Join Early Retirement Today

Greenspan is either suffering from senility, or is a dolt.......
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Greenspan is either suffering from senility, or is a dolt.......

Greenspan "shocked" at credit system breakdown - Yahoo! News

I lose more respect for him everyday. he's acting weirder by the day.....

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

He is 82 years old....so.....

Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
He is 82 years old....so.....
And married to Andrea Mitchell, so I give him kudos for being an overachiever.........

Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

See, his rating just went up, huh?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Someone needs to be the goat.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #6

He's been made the goat for the last two weeks. Just sounds like he's 'fessing up.

He is after all an economist, and the phrase "all other things being equal," is often in their writings. Of course, all other things are never equal.

-- Rita
Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #7

He doesn't care if he talks the market down. He's probably rather comfortable in retirement from his speaking engagements and his pension. Must be nice.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
He doesn't care if he talks the market down. He's probably rather comfortable in retirement from his speaking engagements and his pension. Must be nice.
The more he talks, the dumber he sounds. His legacy is being tarnished more and more each day.........

Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
The more he talks, the dumber he sounds. His legacy is being tarnished more and more each day.........
And it's interesting how the market's opinion has changed. Ten or fifteen years ago they loved him. Now they see what Easy Al and his bubblicious monetary policy has done.

He's just like Bernanke, Bush and Paulson now -- when he speaks, markets tank. There is no clearer vote of no confidence in the financial markets than that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And it's interesting how the market's opinion has changed. Ten or fifteen years ago they loved him. Now they see what Easy Al and his bubblicious monetary policy has done.

He's just like Bernanke, Bush and Paulson now -- when he speaks, markets tank. There is no clearer vote of no confidence in the financial markets than that.
Maybe Obama will rally the markets as Prez.........

Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #11

Quote:

Hmmm. . . it seems to me he was able to get the markets to tank every time he testified before Congress. He held all the strings and the market knew it. If he was upbeat in his testimony, stocks were up. If he expressed concern ('irrational exhuberance'), stocks tanked.

-- Rita
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #12

I think this is a big piece of the problem:

Quote:
"Those of us who have looked to the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholder's equity (myself especially) are in a state of shocked disbelief," said Greenspan, who stepped down from the Fed in 2006.
The anti-regulation group believed that the invisible hand would work efficiently in this situation. They certainly understood the concepts of "principal-agency problem" and "negative externalities", but they bet that these would be small issues.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #13

By the way: The thread title needs to be changed. I don't think this an either/or situation.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
And married to Andrea Mitchell, so I give him kudos for being an overachiever.........
Maybe that's a symptom of cerebral blood flow suffering from the hydraulic demands of other parts of his body. We should all enjoy our ERs this much, right?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #15

Gosh I forgot who selected Greenspan. Anyone jog my memory for me?:confused:
Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yuck...Andrea Mitchell and Alan Greenspan deserve each other!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #17

Quote:
By the way: The thread title needs to be changed. I don't think this an either/or situation.
Exactly. Could be both.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I think this is a big piece of the problem:
The anti-regulation group believed that the invisible hand would work efficiently in this situation. They certainly understood the concepts of "principal-agency problem" and "negative externalities", but they bet that these would be small issues.
Yeah, pretty amazing huh?
Quote:
Today, the former chairman asked: ``What went wrong with global economic policies that had worked so effectively for nearly four decades?'' During his term at the Fed's helm, Greenspan repeatedly warned lawmakers against inhibiting markets, such as by tightening oversight of certain types of derivatives.

Greenspan, reiterated his ``shocked disbelief'' that financial companies failed to execute sufficient ``surveillance'' on their trading counterparties to prevent surging losses. The ``breakdown'' was clearest in the market where securities firms packaged home mortgages into debt sold on to other investors, he said. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...BSM&refer=home
What was completely forgotten about the lessons of unfettered capitalism is that ultimately greed trumps prudence. Corporate officers and higher-ups sometimes start thinking short-term and raking in the fees/bonuses while totally blowing off the long-term consequences, because they don't intend to stick around to face the music! Under these circumstances, who cares about shareholders, customers, or anybody else?

That is why some level of financial company regulation is required - to stop short-term greedy risk-taking from putting the entire financial system in jeopardy. If a company is big enough to shock the financial system and badly hurt other companies and/or the economy, then there must be some level of controls to ensure some level of prudence.

Audrey
Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Like virtually any other bureaucrat or politician one sees on TV, Greenspan is lying.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, pretty amazing huh?

What was completely forgotten about the lessons of unfettered capitalism is that ultimately greed trumps prudence. Corporate officers and higher-ups sometimes start thinking short-term and raking in the fees/bonuses while totally blowing off the long-term consequences, because they don't intend to stick around to face the music! Under these circumstances, who cares about shareholders, customers, or anybody else?

That is why some level of financial company regulation is required - to stop short-term greedy risk-taking from putting the entire financial system in jeopardy. If a company is big enough to shock the financial system and badly hurt other companies and/or the economy, then there must be some level of controls to ensure some level of prudence.

Audrey
Very well said. Idealism of any type, not tempered by healthy skepticism and an understanding of basic human nature, will usually lead to bad results. That applies to both ends of the ideological spectrum.