Google launches Google Finance

Olav23

Recycles dryer sheets
Google launched a competing portal to MSN/Yahoo finance in the past day or so. I believe its still in Beta, but the usual google cool-ness is in there. They brought their Google Maps technology to stock charting, so you can drag the chart and it also labels when news hit on the chart so you can see the impact that the news had on the stock price. I'm sure there are more features, but those are all I've played with so far.

Just wanted to pass along to anyone interested:

http://finance.google.com/

Everything at google stays in beta forever. That way they can pull the product if they wish with limited ramifications and major problems cant come back to haunt them... "HEY...we said this was a BETA service!"

I have kinda been mad at Yahoo Finance since they pulled their Money Manager product. I'll poke around at the Google finance site. Thanks for the link.

Yahoo still rules

they have real charts with real technical analysis, not the kiddie charts that google has

It's bad enough that Google can track my searches and target marketing to me. I certainly don't want them tracking any of my finances.
Big Google Brother is watching you.

Looks like Morningstar data, and looking at wmcvx it looks like the fund charts are strictly NAV, not total return. Nothing much new that I saw.

Dan

the google summary looks pretty good with the basic chart and the financials on the same page and the ratios like ROE is pretty nice, but Yahoo still rules overall.

maybe if MS buys them out they will keep the nice core and change the UI just enough to make it really good.

Google is king of taking other people's content and displaying it on their website.it worked the last few years since everyone was making money, but now people may start blocking Google from displaying their information or suing them. always happens when the economy slows down. people start counting every penny

It's bad enough that Google can track my searches and target marketing to me. I certainly don't want them tracking any of my finances.
Big Google Brother is watching you.
So, you don't use ANY software to track your investments? I hate to mention it, but even if you don't, your brokerage is tracking you. :cool:

If and when I want to check to see what's happening in the markets, I use Yahoo, also.

Did y'all notice that the Google charts also use the same mechanism as their mapping software does. You can left-click (and hold), but drag it left/right to instantly see more data.
And Google's charts come up right away where you can mouse-over any of the days to get the specific information for it (like you can do after you click on the Yahoo chart itself ... after choosing the stock). This saves you one step, but hey I'm lazy.

In any case, to each his own. :)

i haven't traded for a while, but Yahoo used to have the order books on it's free site so you can see the open bid and asks. no more

going to have to find who else has it since i have a new pot of money i can play with that i don't have to be responsible for

Back
Top Bottom