Join Early Retirement Today

Good Credit Card, anyone?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good Credit Card, anyone?

Our Capital One "no hassle" card is NOT living up to its name. For the second time in six months, they've misallocated our payments (we pay online) and then hit us with late fees (which, after much hassle, they've later corrected). We have other credit cards for emergencies but don't like using them because of their terms and conditions.

We've got fabulous credit, and I'm tired of battling with this company. You'd think they'd be interested in keeping good customers who are good credit risks, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Anyone got a credit card that they like using (our criteria are no annual fee and a competitive rate of interest)? Bonus points for perks (like airline miles). Easy to use customer service would be a must, at this point! I'll check online as well, but figured that what I really care about right now (good customer service) isn't something I'm going to see on Bankrate.

Thanks for any ideas.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My HSBC Cash Back Platinum has been great. No issues, no mis-charges, they always call when a funny transaction appears, and make it disapear without question if it's not us (all but two times it was). Plus they send us a few hundred $$$ every year. I think the interest is ~11% but we don't carry balances so I can't say for sure.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had a Discover card since they came out with one. EXCELLENT customer service in all areas. We have charged a whole roof, cruises, travel of all kinds, and or normal expenses. They promptly fixed any errors. We carry an Amazon affiliated VISA for those few times we cannot use Discover or when they have an amazing % cash back on a certain type of expense category.

Cannot however talk about interest rates since we have never paid any interest.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Cannot however talk about interest rates since we have never paid any interest.
I think that's probably a trend on this board
Old 04-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tired old recording here, but PenFed has the best product out there. https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRa...s/overview.asp
Setting it up to autopay in full from a different bank's checking account took a little tinkering, but good otherwise. Works for me.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I've an affinity card from the grocery store (Kroger) where I do most shopping. They send coupons and checks (only good at their store) and 15 cents discount per gallon of gas (bought at their gas station).
Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Citicard Cash Returns has been pretty good. Solid 1% cashback on all purchases (they send checks at the $50 mark) and you get access to various other perks if you are interested. No fee, and the apr is under 9% (don't know exactly but it is sitting right there online should I develop a burning desire to see it).
Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I've stopped using a Macy's card but keep it for backup. It was a hassle going into a store to redeen the rewards coupons.

I got one of those Amazon.com cards that gives you $30 off to sign up. Things have gone wrong but Customer Service is really up to it and was easy to deal with. First off, there was some internet fraud, about $500 in foreign phone calls; well handled step-by-step by customer service; no complaints from me that they couldn't remove the "rewards" credit for that $500. And they call me or freeze the card if they see any unusual charges, so I keep the Macy's card handy. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon anyway so the rewards certificates are easy to use.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beating a Dead Horse but PenFed Cashback 5% (Gas), 2% (Groceries), 1.25 (all others). Purchase food at local Giant Eagle Grocery store for $.20 off on 30 Gallons of Gas for each $50 spent on food.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Tired old recording here, but PenFed has the best product out there. https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRa...s/overview.asp
Setting it up to autopay in full from a different bank's checking account took a little tinkering, but good otherwise. Works for me.
2 questions about Pen Fed.
Do you have to be/been employed by the Fed. Govt. to join?
Is there a limit on the rebate that you can receive like some other credit cards out there? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
2 questions about Pen Fed.
Do you have to be/been employed by the Fed. Govt. to join?
Is there a limit on the rebate that you can receive like some other credit cards out there? Thanks.
Anyone can join by buying a $20 one-year membership in the NMFA - see #6:

https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

There are no limits on the amount of rebate you can receive.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Beating a Dead Horse but PenFed Cashback 5% (Gas), 2% (Groceries), 1.25 (all others). Purchase food at local Giant Eagle Grocery store for $.20 off on 30 Gallons of Gas for each $50 spent on food.
How does PenFed credit the rebate? I use a Chase Mastercard which is also 5% on Shell gas, but only 1% on everything else. They credit the rebate on each statement, but I'm thinking of switching (or having a backup) so I can use other brands.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

PenFed credits the rebate on each statement.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
You'd think they'd be interested in keeping good customers who are good credit risks, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
I recently watched the documentary "Maxed Out" about the credit card business. Elizabeth Warren was interviewed - and she described meetings with bank execs on this very point. Their message was clearly that the customer they want most 1) pays late, 2) stays maxed at the credit limit, and 3) makes the minimum payment. It's their primary source of profit. It kinda makes sense - in a perverse sort of way.

Michael
Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #15

Have had the GM card for many years. Pays 5% towards a GM car. Over the years have earned about $11000. Customer service is lame, but they have never screwed anything up.
Also use the Citicard Drivers card. Pay 2% toward any new or used car. Good customer service.

The third one I use is the Chase Priority Club Card. Used it a lot when I was in business to accumulate points towards Holiday Inn stays. Also a good card.
Of course, all of the above are free cards. I have never run a balance so I can't comment on interest rates. I suspect they are no bargain.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Penfed. The rebates are good, it comes right off your statement every month, and the last minute autopay from my vanguard checking account is very nice.

The only other card I use is the crappy amex card I have for Costco shopping. Also on autopay at the last minute.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Ditto what calmloki and the others have said. I have 39 credit cards currently and this is the only one that I use regularly. I don't know how they behave when errors happen, because I have never had a single problem with this card.

Running a distant second would be the AMEX Costco TrueEarnings card.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
I have 39 credit cards currently..
Wow! I have 3 and thought that I have too many.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't know about PenFed's CC! That's awesome! I love this board (sometimes) .
Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Our Capital One "no hassle" card is NOT living up to its name. For the second time in six months, they've misallocated our payments (we pay online) and then hit us with late fees (which, after much hassle, they've later corrected). We have other credit cards for emergencies but don't like using them because of their terms and conditions.
That's a bummer, since I was thinking about getting a Capitol One card because they don't charge any foreign exchange fees (typically 3%).

Anyone know what PenFed's foreign exchange fees are like? (I couldn't find it in a cursory check of their website.)

Droopy