Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Here is the list of condo's for less than 150K in San Jose (south bay)...
Real Estate Search | Redfin
Most parts of San Jose aren't that nice, but I don't think you have to go to East Bay like Oakland (much higher crime rate) to get a 150K condo.
Bit of a commute if you work in SF though.

ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
I lived in both the city and the East Bay at various times. It would be difficult to impossible to find a non-subsidized place in the city for $250K or less, but going East has some possiblities that have already been mentioned. Head South to San Mateo, San Bruno, Daly City, South San Francisco or San Jose and there are more possibilites. I would be concerned about the resale restrictions and home inspections that are mentioned in conjunction with the subsidized plans, but if you are comfortable with those and meet the ncome requirements, there are some great deals.

I used the San Francisco Area MLS to search when I was there - it feeds all the realtor sites.

Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
With regard to the original question of being able to ER on only IRA and 401k (no inheritance, pension, etc.), it would depend on how early one would retire. Most young people have a difficult time contributing maximums to tax deferred accounts, unless they are in very high paying jobs, and then you face income limitations. But it surely can be done, especially if your ER age is up closer to 60.

When I started saving for retirement, there we no IRA's or 401k's so I started with after tax savings. I'm glad I did, since that is what I am now living on until I reach 59.5 (or older). Most of the taxes have already been paid. I would still recommend some savings in after tax accounts for most anyone these days.
Retired on 5/31/2011 at 54
Packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #44
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Yes, Alameda looks very nice. However, that's where most of DW's colleagues live and we want to do our own thing. After spending 10 years in suburbia, I am ready to move back to the city.

DW and I have lived in the BA, both in The City and outside it, for 10 yrs. Since then, we've returned to visit friends a few times every year. Were we to return, if we didn't live in North Beach, we'd likely live in Sausalito; $$$ not being the primary factor of course.

Good hunting!
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
The BMR housing in the city is a little more expensive than $150K, but I'm also looking at San Rafael and Novato. Also, the SF BMR housing has income caps that vary.
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #46
Originally Posted by Major Tom
Bit of a commute if you work in SF though.
True. Try San Bruno or Daly City on redfin. I am sure you will find several listings.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
I will be living off rental property and dividends from taxable accounts before I am able to access an IRA. I hope to leave it alone until RMD.

WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote