Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Groceries
Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It amounts to more meat eating than is currently in vogue.
Good news, Mikey. It's back in vogue. This year, carbs are bad, protein is good, and fat is neutral.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2004, 05:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The New Orleans diet is never in vogue. It's good to be bad. But one local tv chef, John Folse, is working on taking salt and fat out of the good stuff and hopefully making it still taste - Alright!

Food is one of our luxury items - barbell strategy eat regular then splurge 2-3 times/week.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Article I read yesterday claims the 'low carb' fad has apexed and is on its way out. Said half of those who went low carb have given it up. New food products, most notably the new low carb colas are not moving off the shelf.

Time for the next fad. I'm going to go out on a limb and say its going to involve yaks blood and wheat middlings. Whether they're eaten or rubbed on the tummy, I'm still not sure.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:02 AM   #24

The next fad is already emerging: food is bad for you.

Fat and cholesterol will clog your arteries. Protein breaks down to toxic urea. Carbs lead to insulin resistence and oxidative damage to DNA. And, of course, mouse studies have already shown that by starving yourself, you'll live forever. And it'll also help you attain ER
Old 07-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Low-carb diet - good thing I have never got sucked in into that...

I can't imagine how much my grocery will cost if I have to increase my meat consumption and decrease my cheap "filler" stuff (rice, pasta, potatoes).

I tried to start a new fad a while back, called Jane's-balanced-diet-regular-exercise-no-junk-food fad hoping to get rich and start ER early...

Unfortunately there has been little interest. I am not sure why Maybe my diet name is not fashionable enough?

Old 07-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Thats funny!

I remember some movie that takes place in the future, forget which one. The main characters were having a chat and in the background you can hear the news reporter on the tv saying "a major breakthrough in weight loss has just been made. Scientists have proven that eating more healthy foods in smaller quantities and working out moderately is proven to help you lose weight and feel better. More at 11..."

You folks looking at buying large hunks of cow should consider those 'tougher' cuts. Not only are they cheaper, I prefer them on the occasions I eat meat. Chuck is probably the most underrated cut of meat, just dont overcook it. A chuck eye steak (if you can find it) has the appearance of a small rib eye. Rubbed with garlic, salt and pepper and grilled rare to medium rare has one of the best beef flavors. Even a regular chuck steak (and I get them at 2.28/lb here) treated the same way is pretty tasty.

Braised as a pot roast, chili, beef stew the forequarter is pretty good. If you can get short ribs, rub them with horseradish and braise them for several hours...the horseradish mellows out sweet like garlic...or look up a recipe for korean short ribs. Day before yesterday I pounded out some flank and made braciole...stuffed with italian bread crumbs, garlic, eggs and parmesan, then braised in a homemade tomato sauce. Slip a brisket into a mix of barbecue sauce, beef stock and whiskey and simmer until fork tender...shred and make sandwiches.

Shoot, now I have to go buy a brisket. Somebody got me going on chicken wings last week.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Even a regular chuck steak (and I get them at 2.28/lb here) treated the same way is pretty tasty.
We like chuck steak too. Also consider buying a whole boneless pork loin. We have it cut to order (we prefer 1" thick) and grill it. Brush on some italian salad dressing the last few minutes on the grill. It goes on sale here every month or two for $1.99/lb - cheaper than hamburger and far better.

Speaking of grills, am I the only one who just learned they no longer use briquettes with gas grills? These new gas grills are a huge improvement. They use a metal plate over the burner instead of briquettes, and there are almost none of the flare-ups there used to be. I just bought a "Little Aussie" grill which is small and uses about half the gas as my old one, yet still has plenty of room for our needs. This grill is very well constructed and I bought it for $89 plus tax at Menards. This one is coated in porcelain. It's the best gas grill I've ever owned.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

All this talk about food...making me hungry.

You guys are worse than chinese water torture!

Btw, I have realized why my fad diet has never taken off. It's name is too long!

Ever noticed how the fad that got popular only has 1 - 2 words name?

Atkins. Beverly Hills. Cabbage Soup.

I gotta think of a shorter name.

Jane
Old 07-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #29

Quote:
I gotta think of a shorter name.
Heh, reminds me of a sitcom (3rd Rock From the Sun, I think) where they had a weight loss group called "Fat Losers". You could have the Fat Loser diet.

(If anyone is feeling offended, it's a pun, it's a pun. And I'm overweight.)
Old 07-15-2004, 05:23 PM   #30

It's not really a pun, but still somewhat amusing.
Of course, "Fat Losers" is about as non-PC as you
can get, but then I'm about as non-PC as you can get,
so...........................

John Galt
Old 07-15-2004, 05:45 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

How about the "blueberry muffin" diet?

You stop eating so much so you can stop looking like a blueberry muffin, overflowing its tin.

Which reminds me. I need to buy some bigger 'tins'...
Old 07-15-2004, 11:12 PM   #32

Quote:
It's not really a pun, but still somewhat amusing.
John Galt, master of the pun, please explain why "Fat Losers" is not a pun. It looks like a pun to me. I even looked up pun to confirm:

the usually humorous use of a word in such a way as to suggest two or more of its meanings

Is there some nuance I'm missing that makes this other than a pun, and if so, what the heck is it? I feel like such a fat loser having to ask this question.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

You know what word I'm not comfortable with? Nuance. It's not a real word. Like "gesture." Gesture's a real word. With gesture you know where you stand. But nuance? I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:05 AM   #34

I detect some nuance of ambivalence from TH. He should stick with the ER genre lest his posts lose their cogency.
(Hemingway is rolling over in his grave)

John Galt
Old 07-16-2004, 04:11 AM   #35

I agree with wabmester's definition of a pun, and I stand corrected. "Fat Losers" is definitely a pun.
Believe it or not, although amused by the name, I missed that.
I humbly beg your pardon................

John Galt
Old 07-16-2004, 04:26 AM   #36

So when you're on the Fat Loser Diet who monitors your progress?

Get ready!

Are you ready?

Chubby Checkers!

With apologies to Dom Deluise,

BUM
Old 07-16-2004, 04:31 AM   #37

I would vote for Refrigerator "Parry". Now that's a pun

John Galt
Old 07-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #38

Quote:

Do you know if that price includes cutting and wrapping? If so, it is a great bargain. BTW- the guy I bought from has passed over, and I would like to get some again. You live in Puget Sound, don't you? Would you share your source with me- either on the forum or in a message?

Beyond saving money, I would like to get back to this because I believe it is nutritionally better.

Thanks, Mikey
Hi Mikey, I am told it does include cutting and wrapping. I don't have any info on the guy myself, just an agreement with the co-worker who's been doing it, but I'll ask him on Monday. We are "up north" almost to Canada, but it's a nice drive.

I agree about the nutirtional value too. Besides, with the lastest "low carb" craze, we should be right back in fashion, eh?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Rubbed with garlic, salt and pepper and grilled rare to medium rare has one of the best beef flavors. *Even a regular chuck steak (and I get them at 2.28/lb here) treated the same way is pretty tasty.

Braised as a pot roast, chili, beef stew the forequarter is pretty good. *If you can get short ribs, rub them with horseradish and braise them for several hours...the horseradish mellows out sweet like garlic...or look up a recipe for korean short ribs. *Day before yesterday I pounded out some flank and made braciole...stuffed with italian bread crumbs, garlic, eggs and parmesan, then braised in a homemade tomato sauce. *Slip a brisket into a mix of barbecue sauce, beef stock and whiskey and simmer until fork tender...shred and make sandwiches.

Shoot, now I have to go buy a brisket. *Somebody got me going on chicken wings last week.
Oh, man, TH, now I have drooled all over the keyboard. :P
Old 07-16-2004, 07:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Brush that keyboard with soy sauce and sprinkle liberally with salt and black pepper. Grill for 5 minutes on the bottom and for 2 minutes on the key side, until the keys are tender and "falling off the membrane"...