gotta love those monthly statements

Eventually or never.

I'm voting for eventually.

2Cor521

better sell it all! now!! buy b3av3r ch33se!!!

Guess someone has an asset allocation they are not comfortable with :)

The market had such a nice week, though. And honestly, I didn't expect today's rebound. Maybe you gained back some of that $16K today. I just checked, and I have more money today than I have had on any other day in my entire life.

Of course, it is all on paper but it sure LOOKS nice! I thought I should buy something (anything?) to celebrate. In the spirit of LBYM, I considered buying a small plastic container to keep my coffee/decaf mixture in, but decided instead to re-use an old coffee can for the purpose. Old habits die hard. :D

In the spirit of LBYM, I considered buying a small plastic container to keep my coffee/decaf mixture in, but decided instead to re-use an old coffee can for the purpose. Old habits die hard. :D

No "whipperware?"

I just checked, and I have more money today than I have had on any other day in my entire life.

You have done better than most then. Market hasn't done squat over the last 8 years. Congrats on your investment choices. Or is it due to new money added?

You have done better than most then. Market hasn't done squat over the last 8 years. Congrats on your investment choices. Or is it due to new money added?

Oh, it's definitely due to my windfall, most of which was added on Valentine's Day (February 14th) and the remainder on Bastille Day (July 14th). It's definitely not due to any investing acumen. I am just learning. But hey, it's still nice to see my balance recover after the recent dips in the Dow, and come back higher than before. :D

Last edited:
Yep, me, too. And I have enough to last me for the rest of my life.

Provided I die next Thursday, that is...:D

LOL!!! Well, I hope you don't die next Thursday. Glad to hear your accounts are doing well. It's a great feeling, isn't it? :D

another $16,000 lost this month!
when will it end?
Wasn't it you who mentioned losing $35,000 back in June (sorry to have reminded you if it is)? I got figure you have either a very high-risk portfolio or a very large sum sitting in your investments. Maybe both.

That is really tough!! Hang in there. The market is bound to recover eventually. Hope you don't need it soon. :p

Hey, 3-4 weeks ago I said oil was going to drop and the dollar was going up.

Ta da! :)
What I'm glad to see is that Europe is finally accepting that they are going to face an economic "slowdown." Some of their sactamoneous blather earlier this year is coming back to haunt them. Of course, it's all the USA's fault in their minds. I see Europe starting to cut rates. At that point the dollar will take off and oil will continue to fall. If oil falls enough, I'll be "retired" by my current (and final) employer. I'll get to live off the 6 months of severence pay -- anyone know what Texas unemployment insurance is? :p

As far as this year's "carnage," I'm only down a little under 5% for the year and, at the worst, down about 8%. As market meltdowns go, that isn't too serious.

As far as the market going nowhere during the last eight years, I'm about double my assets that I had in 2000. That's the joy of a diversified asset allocation. My foreign holdings had really gone up in that period. I've gotten decent interest rates on my fixed income and reinvested all of my dividends. Every year I've moved money from equities to fixed to maintain my desired asset allocation. Even with the downturn of this year, rebalancing today would move only a very small amount from fixed income to equities. Surprisingly, it would all go into foreign equities.

As far as $16,000 goes, I go up or down that amount about 2 or 3 times every week. I really have to stop checking my stocks so often.

I look at it this way. It could be and someday will be worse :) Then again I also realize things might get better. O0

when will it end?

Take cover under your desks, kids!

I thank my lucky stars that only one of my seven financial accounts mails out a monthly statement. That one took only a couple of hundred dollars hit and it contains some equities. To figure the total hit, I would have to do some w*rk, haven't done it yet; may challenge myself to wait until the end of the third quarter. Be an optimist, wear a blindfold. Carry on.

Back
Top Bottom