Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Got CSR? Pony Up Another Benjamin!
Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got CSR? Pony Up Another Benjamin!

Saw an email from Chase with the title about some new bennies. Well, the real "benny" was a $100 increase in the annual fee (Going to $550). There were some convoluted programs for Lyft and Door Dash that I'll need to examine, but CSR is getting rather spendy. I really like all the perks that come with CSR, but,,,, I'll have to decide if they've priced themselves out of my market. YMMV!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always look at the card fee minus the benefits I would pay for.
$550 less
300 travel credit
60 door dash credit
$190 real cost
For $190 I get these less specific benefits
Nice airport lounges with priority pass
Tsa precheck every few years
Primary car rental coverage
Better travel insurance than most cards
15% off lyft for a year. Plus 10x credit means it’s really more like 25+% off
3 free lyft bikes and scooters each month for a year

Still not too bad a value and very competitive with premium cards from Amex and Citi.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #3
Administrator

We got this card a year ago mostly for the travel insurance. The cost of the card is less than the cost of separate insurance, so we’ll renew it for another year.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #4

OP here. ^^^ Ditto. But I've likely got to transfer most of my rides from Uber to Lyft. Already use Door Dash.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Saw an email from Chase with the title about some new bennies. Well, the real "benny" was a $100 increase in the annual fee (Going to $550).
As they say on FlyerTalk, "You've been ENHANCED, Dude!"

I'd looked at the benefits of the premium cards when I was looking to change and decided they weren't worth it. Lounges that accept PriorityPass are starting to get jammed- I bought a Day Pass at the Club at DFW and the attendant "suggested" a seat that was basically a chair with an attached tray in front of it. Turned out that was about the only seat available! Only slightly better than the general waiting areas although it did include snacks and drinks. I don't use DoorDash and rarely use Uber- haven't used Lyft at all.

And every time I look at travel insurance provided with credit cards I see gaps. I don't care as much about lost luggage and being delayed overnight (unless I'm going to miss a cruise ship). I focus on Medical and Evacuation and want VERY good coverage there because I go for active, adventurous travel. I always buy a separate policy.

So I'm sticking with cash back cards.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #6

Last year, we earned more than 50K points from CSR after >$17,000 charged the card for travel. That is at least $500 value earned. So, as long as we continue to travel, I think we will keep this card.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We got this card a year ago mostly for the travel insurance. The cost of the card is less than the cost of separate insurance, so we’ll renew it for another year.
If the travel insurance is primary benefit you want, then downgrade from Reserve to Preferred. Same travel benefits, lower annual fee.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
I always look at the card fee minus the benefits I would pay for.
$550 less
300 travel credit
60 door dash credit
$190 real cost
For $190 I get these less specific benefits
Nice airport lounges with priority pass
Tsa precheck every few years
Primary car rental coverage
Better travel insurance than most cards
15% off lyft for a year. Plus 10x credit means it’s really more like 25+% off
3 free lyft bikes and scooters each month for a year

Still not too bad a value and very competitive with premium cards from Amex and Citi.
Don't forget that you get 50% more points applied to travel booked with points, that's a pretty good savings too.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Last year, we earned more than 50K points from CSR after >$17,000 charged the card for travel. That is at least $500 value earned. So, as long as we continue to travel, I think we will keep this card.
Have you looked at downgrading from Reserve to Preferred? A few less perks, but still good point benefit and similar benefits as Reserve. Depending on what perks you use Preferred could be a better option by annual fee saving over Reserve.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Door Dash doesn't even operate in our locale, a resort town whose population plummets in summer. We will probably keep CSR one more year, due to high travel spending/earning lots of points, and then downgrade.
I agree with Athena53 that Priority Pass isn't much of a value at this point. When you can even find a lounge that takes it, it is jammed to the rafters. For long trips, we are flying business class, so we have the airline's BC lounge to use. Short coach trips are hardly worth dragging our carryons to wherever the PP lounge happens to be.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
If the travel insurance is primary benefit you want, then downgrade from Reserve to Preferred. Same travel benefits, lower annual fee.
Not the same travel insurance. The Sapphire Reserve is broader.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #12

I have been a holder for several years now. Even though Lyft and Doordash are worthless for me, I will keep it. Last year, my wife was diagnosed with C and we had to cancel two trips (booked with CSR). They came through with about a 90% refund. We travel internationally a bit and the $100,000 air evac reimbursement is pretty stress-reducing. We also use the Priority pass a lot. I am not happy about the extra $100, but it will not make me cancel (or move down to the Preferred as we have over 300,000 points and want to keep the 50% bonus).
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

So I'm sticking with cash back cards.
+1

With one exception ($49 yearly fee and it includes one 'free' night a year) my regular cards are all cash back. I use that cash to purchase airline seats with more legroom, have a nice meal at a descent airport restaurant, upgrade the hotel room for a bit more room. It works.

I have been known to get a card for the points only and then cancel it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Not the same travel insurance. The Sapphire Reserve is broader.
I did a compare based on details on Chase website,

Reserve: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel

Preferred: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...eferred/travel

The difference I see in regards to Trip Cancellation/Interuption, Baggage Delay, Trip Delay and Lost Luggage is Reserve has Trip Delay Reimbursement for more than 6 hours vs. 12 hours for Preferred.

Looking at the other aspects, Travel Accident Insurance is $1 million for SR vs $500 thousand for SP. So OK, I lose a little something with SR (other than my life or limb).

I guess the biggest difference then is SR includes Medical ($2,500 - which isn't worth much) and Emergency Evacuation/Transportation (limited only to $100K). So I'll give you that's a difference, but coverage for a week with much better coverage, $100K for medical and $500K for Emergency Evac/Transport was $40 for my last trip. But with $95 for SP vs $550 now for SR, plus additional $75 for additional Authorized User, that savings can buy a lot of Medical/Emergency Evac coverage.

Here's a summary I found on PointsGuy site:
1-22-2020 12-17-44 PM.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Travel Benefits_Reserve.jpg (84.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Travel Benefits_Preferred.jpg (84.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Preferred doesn't give lounge access. And we've found that to be a very nice benefit, mainly in SE Asia airports.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Preferred doesn't give lounge access. And we've found that to be a very nice benefit, mainly in SE Asia airports.
That's why I prefaced it by saying
Quote:
My comment was in response (and the quote was included in my response) to this message:

Quote:
So MichaelB didn't mention lounge access. And Preferred can save him a few bucks and not really give up much in travel insurance. I'm sure Reserve still fits the need for many people, but if it's primarily for travel insurance, there is a lower cost option.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm grumpy about the increase but will probably keep the card unless I find a cheaper way to get priority pass benefits. I figure the Reserved costs me $155 more than the Preferred ($550 - $300 travel credit - $95 preferred fee) to get priority pass and the travel evacuation insurance.

I'm pretty sure I get more than $155 a year worth of priority pass at the moment - my main airport PDX has a restaurant and a whiskey tasting room in the program and me and my partner often hit both a trip out of PDX. If they took away non-lounge access from the priority pass like Amex did I'd cancel because the one priority pass lounge in PDX is meh.

The new benefits are worthless to me because we don't have doordash or lyft in my town.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This card sounds good for people who travel a lot (I don't). The annual cost could go in the budget category "Travel". Might seem more reasonable to you if you think of it as a travel expense and I think that would be fair if it helps.

I don't have this card and personally would not use any of the benefits. I like my Amazon Visa, which is a better fit for my particular lifestyle. It gives me rewards that I can use to partially pay for my Amazon purchases.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky_grrl View Post
I'm grumpy about the increase but will probably keep the card unless I find a cheaper way to get priority pass benefits. I figure the Reserved costs me $155 more than the Preferred ($550 - $300 travel credit - $95 preferred fee) to get priority pass and the travel evacuation insurance.

I'm pretty sure I get more than $155 a year worth of priority pass at the moment - my main airport PDX has a restaurant and a whiskey tasting room in the program and me and my partner often hit both a trip out of PDX. If they took away non-lounge access from the priority pass like Amex did I'd cancel because the one priority pass lounge in PDX is meh.

The new benefits are worthless to me because we don't have doordash or lyft in my town.
Hlton Amex provides PP access, diamond status, a free weekend night and other perks. It's $450/year. I keep it as Hilton is where we prefer to stay. The diamond status upgrades and lounge access more than offsets the $450 for us.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Hlton Amex provides PP access, diamond status, a free weekend night and other perks. It's $450/year. I keep it as Hilton is where we prefer to stay. The diamond status upgrades and lounge access more than offsets the $450 for us.
I'd seriously consider that card if Amex PP still worked at all the places Chase PP does. The places I tend to use my PP benefits were excluded by Amex last year . But I can see Diamond status would be worth it for frequent Hilton visitors. I've indulged in more than a couple of glasses of wine in Hilton executive lounges when travelling with my sister who had diamond status.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote