pinks on the line.
Careful, my Motion Performance prepared 67 SS396 Chevelle used to run sub 11.5 1/4 mile times back in the 60s. Most of todays cars would be blown away by that level of performance.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Careful, my Motion Performance prepared 67 SS396 Chevelle used to run sub 11.5 1/4 mile times back in the 60s. Most of todays cars would be blown away by that level of performance.
I wasn't really talking about cars that were modified...I am talking plain Jane off the showroom floor.