Join Early Retirement Today

Goofy Retirement Plans
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Goofy Retirement Plans

I think we have all heard retirement plans from other people that just make us shake our head in disbelief. Well, I have two that I heard of that struck me as down right goofy.

The first was simple. My ex neighbor spent every penny he ever made. His plan was to inherit his parents collection of gold coins, sell them, and live off of the proceeds. He has been overjoyed for the past few years as gold has gone up and up and up. Until a few weeks ago, when his parents informed him they have been selling off the gold coins, little by little, to pay their retirement expenses. Apparently it never occurred to him that his parents might need the money themselves.

The second is also interesting in that so far it is working! An acquaintance had nothing approaching retirement except for his SS checks. However, he is a great conversationalist, has a warm personality, and is a 'silver fox'. He found a woman in another part of the country who has a paid for house, her deceased husband's ample pension, and some other savings. After several flights back and forth across the country to meet and spend time with each other they married (in less than 3 months.) According to him, she lets him keep his SS money and spend it anyway he likes, while she provides him food and shelter, and their car.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My aunt always thought she'd inherit my grandmother's money and never really planned for much else. She died in her late sixties a few years back, ironically enough in my grandmother's house, and my grandmother is still going strong at 96. The way my grandmother set up her trust, my aunt's kids won't get a dime, either.

My friend's mom retired on SS, and about a hundred thousand from the sale of her home and business. She doesn't own a car or a house and lives half the year in India with her master (she's heavily into new age spirituality stuff) and half the year in a kind of commune here in the States. I don't get it, but it works for her.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
My friend's mom retired on SS, and about a hundred thousand from the sale of her home and business. She doesn't own a car or a house and lives half the year in India with her master.
For a second, I thought you were referring to her husband as her "master".
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I think we have all heard retirement plans from other people that just make us shake our head in disbelief. Well, I have two that I heard of that struck me as down right goofy.

The first was simple. My ex neighbor spent every penny he ever made. His plan was to inherit his parents collection of gold coins, sell them, and live off of the proceeds. He has been overjoyed for the past few years as gold has gone up and up and up. Until a few weeks ago, when his parents informed him they have been selling off the gold coins, little by little, to pay their retirement expenses. Apparently it never occurred to him that his parents might need the money themselves.
Oof!! Yet another example of why counting on an inheritance is not a good practice, generally speaking. Had he not counted on that inheritance, he would have saved some of that money and he would have his own retirement nestegg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
The second is also interesting in that so far it is working! An acquaintance had nothing approaching retirement except for his SS checks. However, he is a great conversationalist, has a warm personality, and is a 'silver fox'. He found a woman in another part of the country who has a paid for house, her deceased husband's ample pension, and some other savings. After several flights back and forth across the country to meet and spend time with each other they married (in less than 3 months.) According to him, she lets him keep his SS money and spend it anyway he likes, while she provides him food and shelter, and their car.
I think a lot of single men have thought of this plan and I also think it often works. At first thought it seems as though a retired woman would be fooling herself if she went along with it. On the other hand, people have been fooling themselves for centuries.

I would suspect that this "silver fox" strategy isn't limited to men, and some women have this retirement "plan" as well. When one is retirement age and dating, it does seem to be reasonable for each partner to expect the other to have the means to support themselves.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I would suspect that this "silver fox" strategy isn't limited to men, and some women have this retirement "plan" as well.
The Sugar-Daddy/Sugar_Mamma hunt goes on for many. And it's not limited to retired people.

But, it seems that for many, that's their retirement plan - Find a sugar_daddy.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

I would imagine there are a great many unusual retirement plans. This is one I always have to shake my head when I read about it:

The Gentlemen Host Program - volunteer dance hosts for cruise lines
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I would imagine there are a great many unusual retirement plans. This is one I always have to shake my head when I read about it:

I can't even imagine how many of these guys land a sugar-mama, in short order. Heck of a deal for a single guy that likes to dance.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I knew a guy ,one of my ex bosses, divorced who did that in the 1980's.

heh heh heh - I guess it still works.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I know a lot of folks who have a retiement plan of "I'll start thinking about retirement when I hit 50"
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #10

A very great problem for some (many?) people, especially as they age, is loneliness. If you are poor, yet can be a friend to someone well off who really needs a friend, I don't see the problem with making a deal, so long as both parties are reasonably careful. (I'm not suggesting that the "gentlemen dancers" are necessarily poor.)
Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
A very great problem for some (many?) people, especially as they age, is loneliness. If you are poor, yet can be a friend to someone well off who really needs a friend, I don't see the problem with making a deal, so long as both parties are reasonably careful. (I'm not suggesting that the "gentlemen dancers" are necessarily poor.)
Quite a few female dancers make good money. Although the income stream tends to slow down once they hit 40.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

There was a movie about that with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon... "Out to Sea".

Out to Sea (1997) - IMDb
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #13

The biggest problem some men/ladies would have in using the silver fox strategy:
They need to develop a personality that attracts a partner of independent means permanently.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #14

I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who don't have any retirement plans because they tell me they will work till they die. I hope they are gainfully employed at old age.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #15

My wife's uncle had a succesful "career" as one of those dance hosts, and through that married his own sugar mama. She died a few years later, left all her money to her kids, and he is now destitute.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Knew a guy who always said "I want to meet a rich old widow.One foot in the grave,the other on a banana peel".Men always choose between Ginger or Maryanne on Gilligans Island,I always picked Mrs. Howell(Lovie).She had the cash.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Goofy Retirement Plans
I guess it's time once again to trot out that moldy golden oldie:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...0-a-14426.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who don't have any retirement plans because they tell me they will work till they die. I hope they are gainfully employed at old age.
I have a number of friends who say the same thing. They refuse to consider the possibility of poor health messing that plan up. The only thing I can think of that is worse than being old, unhealthy, poor and needing to work is to be old, unhealthy, poor, and unable to work. I'd at least be buying lottery tickets.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #19

Brother, age 59.
Intelligent and friendly, but divorced and never held a really decent job in his life.
Got fired from latest job in January.
Lives aboard a small sailboat on the east coast.
The plan:

Collect unemployment until it runs out . Do odd jobs and get paid cash.
When unemployment stops, collect very small pension from job held 10 years ago.
Take SS at age 62.

For medical, I presume he is under Medicaid but don't want to ask. Medicare at 65.

My biggest financial nightmare is that some day I'll get a call from one of our sisters saying "Our brother has a disease that will be fatal if he doesn't have the $200,000 operation that the government won't pay for. Do we pay up, or let him die?"
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Brother, age 59.
Intelligent and friendly, but divorced and never held a really decent job in his life.
Got fired from latest job in January.
Lives aboard a small sailboat on the east coast.
The plan:

Collect unemployment until it runs out . Do odd jobs and get paid cash.
When unemployment stops, collect very small pension from job held 10 years ago.
Take SS at age 62.

For medical, I presume he is under Medicaid but don't want to ask. Medicare at 65.

My biggest financial nightmare is that some day I'll get a call from one of our sisters saying "Our brother has a disease that will be fatal if he doesn't have the $200,000 operation that the government won't pay for. Do we pay up, or let him die?"
I'd bet a lot of people do this kind of thing. Especially with unemployment so high. Honestly, we've got an extensive system of safety nets in this country that would allow a person to live like this with little consequence. Of course, you then are at the whim of some bureaucrat when things go bad, like in your nightmare above, and you're never going to be really independent or well off.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote