Join Early Retirement Today

Greenspan: The Fed is Blameless
Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Greenspan op-ed in yesterdays FT: (forgive me if this has been posted already)

FT.com / Home UK / UK - The Fed is blameless on the property bubble

Meanwhile today Greg Ip has a piece in the Journal about Greenspan defending himself.

This is great:

Quote:
He chuckles at political cartoons, such as one likening his recent memoir, "The Age of Turbulence," to O.J. Simpson's "If I Did It."

Missed that cartoon.

Anyway, here's the Ip piece:

His Legacy Tarnished, Greenspan Goes on Defensive - WSJ.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I saw that FT column. Beats me why they continue to give him a platform.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Missed that cartoon.
Here you go: The Cartoonist Group - Image View and Uses
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think Bernanke is cleaning up Greenspan's "messes"..........wasn't Greenspan the guy who "moved too fast" and made the tech wreck worse, then overreacted after 9/11 and cut rates to the bone.........seems to me he made PLENTY of errors.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think Bernanke was way too tentative and slow in responding to the market turmoil last summer. Its reasonably clear that the "real" economy is worse off than it had to be had not the Fed been so slow to respond.

As for Greenspan, I wish he would shut up.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What else is he supposed to say? If the Fed is to blame, then he is to blame too...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Should the government react to market turmoil in a free market system?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Should the government react to market turmoil in a free market system?
Dunno about the gummint, but that is exactly what the Fed was created for.

- George Orwell

Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #9

Hindsight is 20/20 .
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Dunno about the gummint, but that is exactly what the Fed was created for.
The FED is part of the Government. The president appoints it's leader. So all those that say free markets work and the market will always work itself out are full of baloney?
I think the FED is partly to blame for the mess in the first place.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think Bernanke was way too tentative and slow in responding to the market turmoil last summer. Its reasonably clear that the "real" economy is worse off than it had to be had not the Fed been so slow to respond.

As for Greenspan, I wish he would shut up.
Sometimes I wonder if Greenspan's constant yammering and books, talk shows, and such is an attempt to psychologically complete the transfer of power. He was in charge for such a long, long time that for some it may have been difficult to stop hanging on his every word or thinking that he was working with Bernanke behind the scenes. But by blathering, he is taking the fact that what he says no longer matters, and shoving it in our faces.

Bernanke is doing OK, I guess, though I will not feel sure of that for another year or two. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
The FED is part of the Government. The president appoints it's leader. So all those that say free markets work and the market will always work itself out are full of baloney?
I think the FED is partly to blame for the mess in the first place.
Yes, they are full of baloney. Happy to sort that out for you.

- George Orwell

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #13

Greenspan=the bubble boy
Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #14

Another article: FT.com / Columnists / Martin Wolf - Why Greenspan does not bear most of the blame.

Quote:
Why are so many Americans determined to blame Mr Greenspan for the mess? I can see three reasons. One is that it is far more painful to admit that the US was, in large measure, the victim of circumstances beyond its control. Another is that it is far easier to complain that the Fed made us do things we now bitterly regret than take responsibility for one’s own mistakes. Last, the more one can blame the Fed, the more reasonable become demands for bail-outs now flooding into Washington.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Greenspan is a major enabler of our current economic disaster, but by no means the sole perpetrator. He is like the man that supplies the gun and ammunition for a murder.

Future generations will curse him in his grave, as they will Bernanke, and he knows it, and it bothers him desperately.

His reputation(and millions of dollars and worldwide fame) are all he has left.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #16

Fed Chairman has to be the ultimate "damned if you do", "damned if you don't" job. Did Greenspan's Fed decisions enable the current crisis yes. Was it foreseeable? I'm not so sure. I lay the blame at greedy hedge fund managers looking for higher return, a lending industry ready, willing and able to create it and borrowers not doing due dilligence or greedily thinking they were going to make a killing in RE.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #17

Here's an article from 2004 that contains Greenspan's worst advice to American homeowners:

USATODAY.com - Greenspan says ARMs might be better deal

"American consumers might benefit if lenders provided greater mortgage product alternatives to the traditional fixed-rate mortgage," Greenspan said.

Oops.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great find, Hamlet!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Here's an article from 2004 that contains Greenspan's worst advice to American homeowners:

USATODAY.com - Greenspan says ARMs might be better deal

"American consumers might benefit if lenders provided greater mortgage product alternatives to the traditional fixed-rate mortgage," Greenspan said.

Oops.
Actually, he is correct. ARMs and hybrid ARMs (5/1, etc.) generally provide lower all-in costs vs. 30 year fixed loans. What happened is that people went nuts with their mortgages. For those with a smidge of discipline and common sense (a depressingly small portion of the Merkin population), ARMS are in fact a better choice.

- George Orwell

Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually, he is correct. ARMs and hybrid ARMs (5/1, etc.) generally provide lower all-in costs vs. 30 year fixed loans. What happened is that people went nuts with their mortgages. For those with a smidge of discipline and common sense (a depressingly small portion of the Merkin population), ARMS are in fact a better choice.
Well yeah, we can claim the un-sophisticated masses jumped at the situation, up to a point. But wasn't it the packaging and 'on-selling' of the 'leveraged' debts several times over, before they became payable, into the amorphos 'derivitives' market that has really caused the financial meltdown?

To me this is sophistry and 'creative accounting' at it's best/worst

At the end of the day, the uber-smart 'investment' bankers got waaaaay too creative and wealthy, and the regulators let them. The mug-punters and the rest of the 'innocent' world are now suffering for it.......including my hard-saved for retirement nest-egg

Disclaimer: I'm not a Merkin, but my local (Aussie) stock-market and financials are suffering mightily because of this practice (no doubt our own local uber-smarties jumped on the bandwagon to some lesser extent due to our tighter banking laws. But our economy is going gang-busters, still we are suffering from this financial-fancy-footwork).....America sneezes, the world still catches a cold
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote