Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I've thought about this. Not from a divorce standpoint, but in terms of what if my husband were to die. In almost all married couples, one of the two will die first and that will often result in a loss of income, if only from loss of one SS income.

So part of prudent planning for retirement is determining if you could make it on your own.

In doing that, I realize that one way that costs get reduced when there is only one is that you only have to make yourself happy. For example... we own a house on acreage and in a subdivision with no pet restrictions because having large dogs is important to DH. I would have been happy with a less expensive house in a "regular" subdivision since having the dogs is not that important to me.

On the other hand, DH didn't care that much about some of the aspects of the house (the kitchen, for example) that were important to me. If he was buying a house alone, he would have the house on acreage, etc. but would probably have a house that had less granite and stainless steel.

So his ideal house and my ideal house are each cheaper than the house we bought that kept both of us happy.

A lot of the expenditures are that way. Things that are important to DH may not be important for me and vice versa. When projecting it I realized that my expenses alone - while a bit more than half of our combined expenses weren't much more than half.
Good thoughts, I've gone down the same road.

How much will my wife need after I'm gone? For her, staying in this house as long as possible would be non-negotiable. But, she'd be perfectly happy if she never traveled anywhere again.

Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
My personal pet peeve is men who complain about having to support the little woman who made their home and raised their kids. I dated a divorced guy like this - a 1%er (1m per year). His wife skipped college to support him through law school, and by agreement stayed home and raised the kids so he could be a master of the universe. Of course 20 years later he wanted to trade her in for a new model....I met him like 5 years after the divorce.

He complained bitterly that he had to share "his" money with her, and felt that at 50 she should go back to college and build a career. I could never live with a guy like this. My current husband is not a complainer about that sort of thing.

BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My divorce was great for my financial health, but, initially, not for my emotional well being.

I did my own divorce, so spent nothing on lawyers. My wife didn't want any of the retirement accounts, even though I and her lawyer told her she should take her half. We just split the after tax accounts, house and furniture 50/50 - no alimony. I spend less and save a lot more as a single.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote