Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Bought Your Powerball Tickets?
Yes 44 55.00%
No, and I won't 35 43.75%
No, but I likely will before tonight's draw 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We might have a winner! :

2 Towns Hint at Powerball Winners - Yahoo!

The winner from Arizona hasn't claimed the prize yet. If the winner is this guy in the video, hope he didn't get in a wreck from excitement afterwards

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

<sigh> I didn't win. But I didn't buy a ticket either. I never do, but I still think I could win. That way I get to have all the fun and hope but not spend the money.

I think maybe my spouse bought a ticket but I'm not sure.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I won!!!!!!

$4 on $6 bet

Awwwww...not to worry....you can make that up on volume!!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I won!!!!!!

$4 on $6 bet
My ladyfriend won $7 on a $2 bet......I told her she can use the $5 net profit buy a gallon of gas or 2 rides on the bus LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the winners lives near me. Don't know the guy personally, but a woman in my water aerobics class does. Even less than 7 degress of separation!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
We might have a winner! :

2 Towns Hint at Powerball Winners - Yahoo!

The winner from Arizona hasn't claimed the prize yet. If the winner is this guy in the video, hope he didn't get in a wreck from excitement afterwards
Yeah, I am from Arizona, and I have not even looked at my tickets. Now, where the heck did I put them?

Wait! I did not buy any. Oh well... I was in a shop in Kona when overhearing a customer asking the clerk for a Powerball ticket. It was not available in Hawaii, and I did not even know about the prize amount. I cannot say if I would have bought some, but I did not the last time the grand prize got this high (I also learned about it on this forum too).

That's too bad that I am not a winner. Else, I would share some with people here. Yes, really! It would be something proportional to the number of posts that a member has made. How about something like $1/post? Am I too cheap? How about $10/post? Could I afford $100/post?

Hmm... I would have to be sure to ask Andy to capture and freeze the post numbers before I make the announcement. Imagine how the traffic would crash Andy's server when people scramble to put in silly posts (like one I am making now).

PS. Oh, I just looked at the video in the link. I do not look like the guy in the video, so even if I bought any ticket I would not bother to look for them.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I sure hope the Arizona winner is auditioning lawyers and financial advisors, but I suspect the reality is that they're going through their dirty laundry trying to remember which pocket they left the ticket in.

Quote:
It is fun to dream though.
If I won I would host a huge three-day all expense paid early-retirement.org party in Hawaii! How's that for dreaming!
How much room do you have there Nords?
Plenty of room, but I'm going to have to get more yardwork tools for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh well... I was in a shop in Kona when overhearing a customer asking the clerk for a Powerball ticket. It was not available in Hawaii, and I did not even know about the prize amount.
Hawaii and Utah have outlawed lotteries/gambling. Hypothetically it's illegal even to have a Mainland friend buy a ticket for you and mail it to you.

But it's considered legal to pay income tax on the winnings...

Around here it's a topic of perennial debate, and perhaps one of the reasons why so many Hawaii residents spend so much time/money in Las Vegas.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote