Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
CG, one basic premise in the article is the CPP. The CPP balance grew like Topsy in the last decade precisely because large chunks of it were invested in the markets. I wonder how it's faring now? In other words, how secure is CPP?
You may have to draw you own conclusions:

Annual Report of the Canada Pension Plan 2006-07
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
CG, one basic premise in the article is the CPP. The CPP balance grew like Topsy in the last decade precisely because large chunks of it were invested in the markets. I wonder how it's faring now? In other words, how secure is CPP?
CPP was funded for the next 75 years before the melt down. We currently run a surplus from contributions until the baby boomers reach the peak retirement numbers.

The plan is solid, unlike personal retirement accounts they can invest for the long term 50+ years and yearly fluctuations don't matter as much. We recapped the plan in the early 90's so there is no problem with the fund. All actuaries state the fund will be there when it’s needed.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
True, but how secure is any pension these days (including pensions in the private sector)?

reportonbusiness.com: 'Disaster' unless Ottawa offers pension relief
According to today's Globe and Mail, CPP is shopping for high end distressed real estate in the US and UK.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Actually the most pleasurable things in life are free...aren't they? (well almost free)
True enough, but as you get a few miles on it's hard to do them more than episodically. Of course, that does leave TV...

Ha
Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

You know, y'all really don't appear to have read the article, or maybe Money is just an easy target. What it really says is:

1) Needing 70-80% of your preretirement income is a commonly accepted benchmark. True, I've heard that without accepting it for most of my career.

2) If you made big bucks while working you'll need to replace most of it, since SS will replace a smaller percentage depending on your salary.

3) They think it would be prudent to be conservative when estimating how much you will need. Build in a cushion.Not a bad idea, IMHO.

4) If you set your sights too low, you'll relegate yourself to a lower lifestyle than you may want. Cover your bets.

5) When you get within 10 years of retirement, quit estimating and start doing a real budget. Again, what's wrong with this.

I agree with y'all about not needing the $180K after retirement if you are a decent LBYM type, and all the other things you can do to limit your costs. I was just a little surprised at the Money attacks on one of the more reasonable articles they've printed recently. I say give credit when it's due, aand kick their @sses when it's deserved.