Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had horse in Paris years ago although I didn't know it until after the meal. Now I just view this news as another reason to minimize red meat consumption. However, I'll start tomorrow as I'm ready to put a couple of T-bones on the grill.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oooo! I just ate some raw oysters! Yum! Yep - if you're eating the whole critter, you're eating everything.

...So I don't think we have to worry about pink slime - gross!
Eh, the entire oyster is gray slime!

Anyway, I was just joking in trying to point out that what we want to eat and what we consider gross is very subjective.

I do not eat raw oysters because I do not think I would like it, not because I think it would be harmful or gross. I do not eat a cold slice of pizza, or cold fried chicken for the same reason. So, I was making the point that a simple mention of "fecal matter" makes people cringe, but yet, they would willingly consume it on occasions.

My daughter and my son do not eat shrimp. More than that, my son cannot stand the smell of shrimp, and cannot be present at the table when my wife and I eat shrimp. It would gag him, as we would do if we saw someone swallowed coach roaches, or earthworms, or something like that.

We fed our children the same thing we ate when they were growing up. How they changed in their early teens was beyond me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, the entire oyster is gray slime!
Yes, but it is fresh gray slime, produced by the sea, not some horrible concoction cooked up in a processing plant with ammonia added - yech!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And you thought he would say something different?
I also talked to a butcher (well, a guy in the meat department) of my local store. He showed my how to tell the ground beef that comes from the "central plant" and the stuff they make right there. The stuff in the "tubes" comes from somewhere else entirely. In the case of Kroger, the styrofoam tray stuff with a colored label comes from the "central plant" and the packages with a black-and-white label are ground up right in the store's meat department. I didn't ask about the slime.
Costco owns their meat processing plant.

"ABC News asked around and reported that Costco, Whole Foods, and Kroger do not carry meat that includes "pink slime," though this report says some of Kroger's meat does. Costco's vice president of quality assurance was quite explicit about rejecting the product, telling ABC that "Anything that we sell at Costco we want to explain its origins, and I personally don't know how to explain trim treated with ammonia in our ground beef." "

It looks like we can't count on Fred Meyer ground beef being 'pink slime' free unless it is labeled organic.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

No slime for me!

I tried a veggie burger today(Boca brand) and was surprised with the good taste. Tasted like a flame broiled burger, maybe a tad on the dry side. But not bad. I added a little Worcestershire sauce and garlic pepper as I cooked it, a slice of cheese and condiments to a garlic toasted bun and I was good to go. Oh yes, baked some sweet potato fries and had a pretty tasty lunch. I tried a veggie burger many years ago, but just couldn't go them. Either my taste buds have changed or they have improved.

I'm sure I will have a good old fashion artery clogging burger every not and then. But this is not a bad substitute.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We'd like to see Dawg52 doing non-alcoholic beer next.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We'd like to see Dawg52 doing non-alcoholic beer next.
No non-alcoholic beer for me!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Either my taste buds have changed or they have improved.
They've improved quite a bit.

Besides, there is so much more to a good burger these days than ground beef. The meat is probably the least important thing. In fact, I'll opt for something else, almost anything else, if all we're talking about is grilled ground beef on a bun.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - to me, what's the point of a ground beef burger? Ground beef doesn't have much flavor which is probably another reason I don't buy it.

Now a steak sandwich - that I can really appreciate!!!!

Audrey
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

After reading these,I have the sudden urge for haggis with some oatmeal stout.Power meal indeed.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #31

I only ever buy ground beef from a butcher who will let me specify the meat which goes into the grinder, and is prepared to put it through twice (for beef; not necessary for lamb). Depending on the recipe, this can be quite a fatty (aka cheap) cut of beef (and of course, all lamb is quite fatty).

Many butchers round here don't like grinding lamb, as they have to chase the last bits away with some beef afterwards. In my experience, halal (Muslim) butchers are much more flexible about this, perhaps because their culture's cooking uses a lot more ground lamb.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Would the price of ground beef increase if pink slime was not applied, err added? I bet it would.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No slime for me!

I never watched much TV. So just now caught up with this episode of Seinfeld.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I never watched much TV. So just now caught up with this episode of Seinfeld.

As you probably guessed, one of my all time favorite episodes of the show.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Would the price of ground beef increase if pink slime was not applied, err added? I bet it would.
Now that the public knows about pink slime you know the price will increase and will be advertised as "pink slime free" to justify the increase.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #36

A major food chain in the Northeast just announced it was removing 'pink slime' from their ground beef. I had emailed them about a year ago asking if they used it and I never got a reply. Now I know why.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No slime for me!

I tried a veggie burger today(Boca brand) and was surprised with the good taste. Tasted like a flame broiled burger, maybe a tad on the dry side. But not bad. I added a little Worcestershire sauce and garlic pepper as I cooked it, a slice of cheese and condiments to a garlic toasted bun and I was good to go. Oh yes, baked some sweet potato fries and had a pretty tasty lunch. I tried a veggie burger many years ago, but just couldn't go them. Either my taste buds have changed or they have improved.

I'm sure I will have a good old fashion artery clogging burger every not and then. But this is not a bad substitute.

i have to agree with your assessment of the Boca Burger. I cook mine in the oven. If it turns out too dry for your taste, a few drops of olive oil on top will make it moist and tasty on a bun with mustard, kechup, lettuce and tomato.

Boca also makes an imitation German sausage which is also kind of dry when heated in the oven. Again, a few drops of oilve oil on top will make it tasty with mustard.
james7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #38

An update:
Quote:
A group of BPI workers showed up at the lobby of NBC affiliate KWWL in Waterloo, Iowa Monday. They say they are angry about attacks on their company and misinformation in news reports about so-called “pink slime”.

The BPI employees say recent public attacks have crippled their company which has resulted in the indefinite closure of BPI’s plant in Waterloo. More than 200 people are now out of work.

BPI plants in Garden City, Kansas and Amarillo, Texas have also been indefinitely suspended.
Meat Workers Defend

In a similar story, I believe I heard that a typical carcass yields about 10 pounds of this stuff (whatever you call it). If the total meat from a steer is about 500 pounds, then it seems the impact on the price of hamburger would be no more than 2% (yeah, I know it's more complicated than that, but I'm ball-parking).
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I usually buy nice cuts of beef and grind them myself (2 passes).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The price of pet food should be decreasing.