Government workers are the richest folks? Maybe so.

Certain applications of government are unsuitable for private sector employment.

Police, fire departments, air traffic control and government workers where there is a need for strict regulation of work are not conducive to for profit organizations.
What about the earlier example of Rural Metro? They provide ambulance/rescue/fire to hundreds of communities while remaining profitable.

What about the highly trained private security force around Palo Verde nuclear plant, or guarding diplomats in Iraq?

What about the highly trained private security force around Palo Verde nuclear plant, or guarding diplomats in Iraq?

I don't know anything about Palo Verde, but I think DynCorp and some of the other "security" companies aren't really saving the US any money in Iraq. They are making certain corporations tons of money and there are some behind the scenes politics there. If DynCorp could take over all the police forces they would love it. They could make a ton of money.

What about the earlier example of Rural Metro? They provide ambulance/rescue/fire to hundreds of communities while remaining profitable.

Don't confuse security with police forces or the armed forces.

I can guarantee you the government won't privatize the armed forces or they would be ceding the nations security to private corporations. Don't they have science fiction movies about what would happen in the long run?:D

My wife was going for one of these jobs earlier in the year in Texas. Unfortunately, she didn't get it.

But get this: I believe the pension plan required the employee to put in 7% of their pay. The employer then matches something like 160% (!) of the employee contributions (i.e. the employee contributes $100 and the employer kicks in $160). And the current law guarantees a safe 7% return on pension assets for the workers! How would you like to be earning a safe 7% right now in your retirement savings?

Your tax dollars at work. I dare say any private enterprise making these deals would likely be out of business due to cost pressures.

We've already determined that govt pensions are good deals for the employee. Nobody is arguing or denying that.

I contribute 8.5% and the city contributes 24%.

We're just saying thats the total package when salary is figured in is more or less the same and if its not, then anyone who can meet the qualifications is welcome to come join us. If you dont, or didnt choose to then dont complain. I dont complain that I didnt become a doctor and make $200K per year. That was my choice.

Lets not forget that govt hiring requirements are quite a bit stricter than most private companies and at least in my line or work, you are held to a much higher standard on and off duty. My lifestyle is alot more restrictive than most peoples is.

So they are saying us gov't workers are better off due solely to our pensions? As far as I know, my pension isn't guaranteed NOT change in the 14-18 years I'll still be working.

Isn't that like saying I'll be rich based on my 12% projected market returns? Its not real money.

Back
Top Bottom