Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Bought Your Powerball Tickets?
Yes 44 55.00%
No, and I won't 35 43.75%
No, but I likely will before tonight's draw 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
No, I won't. So my chance of winning is 0% versus about .0000000001% .

That said, good luck to those who got a ticket.
Good one!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With LBYM I have trouble spending $500, so thinking how to spend $500 million makes me feel sick.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't purchased a ticket in a LONG time, but, I just walked down to the local convenience store just now and there was a couple dozen people lined up... I was like what is going on, is the register broken? Then I realized that this was the lottery line. I normally don't carry much cash but actually had $5 in my wallet. So, when my turn came up I asked for 5 tickets, quick pick. She came back and told me that will be $10!! I was like, nooooo... I just wanted 5 tickets! I only have $5! She informed me that they now cost $2 each. I had to run back home, get my ATM card and I quickly drove back and payed her. I don't know if I would have bought them if I had known they had doubled in price. Oh well, I have thrown $10 away before and probably will again.

Good Luck everyone!
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I haven't purchased a ticket in a LONG time, but, I just walked down to the local convenience store just now and there was a couple dozen people lined up... I was like what is going on, is the register broken? Then I realized that this was the lottery line. I normally don't carry much cash but actually had $5 in my wallet. So, when my turn came up I asked for 5 tickets, quick pick. She came back and told me that will be $10!! I was like, nooooo... I just wanted 5 tickets! I only have $5! She informed me that they now cost $2 each. I had to run back home, get my ATM card and I quickly drove back and payed her. I don't know if I would have bought them if I had known they had doubled in price. Oh well, I have thrown $10 away before and probably will again.

Good Luck everyone!
At least the walk and run back got you some exercise . Good luck!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Hey, you guys all send me a dollar. I promise I'll pay $400M if you pick the winning number.
$1 per year for 400M years.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #26

No time to buy a ticket today, as I was at work. Next time maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
I got mine!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #27

I sure hope if we have a "winnah" here , s/he will let the rest of us know.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

SO bought ours . Believe me if we win you will you will all know !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #29

Lets see, cash option and after taxes maybe around $270 million. Hardly worth buying a ticket for. The lottery is truly a regressive tax on those who can least afford it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #30

I had DW pick ours up today. Have not bought a lottery ticket in many years. And I really didn't care for those odds of winning at 1 in 175 million so I got 5 tickets. Now my odds are 5 in 175 million so just under two hours now until I ER!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #31

I didn't buy a ticket this time, but years ago before there were multi-state lotteries, a co-worker harassed me into buying a state lotto ticket when the odds of winning the jackpot were something like 1:2,000,000 but the jackpot was $5 million. I discovered that it was a dollar well spent although I won nothing. The wonderful daydreams I had all afternoon at work were worth a lot more than $1.

BTW, because they increased the cost of a Powerball ticket this year from $1 to $2, you have to double all of the odds to see what the true odds are for a $1 bet versus the payout. Then there also the possibility of multiple winners to share the jackpot, plus the fact that you buy a ticket with after-tax $$ but win pre-tax $$.

In 1992, an Australian syndicate attempted to buy up all 7 million possible combinations for the Virginia lottery when the jackpot got up to $27 million. They ran out of time and only could buy about 5 1/2 million tickets, but they did in fact buy the winning numbers and had the only winning ticket.

Australian Lotto Group Won't Divulge Winners - Orlando Sentinel

http://www.nytimes.com/eyeblaster/addineyeV2.html
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

You betcha! DW bought them this time for a change in luck. And she picked the numbers instead of me buying quick picks.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #33

I can't believe I forgot to rub my lucky four leaf clover over my tickets!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #34

I didn't win either. But perhaps that's because I forgot to buy a ticket. Buying a lottery ticket is the type of thing I'll do perhaps once a month if I'm in the store and if I think of it at the time.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Someone in Missouri was recorded having this phone conversation:

"Pack your bags, honey, I just won the lottery!"

(Squeals) "What should I pack? Where are we going? The Caribbean beaches? The Alps to ski? Broadway? Paris?"

"I don't care where you go, I just want you out of there when I get home."
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Someone in Missouri was recorded having this phone conversation:

"Pack your bags, honey, I just won the lottery!"

(Squeals) "What should I pack? Where are we going? The Caribbean beaches? The Alps to ski? Broadway? Paris?"

"I don't care where you go, I just want you out of there when I get home."
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

The after tax payout of $270 million with a 4% WD rate is approx $29K per day. That would take some W*rk ...I think I would come out of retirement for that job.
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I won!!!!!!

$4 on $6 bet
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
No, I won't. So my chance of winning is 0% versus about .0000000001% .
I figured if I waited until today, I could buy more than half of yesterday's tickets for about $00.0000000001, and still have about the same chance of winning.

In truth, I considered buying my first ever lottery ticket yesterday. A quick calculation of the supposed estimated cash value of the prize divided by the published odds of winning made it look acceptable. However, then I took into account the chance one or more other tickets would be sharing that estimated cash value, and the economist in me would not let me waste the money.

Instead I saved my $2, and thus expect to have roughly an additional $0.08 available to spend every year for quite a long time relative to my life expectancy.
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsphd View Post
I figured if I waited until today, I could buy more than half of yesterday's tickets for about $00.0000000001, and still have about the same chance of winning.
It turns out Dogbert already sells day old tickets.
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote