Join Early Retirement Today

Got Stocks?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Got Stocks?

We've been shedding some individual stocks; we're taking pretty good gains but they've been going nowhere lately and I can't make a case for keeping them. I've pretty much accepted that I'm not smart/diligent enough to evaluate individual companies and their prospects, so we're moving towards all funds, mostly broad index types.

So I'm wondering, what % of your port is individual stocks, and how do you feel about it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

100% fund right now, and doing homework on individual stocks right now to see if I can make some more moola on those. Nobody is ever satisfied it seems.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
So I'm wondering, what % of your port is individual stocks...
3.8%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
...and how do you feel about it?
Great!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

40% because I truly enjoy doing the research.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5% - all in Berkshire.

But what will happen when Warren dies?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

95% of my equity portfolio is in individual stocks, and has been almost since I started investing. I started doing this to gain more control over timing of gain and loss recognition. That is still a good reason, but there are others too.

Ha
Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

0.3%. Soon to be 0%.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

100% individual stocks for many years now, which is the only allocation I am comfortable with.

I enjoy tracking and analyzing them, but this is made easier by sticking to only the most stable, well-managed companies (IMO) with long histories of earnings/dividend increases and no clouds (IMO) on the horizon.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

100%
EarlyTwenties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Administrator

0%
All funds here in Chicken Little's household
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I just started buying some individual stocks recently & have about 3% of my liquid assets in them. Don't have much time to spend evaluating them and Mutual Funds seem to be doing just as well or better.....

I do like that AAPL though....
Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Almost zero in individual stocks. I used to do a lot more. I do a 'testosterone trade' once in a while, and the few I've done recently gained me almost exactly what the market did!

I just don't have the confidence that I can pick 'em better than average, at least not enough of 'em to be diversified enough to protect myself against a mistake or just some occasional bad luck, and still make it worth while.

More power to those who can.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #13

0% individual stocks. We've had stocks, Drip plans , ESOP's etc over the years. Now we're working toward a basic Total Stock Mkt, Total Int'l Mkt, Total Bond Mkt portfolio for the employer retirement plans. Our Roth's are VG Wellington & Wellesley along w/ REIT Index and Hi Yld Corp. Easy diversification and simplicity fit our goals
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

~10% and slowly falling. As I sell stocks that have fallen out of my favor, I'm as likely to replace them with mutual funds as I am with other individual stocks. This is especially true of the company stock I get through ESPP and unload after 2 years. I'm rarely doing the reverse, selling mutual funds to buy individual stocks.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

0%, here. I am retired and at this stage I am mostly interested in diversification and lowering risk.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I own one stock. It's the remnants of my 401(k) company match as well as some exercised stock options outside the 401(k). In total, I'd estimate it at roughly 6% of my port. I'm estimating because, for one thing, I don't know exactly what the stock value (reduced for what i owe our Uncle Sam) amounts to. The stock price, i know to the penny each day (if I looked). Now, 6% of one stock might sound like a lot (or heck, maybe a little). At one time, this stock was 70+% of my port as it exploded in value within my 401(k) over a 10 year period. I was able to divest myself of most of it before it shrank to a 1/3 it's highest value. Now, you might ask, why would I keep such a stock (old megacorp, hasn't recovered from big loss in '08, same price it was in '99, blah, blah blah). Well, it's got a low PE ratio (now that it's lost 2/3) AND it's paying over 5% dividend. That's better than anything in my port is doing! So, for now, I'm going to hang on and see what happens. Over my 36 year career, whenever I thought about buying some of this stuff (but never did outside of the 401K)) I always regretted not buying. So now, at least I'll hold.

Oh, I do own one other stock. It's the stock in the family business. It's not even OTC so, it really has no value other than the assets of the company or what my fellow shareholders might pay me to buy me out. I'm calling it 5% of my port and that's a total guess.

I'm okay with my decision on both of these stocks though with a "do over", I would have dumped megacorp at it's high!!! Hind sight and 20/20, and YMMV, etc. etc.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
95% of my equity portfolio is in individual stocks, and has been almost since I started investing. I started doing this to gain more control over timing of gain and loss recognition. That is still a good reason, but there are others too.

Ha
Same for me. The balance(5%) in cash. I like collecting my own dividends.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #18

0%
Before FIRE, I owned stocks and funds. After looking at my track record over several years, I realized that I was mismanaging both. Got rid of the stocks and I feel better about the funds. I want to learn more before I accept the challenge of going back into stocks.

Free to canoe

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

O% in individual stocks these days, down from 100% a decade back. I got lazy...

Now it's:
20% Vanguard Intermediate Term Bond Fund
20% Vanguard Inflation-protected Securities Fund
33.6% Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund
8.4% Vanguard Small-cap Value Fund
18% Vanguard FTSE All-World Ex-US Fund

with bands of 25% up/down from those allocations. I check regularly, every year, and re-balance as needed. (Did I mention I'm lazy?)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

0% individual stocks. Over 85% of our assets are in equities, but all of that is MFs. I feel fine about it.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote