Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is our first year of monitoring expenses very closely. We've found that we're spending more than we thought. So, with the down turn, it would seem prudent to cut back. Still, with my investments more prone to inflation risk than market risk, I'm of two minds about cutting back. Maybe we should spend it before it becomes worthless! We're still well below our SWR. Although our equities are down big-time, our overall stash isn't doing too badly.

I guess I'll think about this next week.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At the end of 2010, our cumulative underspending for the first 3.5 years of retirement totaled $96,000. That is, we'd spent 96K less that our 4% inflation-adjusted SWR allowed for. That's why I don't feel that we need to adjust spending downward.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
This is our first year of monitoring expenses very closely. We've found that we're spending more than we thought. So, with the down turn, it would seem prudent to cut back. Still, with my investments more prone to inflation risk than market risk, I'm of two minds about cutting back. Maybe we should spend it before it becomes worthless! We're still well below our SWR. Although our equities are down big-time, our overall stash isn't doing too badly.

I guess I'll think about this next week.
I can relate to that! I do wonder if inflation will rise. For years I have considered that to be a certainty at some point, but it is difficult to predict when it will occur.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
One day when Microsoft stock dropped a lot, Jay Leno had a joke:

"Yesterday Bill Gates lost about a billion dollars. Do you think that when he went to lunch today, he said 'Well, maybe I'll only have a single burger instead of a double burger'"?
No, but I'll bet he skipped the extra slice of cheese.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I just pulled the plug... We just began! I am planning a trip right now. No plans to adjust down. We have a conservative plan anyway.

Only live once. The only way I would reduce our planned spending level is if there was a sustained market cut for years (e.g., Japan).
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Each year since I retired in 2007 I have had a large surplus at the end of the year so I will just continue with my frugal (cheap ) ways . I may rethink my Italy trip if this downturn continues .
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Not sure I can get any cheaper more frugal...

Wonder if used dryer sheets are any good for removing glass from peanut butter?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Not sure I can get any cheaper more frugal...

Wonder if used dryer sheets are any good for removing glass from peanut butter?
That's only semi-frugal. Really frugal is checking to see if they will remove spit from toothpaste...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's only semi-frugal. Really frugal is checking to see if they will remove spit from toothpaste...

No really frugal is eating recycled dryer sheet sandwiches and skipping the peanut butter !
Old 08-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #50

Are we sure it isn't time for the Four Yorshiremen?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Several of us have said that when markets fall, we plan to spend less than our usual SWR during a thriving market.
Are you starting to feel that way, yet? I am already thinking of putting off some furniture purchases, and I haven't browsed on Amazon even once since that first drop last week.
I'd say that this would be a great time to do more furniture shopping on Craigslist.

At Hale Nords we've started a familyroom renovation that should crank the spending throttle wide open. Maybe if other home-improvement wannabes are panicked into slamming shut their wallets, the contractor will stay motivated enough to spend more time with us. But we're still waiting on the designs to be finished, so it's too early to tell yet.

We've already decided to replace our 14-year-old Altima, and I don't see a stock-market speed bump causing panicked investors to sell their transportation. But maybe things will be different in a month or so.

I renewed my taekwondo annual contract last night-- but that was already a bargain at $85/month.

We bought a new toilet at Home Depot yesterday. I guess that raises our SWR too?

It's tempting to dump a wad of cash into the market, but we already have "enough". Not much motivation to chase after "more than enough".

However today our 18-year-old daughter may send another $200 to her Fidelity account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Greater LBYM inspired by falling market?
Yes....I'm taking $1k instead of $2k for a spur-of-the-moment night of gambling.
Breaking news: "Bbbami cuts her gambling losses in half!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We bought a new toilet at Home Depot yesterday...

It's tempting to dump ...
Very subtle sentence structure...

Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Are we sure it isn't time for the Four Yorshiremen?
Maybe one - four would be wasteful on this thread.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cutting back? I'm selling a house. Several offers are in play, including above asking price. A corporation made the low-ball bid. If they want to expand, they now are going to have to negotiate with the NEW owners. A corporation trying to gouge because of market conditions and their business is expanding rubbed me wrong.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Breaking news: "Bbbami cuts her gambling losses in half!!"
The odds are in that favor.

The past few months have turned me into a pressure cooker. If I don't let a little steam off, I'm gonna blow. I guarantee you that mess will cost more than $1k to clean up...
Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No really frugal is eating recycled dryer sheet sandwiches and skipping the peanut butter !
And as I read your post, I was thinking... Oh, we would have loved to have been able to eat recycled dryer sheet sandwiches!

Then I read on to Koolau's post, and I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything at the keyboard...

Yes, it is time! Here is the old original pre-Monty Python that I much prefer:

If the latest market gyrations have anyone contemplating jumping out the window, at least watch the video first
Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #57

No changes here either. Still planning to go back to Central America a couple of times a year to support and operate free clinics, and still supporting free clinics initiatives here in the US. Not retired yet (but I will next year, hopefully). I have not cut any other expenses.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Very subtle sentence structure...
And here I was thinking that my sense of humor was too subtle for the audience...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #59

The downturn is actually helping me to spend. I've been upgrading my backpacking gear and as I was mentally debating whether to go ahead and buy the new sleeping bag I thought of how useful the backpacking gear will be if the US economy goes belly up. I will head to the hills with my new gear and sleep in comfort as I watch the smoke rise up from the city.
-helen

Proud new owner of a Western Mountaineering Ultralight sleeping bag - the sleeping bag is almost as light as my wallet.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And here I was thinking that my sense of humor was too subtle for the audience...
Why this board is flush with subtlety...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote