Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T-Al, the price of food has gone up a lot in the past year or two!! Really, it's not all just talk. That might be the reason your spending seems high to you. It doesn't seem high to me, though.
Yes, you're right. But it comes out to $5/meal, and yet our meals come out so much below that. For example, fancy meal:

.25 of one chicken: $.79
2 cans of beer: $.86
Fresh broccoli: $1.15
Potatoes: $.50
Toast: $.15
------------------
Total: $3.45

But I guess snacks and desserts add some. I'll do a more rigorous evaluation someday.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
2 cans of beer: $.86
Eighty six cents for two beers....what kind of beer do you drink?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best thing I like at Trader Joe's their roasted red pepper and tomato soup. Holy crap on a cracker that is good stuff.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
He gets it from brewer at an ER discount........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
He gets it from brewer at an ER discount........
Now THAT is the kind of discount I like....
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Natural Light. $12.99/30 cans at RiteAid ($11.99 until recently).

Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...thanks...I just might give that brand a try!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Natty Lite. They also make Natty Ice. Even more alcohol content for one low price. Wooo! Problem is, by the time I am ready to drink one, I have to have so many in me already that ... I shouldn't be drinking anymore. Phew.

-CC
Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto on what WantToRetire Said..
Coupons via the Internet and we also Get Sunday's Paper on Monday, for free.. Our Rich neighbor throws them out and gives it to us Poor Folk...I offered to split the cost, but he doesn't pay for it either, His Company does..

Bar-B-Q alot and we have our Q hooked upto our House gas ...

Extra Freezer in a Garage..When sales on on, we load up...I also added an extra 3 inches of Foam Board Insulation around it as well..for the Summertime around here..

Hope that helps
Old 03-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

One of the clues to saving money on grocery shopping is plan your meals around what is on sale . I get the food circulars and circle the things I want and decide on several meals and go shop .My food budget is $400 a month for two people but we usually come in under that amount . That includes food, paper products , cleaning supplies , shampoo ,and wine . Clue number two is never ever shop when hungry . You'll end up with bizarre things in your cart .
Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Natural Light. $12.99/30 cans at RiteAid ($11.99 until recently).

It's not a bad med.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Holy crap on a cracker that is good stuff.

Is crap on a cracker as good as $#!+ on a Shingle? sorry, couldn't resist! I am awful.

Moe, like you, I don't (can't) break "food" out from the general "grocery" category. If it was purchased at Giant or BJs, and it wasn't a major electronic item, it's counted as groceries.
We spend about $400 a month for 2 people and 2 cats, and that's with a separate freezer, coupon clipping, stocking up during sales, and some Depression-era food-stretching tips I learned from my Mom.
As others have pointed out, good food costs more of late. Fruit, whole grains,vegetables, meat, and fish have all gone up.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Holy crap on a cracker that is good stuff.

Is crap on a cracker as good as $#!+ on a Shingle? sorry, couldn't resist! I am awful.

Moe, like you, I don't (can't) break "food" out from the general "grocery" category. If it was purchased at Giant or BJs, and it wasn't a major electronic item, it's counted as groceries.
We spend about $400 a month for 2 people and 2 cats, and that's with a separate freezer, coupon clipping, stocking up during sales, and some Depression-era food-stretching tips I learned from my Mom.
As others have pointed out, good food costs more of late. Fruit, whole grains,vegetables, meat, and fish have all gone up.

Whats funny. Ive said to people $@#@ on a shingle before and they looked at me funny. At least I know someone else knows what Im talking about now
Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

TJ's vs Target

I went to Trader Joe's and Super Target tonight. I'm going to start collecting my receipts and create an excel spreadsheet to see where the good deals are (and exactly how much I'm spending). Here's the comparison so far:

Trader Joe's
3 pepper (orange, red, yellow) - $3.69 -- they're 3x more $ at Harris Teeter

Sliced Turkey - $5.99/lb not the best deal but a lot better than paying $10.99/lb at Harris Teeter

TJ O's Cheerios - $1.99

European Yogurt - $2.99 (not as much protein as Greek yogurt but about half the price)

Target
32oz Egg Whites - $3.45 - much cheaper than TJ and Harris Teeter

1lb 93/7 Ground Beef - $2.99

10 Waffles - $1.82

String Cheese - $2.99 for 12 (still kind of high considering each stick is only 50 calories)

Overall Target may have had slightly better prices because more stuff was on sale. However, I prefer the produce at TJ's so I'll probably continue to shop at both.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Ive said to people $@#@ on a shingle before and they looked at me funny. At least I know someone else knows what Im talking about now

Oh, I know many things...few of them useful...I have a mind like a cluttered attic sometimes!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Sliced Turkey - $5.99/lb not the best deal but a lot better than paying $10.99/lb at Harris Teeter

You buy sliced turkey? What a wastrel. Just kidding Buy a couple of whole turkeys on sale (.59 to .79 a pound). Store them in the freezer. Roast a turkey. When it's all cooked and has cooled, remove the breast meat, slice it with a slicer or good sharp chef's knife, package the slices in aluminum foil, label/date, store in freezer till needed. Boil the turkey carcass for soup stock. Make a couple gallons of turkey vegetable soup, using the rest of the meat. We can eat hearty for a week on that soup, and we're bigger-than-average, active folks with good appetites...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Ive said to people $@#@ on a shingle before and they looked at me funny. At least I know someone else knows what Im talking about now

Oh, I know many things...few of them useful...I have a mind like a cluttered attic sometimes!
AKA: barf on a board
Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

You buy sliced turkey? What a wastrel. Just kidding Buy a couple of whole turkeys on sale (.59 to .79 a pound). Store them in the freezer. Roast a turkey. When it's all cooked and has cooled, remove the breast meat, slice it with a slicer or good sharp chef's knife, package the slices in aluminum foil, label/date, store in freezer till needed. Boil the turkey carcass for soup stock. Make a couple gallons of turkey vegetable soup, using the rest of the meat. We can eat hearty for a week on that soup, and we're bigger-than-average, active folks with good appetites...
Good advice. I should cook whole turkeys more often. It's probably healthier (less sodium and additives) than sliced turkey too.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:58 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
Thanks for the reply. What kind of meats do you get from Costco and do you freeze them? I'm trying to decide on getting a membership to a wholesale club. If there was one closer or more than 2 of us, I would definitely do it.

If I get a chance I'll drive around today, compare some of the prices, and respond back the best savings
At Costco we buy:
Organic ground beef, $3.99/lb
Regular ground beef, $2.19/lb
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, $2.79/lb
Chicken thighs, $1.19/lb (bone-in, skin-on)
Whole chickens, $.79/lb (in a two-pack)
Pork shoulder (country-style ribs,boneless): $1.79/lb

These are all in big containers, so we portion and freeze them. More later, kids are crying.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #40

We buy the "beef in the bag" at costco and cut our own steaks. Buy Costco ground beef and re portion it for our needs. Lots of good meat and some fish there. We will continue to go to costco or sam's, whichever is convenient to wherever we end up ERed.

R