Join Early Retirement Today

Guggenheim Bullet Shares
Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Guggenheim Bullet Shares

Greetings- Will have some CDs maturing shortly and am rather intrigued by the Guggenheim Bullet Shares as a reinvestment option. Was curious if anyone has any practical experience with them and especially if investors were taking the monthly distributions or reinvesting them? Thanks!
Scubablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Check out this thread and the links within: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tfs-64719.html
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubablue View Post
Greetings- Will have some CDs maturing shortly and am rather intrigued by the Guggenheim Bullet Shares as a reinvestment option. Was curious if anyone has any practical experience with them and especially if investors were taking the monthly distributions or reinvesting them? Thanks!
There is another recent thread about these, in which various people go over important aspects, They are very intriguing, but to me at least it appears that none of them yet has adequate liquidity.

Ha
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the 14, 15, and 16 funds. Take the distributions monthly...don't reinvest. Sold out of some bond funds with longer average duration and went shorter using these funds. No commission trades on Schwab.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Administrator

Another thread, the one I think mr. Ha is referring to http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tfs-66901.html
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the quick responses! Seems a lot of folks are intrigued by these especially once ER'd and preservation of capital becomes all the more important.
Scubablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I liquidated some of my bond mutual funds and have bought some of both the corporate and high yield versions maturing in 2017-2020. It is way too early to give a view on them as I have only held them a couple months.

I'm not reinvesting distributions.

Rightly or wrongly, I am viewing these as a CD substitute since I intend to hold them to maturity. I recognize that if I want out early and rates have increased that I will take a hit on the market value and I also recognize the default risk associated with them vs FDIC insured CDs.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

I may have missed it, but wasn't there a 2012 maturity ETF (or CEF)? How did that wind-up go for investors?
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
I may have missed it, but wasn't there a 2012 maturity ETF (or CEF)? How did that wind-up go for investors?
See ETFs | Guggenheim Investments

The one thing about these that I am not keen on is that as the bonds mature in the maturity year they keep the maturity proceeds until the end of the year and in the interim you earn only money market rates, so I'll explore selling six months to a year prior to the terminal distribution.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I have the 14, 15, and 16 funds. Take the distributions monthly...don't reinvest. Sold out of some bond funds with longer average duration and went shorter using these funds. No commission trades on Schwab.
Curious, it sounds like you can reinvest the dividends into more shares, correct? I may have a look at the high yield ones if offered by Schwab.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
See ETFs | Guggenheim Investments

The one thing about these that I am not keen on is that as the bonds mature in the maturity year they keep the maturity proceeds until the end of the year and in the interim you earn only money market rates, so I'll explore selling six months to a year prior to the terminal distribution.
This is true. For instance the 2013 Bulletshares corporate bond is already 99% in cash so very little interest next five months. I like the idea of selling mid year of the year of maturity.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
This is true. For instance the 2013 Bulletshares corporate bond is already 99% in cash so very little interest next five months. I like the idea of selling mid year of the year of maturity.
Thanks, I need to look into these ETF's.