Join Early Retirement Today

Greece Debt - Wouldn't this be a form of default?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Greece Debt - Wouldn't this be a form of default?

They are doing all they can to try to call it something else.

But.... default, bailout, or some sort of negotiated bankruptcy... seems to me somebody isn't going to get paid.

UPDATE 4-Greece to face inspectors, Merkel hints at bailout change | Reuters

Quote:
The second bailout aims to ease Greece's debt burden by imposing a 21 percent loss on private Greek bondholders.
After intensifying debate among economists and policymakers that only a 50 percent loss would make the country's debt viable, more investors have signed up to the bond exchange plan, Greek financial daily Naftemporiki reported.
Citing an unidentified finance ministry official, it said Greece's weeks-long struggle to lure private bondholders into the rescue plan had ended with it reaching the 90 percent participation target.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My understanding is that there is no "default" option written into the Euro legalities. Not that any government would actually speak that clearly, but there may also be a legal need to call it something else. At least they are getting a bit more serious this time.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think governments and the EU get to call these things anything they choose.

The market will decide if it is a "default."

IMO, Germany would be better off if they stopped pumping euros into the black hole that is Greece. Bump Greece out of the Eurozone, let them revert to the drachma and inflate it as much as they choose. Germany could use their euros to prop up their own banks (big losers in the Greek debacle).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

In the bond business a 'default' is technically not paying interest or principal when due...

If you can get the person to agree to take 80 cents on the dollar and pay them that 80 cents prior to when it was due.... it is not a 'default'....

Sure, the bondholder got shafted, but it was his choice...

Most companies (and it looks like gvmts also) will do a lot of things to prevent a default... because it creates a lot of unwanted covenants to be broken in almost every loan they have....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think governments and the EU get to call these things anything they choose.

The market will decide if it is a "default."

It looks like some market participants already have.

Quote:
It costs $6.1 million upfront and $100,000 annually to insure $10 million of Greek debt for five years. An increase signals worsening perceptions of credit quality; a decline, the opposite.
Sovereign Credit Swap Index Falls in Europe, Reversing Increase - Businessweek
Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

That's the key -- what the language is in the CDS agreements.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I really am curious how the CDS are worded. Is in any change to the term and interest rated considered a default? of is as Texas Proud suggest if the bond holder agrees it isn't a default.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
gone traveling

Didn't they raise the property tax also to pay debt? I hope Greece does NOT default. This effects the Stock market.

I have shares in Bank of Ireland.
ER Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have read that certain events may not trigger CDS payouts.

If all of the PIIGs do not get their austerity acts together.... it appears that there is not enough money in the bailout fund.

I have been seeing some people say it will take them a decade to get it all settled because of the complications of different governments, lack of cooperation and gaps in their monetary system.

Quote:
But there is now widespread agreement among economists and investors that the €440 billion fund is not big enough to be effective if some of the larger euro area economies fail.
Some economists have estimated that the fund would need up to €2 trillion to bail out Spain or Italy. Both nations are struggling with unsustainable levels of debt and dim economic prospects.

Euro stability fund is a mirage - Sep. 28, 2011
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I have been seeing some people say it will take them a decade to get it all settled because of the complications of different governments, lack of cooperation and gaps in their monetary system.
They may never get it settled. Monetary union can't work unless the nations either have political union or at least a common monetary policy/approach to govt spending, etc. This was supposed to be provided for in the earlier EU framework, but the details never got sorted out and the existing rules/good practice weren't enforced. Now the market is enforcing them. The market will also enforce discipline in the US, at our great expense, if we can't muster the political will to do it ourselves.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
They may never get it settled. Monetary union can't work unless the nations either have political union or at least a common monetary policy/approach to govt spending, etc. This was supposed to be provided for in the earlier EU framework, but the details never got sorted out and the existing rules/good practice weren't enforced. Now the market is enforcing them. The market will also enforce discipline in the US, at our great expense, if we can't muster the political will to do it ourselves.
It will get settled one way or the other. Default, EU departures, EU breakup, bailout, etc.

I have been reading that some think Greece is either in a depression or will be declared that way soon.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #12

Here in Spain I am constantly hearing politicians say -with a stern and authoritative tone- that we have -collectively as a nation- been spending vastly above our means and productivity, and they explain it away with the metaphor of a family that spends more than it earns.
Well, in this national family, who has been in charge for the last few years, if not the politicians themselves?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Here in Spain I am constantly hearing politicians say -with a stern and authoritative tone- that we have -collectively as a nation- been spending vastly above our means and productivity, and they explain it away with the metaphor of a family that spends more than it earns.
Well, in this national family, who has been in charge for the last few years, if not the politicians themselves?
Yeah. What is this "we" nonsense?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
gone traveling

Anyone holding any financial stocks from Europe?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Man View Post
Anyone holding any financial stocks from Europe?
How about you? Holding any brewers from Benin?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How about you? Holding any brewers from Benin?
Just IRE.