Join Early Retirement Today

Good preferred HELOC lenders
Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Good preferred HELOC lenders

We’re considering relocating to Florida to a newly built house, and are now looking into financing. We’re thinking of pulling about 200k from our portfolio then get a HELOC to pay off the balance for the newly built house, then sell our current home and pay off the HELOC.

Are there any good preferred HELOC lenders that you have experience with?

I was under the impression that the fees for the HELOC are quite low. I contacted my local credit union that I use for my regular banking they said the fees would be around $800 - $1000 range. Since they are the only ones I contacted I’m not sure if that’s good or not. I estimate we have about 200-225k equity. We’re trying to figure out the best way to finance, to avoid interest and fees.
Thanks
ttvjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have used pen fed in the past with no complaints. I paid fees of under a hundred bucks.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You could take a look at Third Federal S&L. They are based in Cleveland but have a branch in FL I think and they lend all over. Our HELOC with them was low cost, smooth, easy, and all done online.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think chase charged me $50 for my heloc? no other ongoing fees
Old 01-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go Navy

We took out a HELOC from Navy Federal Credit Union about 14 years ago. No fees at all. Don't know if that's still the case.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I think chase charged me $50 for my heloc? no other ongoing fees
+1, also very good customer service throughout the process, quick closing and competitive rates, considering included discounts.
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I am finalizing a HELOC now with a mid-west regional bank. There are no initial fees. However, after 1 year there is a $50 annual maintenance fee. Interest rate is prime.

I was worried about securing a HELOC as DH & I have been retired for 3 years and are not drawing social security or pensions. I did not have a problem as they deemed the HELOC was less than 80% of our equity in the secured property and that we could access sufficient assets if necessary to repay the HELOC.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all for the thoughtful replies, just what I was looking for.
ttvjef is offline   Reply With Quote