Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
By the end of last month (Nov 2013), my NW was running ahead of inflation by 15.5%. Up 54% in nominal terms.
You've done well in a "crushed W" market. That's the sort of line form you'd see if plotting the SP500 inflation adjusted returns for the last 13 years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #62

Our NW has also increased since ER in 2010 while withdrawing 2 to 4% / year. I've been doing fairly aggressive ROTH conversions and 14% of NW is now in ROTH funds.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't most calculators and simulations show the portfolio balance growing for awhile, even without record market growth, since the withdrawal rate is usually lower than the real growth rate that most people assume?

If the withdrawal rate is 3-4% but the assumed real return is 4-5% or higher it should go up?

Also I think a lot of people said that if they spent less than their annual withdrawal in a given year and/or the withdrawal was higher than anticipated because of high returns, they withdraw less in following year(s), as opposed to increasing spending.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #64

From purely FP/Monte Carlo scenario viewpoint, I would expect to see most FIRE's NW growing now with equity markets at all time highs. IMHO this is no reason to significantly increase spending but rather should be viewed as part of long term fluctuation in portfolio values.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Don't most calculators and simulations show the portfolio balance growing for awhile, even without record market growth, since the withdrawal rate is usually lower than the real growth rate that most people assume?

If the withdrawal rate is 3-4% but the assumed real return is 4-5% or higher it should go up?

Also I think a lot of people said that if they spent less than their annual withdrawal in a given year and/or the withdrawal was higher than anticipated because of high returns, they withdraw less in following year(s), as opposed to increasing spending.

Have to include inflation if that's a standard 4% SWR withdrawal. And a little extra if you take the 4% out at the start of the year. For a 4% withdrawal you need 1/.96 = 1.0417 or 4.17% portfolio growth to replace the beginning of the year withdrawal. Then you need to match inflation on top of that, maybe something like 3% on average though we all differ on that. So maybe a 7.17% average growth each year to maintain the real value of your portfolio and keep the withdrawals to a constant percentage of the portfolio as they are increased for inflation. That's approaching the long term average S&P 500 gain, and may match the historical average gains for a portfolio with significant bonds. And then real world volatility of returns totally screws all of that up anyway.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

BTW for people tracking real returns, here is a handy cumulative inflation calculator. InflationData.com's Cumulative Inflation Calculator

Start with the month prior to your period - for example for inflation since Jan 1, 2000, you start with Dec 1999.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
You've done well in a "crushed W" market. That's the sort of line form you'd see if plotting the SP500 inflation adjusted returns for the last 13 years.
One day I'll go back and create that graph. Got other things to do first.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
One day I'll go back and create that graph. Got other things to do first.
I'll be posting a copy of my decades chart at the end of the year. It's basically the orange line + the blue line.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #69

Retired 7 years ago at 48, pulling out 3-4% each year as needed, have about 40% more than when I retired in an all-stock portfolio.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Retired 7 years ago at 48, pulling out 3-4% each year as needed, have about 40% more than when I retired in an all-stock portfolio.
Very close to my experience over same period. Only cashed dividends which have grown by 75% over this period. Yields have increased quite a lot since I retired, from 2.9% range to 3.75% range.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Inflation since end of 2006 - 15.5%, so you are way ahead in real terms too.