Join Early Retirement Today

Google Finance
Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Google Finance

Google Finance is a neat tool and now they've added a feature that I really like. They've always had a section of links to news stories relating to an individual stock. The interactive chart has tabs that link to the story as well. I've found this feature quite useful. They also have had links to related discussion group postings that I have not found very useful.

Now they have added links to blog posts about the stock you're researching. When I first saw that I was worried it might be garbage like the discussion postings, but I see links to a lot of sources that are well written. There are also a lot of new sources I was not familiar with, but some of them are interesting.

Google Finance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Given that Yahoo Finance seems to keep taking things away or changing things in a way I don't like, it looks like a good time to more to Google Finance.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Given that Yahoo Finance seems to keep taking things away or changing things in a way I don't like, it looks like a good time to more to Google Finance.

I am having the same opinion, I have used Yahoo Finance for a long time but for the last few months the web site crawls. I think I'll give google finance a shot!

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ding Ding Ding! After yahoo finance/news/my yahoo decided to force a major format and look/feel change, I decided that if I was going to have to learn something new I'd learn something new and better.

Besides, Yahoo is going to end up being bought by someone sooner or later, and I'm sure as part of that it'll go through yet another change.

I dont need or want pointless change because someone has a bunch of web programmers and feels the need to improve and "make progress", especially when all the change and progress produce is a need for me to work harder to do the same things I already knew how to do.

It was a good change. Google stuff is much better. Thanks Yahoo!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the tip. Google Finance moves much faster than Yahoo. Sweet.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

I dont need or want pointless change because someone has a bunch of web programmers and feels the need to improve and "make progress", especially when all the change and progress produce is a need for me to work harder to do the same things I already knew, how to do....
This is what I most remember about leaving j*bs. HR tries to hire some new blood, but they forget to learn the old procedures. When I left one place, a research experiment, new guy threw out all but 13 of the 500 copies of the data, and couldn't find them three months later. No, I didn't have a copy in my dorm room.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a combination of finance.google.com and moneycentral.msn.com for doing quick and dirty research. I also like having a fidelity account so I can get free access to all of their research subscriptions. Very rarely I'll check for discussions on a specific stock on elitetrader.com.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Google is lightweight
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Google is lightweight

Yahoo has so much more extensive information whether historical data, advanced charting, or analysis. It's portfolio has had associated news for years. Google isn't much more than quotes.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlighten View Post
Yahoo has so much more extensive information whether historical data, advanced charting, or analysis. It's portfolio has had associated news for years. Google isn't much more than quotes.
Take a look at this page WM - Washington Mutual, Inc. - Google Finance (Washington Mutual): charts with [A], [b], [C], etc markers correlating to news events; plus related companies, financials / ratios, upcoming events, etc. This is a great 1-pager for quick and dirty research. I love the page layout.

Granted, yahoo (WM: Summary for WASHINGTON MUTUAL - Yahoo! Finance) and msn (WM - Stock Quote for Washington Mutual Inc - MSN Money) also have the same data, just in different formats.

MSN is nice since it has the StockScouter and analyst recommendations on the main page, though comparable companies are a click or two away. Personally I like yahoo the least now out of the three (though I used to use yahoo as my first step in researching stocks up until 5yrs ago).

To each their own.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Google Finance and i really like it. The feature I like the most is the multi-currency stock options and the speed.
billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Look like Yahoo doesnt get it. Customers are defecting, so their strategy is...yep...implement more changes!

The Edwardsville Intelligencer > (AP) Associated Press Headlines
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

yeah, but don't forget. Google is the Empire out of Star Wars. They make things seem like they are doing it for you, but if you are using the Google browser with the Google Toolbar on Google Finance while keeping your data on the Google File Servers, they pwn you, man! Like, it's the Deathstar all over again! Run!!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Theres some truth to that. As I mentioned in the google chrome thread, by using their software you generally agree that they can track and to some degree own any content you store/type. Up until recently they kept a copy of everything for 18 months. Now its only 9...
Old 09-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Theres some truth to that. As I mentioned in the google chrome thread, by using their software you generally agree that they can track and to some degree own any content you store/type. Up until recently they kept a copy of everything for 18 months. Now its only 9...
I figure there is so much of my info recorded on so many places that I just don't worry about it.