Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
That old quote comes to mind. " behind every successful man there is a very surprised woman".

That's an 'old one' I had never heard. Like it

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I read an interesting article in The Wall Street Journal (4/24/17) about the "Mental Mistakes We Make With Retirement Spending". It talks about how a lifetime of saving for retirement can cause people to spend too little money once they do retire. This leads to a reduction of happiness later in life.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Around here, brown eggs tend to come from more local farms than white eggs, and are fresher. My experience also is that the shells of white eggs tend to be thinner. I agree that, nutritionally and taste-wise, there is no difference.
Eggshell color: genetics White eggshells were selected so that defective eggs can be detected and removed more easily by candling.
Yolk color: diet
Yolk flavor:diet
Eggshell thicknessiet especially calcium

Organic or nonorganic affected by the same factors.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Common misconceptions
Organic is more nutritious than nonorganic
Free range is organic
All natural is organic
Non GMO is better than GMO
Old 06-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you doing ok?? You didnt provide enough info. No idea what your expenses are? How much were you making per year? If you're making $500k/year for the last 20 years then the nest egg you've accumulated isnt that impressive. Its all perspective.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Common misconceptions
Organic is more nutritious than nonorganic
Free range is organic
All natural is organic
Non GMO is better than GMO
Costco brown eggs has both, organic and free range. I should sue them for misleading us.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Are you doing ok?? You didnt provide enough info. No idea what your expenses are? How much were you making per year? If you're making $500k/year for the last 20 years then the nest egg you've accumulated isnt that impressive. Its all perspective.
My gross taxable income in the last few years was around $230K, but my salary was on the order of $150K. Our expenses are low (paid off mortgage, kid is on his own, not supporting other family members, etc.) DW retired in 2004 but she made decent money while she was working (sometimes more than me). We're doing fine.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Another forum I frequent has a thread "49% of Americans have nothing saved for retirement". That's scary. I like to think that the ER forum provides good advice and examples for anyone who would like to do better than that.
Is that the tivo community forum, by any chance?

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Had our annual review with our Fidelity managed account portfolio manager (and earlier in the day our account manager). Many of you know that Fidelity currently offers a Retirement Preparedness Measure (RPM) score, based on your input of planned expenses, assets and income over retirement. The portfolio manager said that in the many years he has been doing this, ours is the first time he saw the RPM score peg the meter at 150+ (it doesn't go higher than that.)

Our account manager ran analyses that showed us croaking with $10-15M in assets (I think that's in future dollars, maybe $4M in today's) assuming a "significantly underperforming" market.

DW has been, historically, much more conservative and worried about risk than I have been, but she is finally relaxing and coming around to the view that we probably don't have to worry about running out of money. I am 62 and retired earlier this year, DW is 65 and retired in 2004. We have lived below our means for decades and saved, but we live comfortably. We were told that we really need to spend more, given that our goals are to spend everything down.

So conservative and worried about risk that she retired at 52?
Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

MikeD: Yes, indeed.

Gatored: DW was a contract programmer, and the work environment became much more difficult for her around then that she asked if we could afford for her to retire. We crunched the numbers and said yes. It worked out well - she was much happier and our household expenses dropped. We continued to live conservatively but I was bringing in sufficient income.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #51

I've taken to substituting the word "blessed" for the word luck. I suppose it's a semantical argument, but it just seems to put things more into perspective for me. Naturally, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Luck usually occurs when you stay focused on your goal and are willing to prepare and do the work. When people complain to me that they would like to retire early, like my wife and I did, I ask them "How bad do you want it?".
Old 06-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I've taken to substituting the word "blessed" for the word luck. I suppose it's a semantical argument, but it just seems to put things more into perspective for me. Naturally, YMMV.
I have done this as well. Problem is it raises the question of "by whom" which gets into personal spiritual beliefs which in my case gets a little complicated.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have a friend that uses blessed every day on her FB page. Man I am not blessed nearly that often!

OTOH our friend discovered that he has stage 4 cancer with 4-6 months to live. The only symptom was blood clots in his leg! So I guess I should count those blessings more often!