Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think 20 cents is gouging. Back in 2001, on 9/11 our local gas station nearly doubled the gas price. They later refunded the difference to anyone that came in and complained.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We gas up at the rez...no tax.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious if the OP has any response to the comments so far.

In case some of them got too long, I'll try a concise version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
I think it was Saturday night when the news broke outbought the Saudi oilfield drone hit. The next morning our local gas station had raised prices $.20. Is that ridiculous?
No.

Your opinions?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
I don't think 20 cents is gouging. Back in 2001, on 9/11 our local gas station nearly doubled the gas price. They later refunded the difference to anyone that came in and complained.
Here I noticed that morning one Texaco station had raised its price to nearly $6/gallon.

But by that evening Texaco corporate was stripping their signage & pumping out the tanks.

An independent later bought that station.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tend to believe that competition prevents gouging.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
... But by that evening Texaco corporate was stripping their signage & pumping out the tanks. ...
Dead cert that was an independently owned station. This is damage control by a smart Texaco regional manager.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Gouging
Old 09-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Gouging

Happy that I live in a primarily free market economy where there is competition for the cost of goods and services! Happy that I live near a Costco for lower gas prices! Unhappy I have a state Govt, CA, that is happy to tax gas high enough to be $1.00 to 1.50 per gallon higher than neighboring states[emoji35]
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
I tend to believe that competition prevents gouging.
In business collusion is one way of competing. The only thing they cannot tolerate is the customer knowing what's being done to them
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Didn't notice since I still have half a tank in the car. I just checked to see when I last bought gas: August 5th, so I should be able to make it to November since I will be flying out of town in a few weeks for the rest of October.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
If you google "inflation adjusted gasoline prices" you will see that the current ~$2.60/gal is just about the average over the last 30 or 40 years - accounting for inflation. So not really high or low right now.
I keep my my gas receipts going back at least 13 years. I paid as low as $1.70/gal in the last couple years where I live, but the gas tax was doubled this year, and prices have continued to climb. I get decent gas mileage, but I'm cutting back even more on driving to compensate for the big climb in prices.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
I keep my my gas receipts going back at least 13 years.
It's nice to have a hobby.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
I keep my my gas receipts going back at least 13 years. I paid as low as $1.70/gal in the last couple years where I live, but the gas tax was doubled this year, and prices have continued to climb. I get decent gas mileage, but I'm cutting back even more on driving to compensate for the big climb in prices.
the principal station we use is $2.79 today. my log shows it was $2.65 a year ago, roughly a 5% increase. and our gas tax in illinois has also doubled.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
It is really surprising to me the number of posters in this thread who do not understand basic microeconomics. For example, "supply and demand" refers to people who sell an item (supply) and people who buy it (demand). It has nothing to do with the supplier's cost for the item.
Surprising? Not to me after looking at not only this thread but many posts on many threads. In the "real world", it is even worse - never ending talk about how unfair things are and how they need to be changed (in a way that ignores basic economic principles). While not perfect, in the distant past many were taught basic economics and a bit of how markets work, e.g. "supply and demand". It appears that is no longer the case, and we are even seeing more and more of it even here on ER.

I better stop now else I wander into forbidden discussions.

signed, BS Economics & Phi Beta Kappa member.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Surprising? Not to me after looking at not only this thread but many posts on many threads. In the "real world", it is even worse - never ending talk about how unfair things are and how they need to be changed (in a way that ignores basic economic principles). While not perfect, in the distant past many were taught basic economics and a bit of how markets work, e.g. "supply and demand". It appears that is no longer the case, and we are even seeing more and more of it even here on ER.

I better stop now else I wander into forbidden discussions.

signed, BS Economics & Phi Beta Kappa member.
How about people including elected officials with degrees in economics who seem to have no understanding of it? And I think we are all aware of such folks. Otherwise, you would have to be ignoring the news, perhaps blissfully. See if you can decipher my point.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

No matter the situation, our local Shell always has the lowest prices in our area except Costco among the stations with the "cleaner detergent" gasoline.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the responses. It just amazes me how you can almost guess when prices will rise based on global issues. The news said the other night that MN get 99% of its gas from Canada and No Dakota. I understand oil/gas is a global market so Saudi attack will everyone. I agree that gas here is a bargain, but I think the local stations overreact when they can. If one raises prices they all match. Just whistling in the wind
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #57
gone traveling

Buy a BEV.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #58

I just go to the gas station in our local shopping center. We don't drive 15K miles/year, so I don't care about the price of gas (within reason). My "money time" is best spent elsewhere.

I don't think convenience stores have realized significant profits on gasoline for decades. However, its a rare day when I go inside on of these. Those buck-seventy-five pints of water and $8 six packs of ol' Bladder Buster are enough to convince me to get water and beer down the road. I also believe the real money in retail gas was back in the day (God, I'm old) when the gas station vacuumed your car and cleaned the windows with any fill-up. Let's not overlook a decent guy gapping points and plugs, while doing the 3K mile oil change.

Locally, gas has been hovering around $2.60. Last week, while in LA, I had the pleasure of paying a buck (+) more. WRT to gasoline, I'm much more leery of govy theft than merchant shenanigans.

But if you wanna start a real dust up, let's commiserate about Blue Rhino selling 17 pounds of propane in every 20 gallon tank.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
But if you wanna start a real dust up, let's commiserate about Blue Rhino selling 17 pounds of propane in every 20 gallon tank.
I thought for safety reasons they're only allowed to fill propane tanks to 80% capacity. So 16 pounds in a 20 pound tank? Our local Costco calls it a 20 pound tank "fill" instead of selling it as 20 pounds. I assume the "fill" is 16 pounds...I'll have to weigh it before and after next time.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I thought for safety reasons they're only allowed to fill propane tanks to 80% capacity.
On the Baja, in our Pleasure Way, the propane stations were outside of town, (due to 'accidents' we were told)........before we could halt them we had our tank overfilled by two kids who appeared to be 12 years old, and had to release some propane into the wind.