Join Early Retirement Today

Guvmint COLA up 5.8%
Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Guvmint COLA up 5.8%

Social Security benefits going up by 5.8 percent

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER – 26 minutes ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — Social Security benefits for 50 million people will be go up 5.8 percent next year, the largest increase in more than a quarter century.
The increase, which will start in January, was announced Thursday by the Social Security Administration. It will mean an additional $63 per month for the average retiree.
The increase is the largest since a 7.4 percent jump in 1982 and is more than double the 2.3 percent rise that retirees got in their monthly checks starting in January of this year.
The typical retiree's monthly check will go from $1,090 currently to $1,153.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

same for federal CSRS retirees, and i do believe for military retirees also (can someone please verify?)

see CSRS retirees to receive 5.8 percent pension boost in 2009 (10/16/08 ) -- www.GovernmentExecutive.com
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #3

next year with deflation and all we are going to take money away
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #4

Applies to Military Retired Pay and will also be applied to VA Disability Benefits (although the VA usually takes it's time about acknowledging the increase).

Al - The SS and Military Retired pay (including VA) does NOT go backwards. 0 increase is the lowest it can go.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not work and get 5.8% or work and (in my case) get 2%. Hmmm....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
next year with deflation and all we are going to take money away
No -- deflation means the COLA is zero. And the return on I-bonds and TIPS can never be negative, either.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
gone traveling

Deflation

The last two months were negative... otherwise it would have been 6.2 or higher.

National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Social Security benefits going up by 5.8 percent

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER – 26 minutes ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — Social Security benefits for 50 million people will be go up 5.8 percent next year, the largest increase in more than a quarter century.
The increase, which will start in January, was announced Thursday by the Social Security Administration. It will mean an additional $63 per month for the average retiree.
The increase is the largest since a 7.4 percent jump in 1982 and is more than double the 2.3 percent rise that retirees got in their monthly checks starting in January of this year.
The typical retiree's monthly check will go from $1,090 currently to $1,153.
Anybody know how this rate relates to the TIP/I-bond inflation rate due 12/1/08?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Inflation update: US Savings Bonds

Next inflation component 4.92 pct. Loving it.
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc View Post

um...gotta ask this one...

i own a small I bond ladder, all purchased between 2003-05.

does the inflation component referenced above (2008 value) only apply to I bonds purchased NOW or any purchased anytime in the past?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
um...gotta ask this one...

i own a small I bond ladder, all purchased between 2003-05.

does the inflation component referenced above (2008 value) only apply to I bonds purchased NOW or any purchased anytime in the past?
ALL I-bonds get the same inflation adjustment. Only the fixed rate is different.

Mine are from 2000, with a 3.4% fixed rate. Dang, I wish I could have afforded more of them at the time.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Not work and get 5.8% or work and (in my case) get 2%. Hmmm....
plus not pay the usual payroll deductions and then maybe have to pay even more taxes every April.
plus never set the alarm clock, nor fight commuter traffic, nor deal with co-w*rkers with BO, nor...
life eez good, yes?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

If they calculated the inflation as they did before 1982, todays inflation rate would be 12 -15 %
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ALL I-bonds get the same inflation adjustment. Only the fixed rate is different.

Mine are from 2000, with a 3.4% fixed rate. Dang, I wish I could have afforded more of them at the time.
thanks!
i bought 1 every month, $100 each, for 33 months. a very small stake but loving it now. i need to look up my fixed rate once i figure out how to use my new treasury direct account number. i'm FIREd so i haven't gotten a round TUIT yet.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
thanks!
i bought 1 every month, $100 each, for 33 months. a very small stake but loving it now. i need to look up my fixed rate once i figure out how to use my new treasury direct account number. i'm FIREd so i haven't gotten a round TUIT yet.
Looking at mine from 2000, I can't do much better than a safe, tax-deferred 8.32% in the months to come. In hindsight I should have begged, borrowed or stolen to buy more.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Looking at mine from 2000, I can't do much better than a safe, tax-deferred 8.32% in the months to come. In hindsight I should have begged, borrowed or stolen to buy more.
ok, made me look! i also found my round TUIT. LOL
i was mistaken - i bought between May 04 to Jan 07.
current interest rates range from (specific months in years listed are omitted on purpose)
5.86% (04-05)
6.07% (05)
5.86% (05-06)
6.27% (06-07)

i would NEVER in a zillion years think i would be here crowing about US govt I bonds beating out my mutual funds. i have noticed the dividend yield YTD has moved up a bit on my stock mutual funds. small consolation, big whoo.
and in spite of the beating munis are taking, they are paying some rather nice TE dividends.
i sound like a dyed in the wool income investor.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc View Post

Wonder if they will budge off that 0.00% fixed rate in November..If they would do 1% or so the new I-Bonds might look good unless you think we have entered a delation zone.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't see them moving off that rate. Figure they need to keep capital moving to banks/etc and not the govt, inflation is a real possibility, and they've already implemented ridiculously low buy limits anyway.

Good discussion of this point on that Savings Bond Advisor site.
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Don't get too excited about the COLA, I hear health insurance is increasing 18%.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Don't get too excited about the COLA, I hear health insurance is increasing 18%.
The Medicare premium is not increasing for 2009.