Join Early Retirement Today

Hacked 3 times in 2015
Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hacked 3 times in 2015

Here's a list of the nine worst cyber attacks of 2015.

Lucky me, my info was in three of the databases. (Before anyone asks, I was not in the Ashley Madison one!)

It seems to me that we have to proceed under the assumption that all our private information is in the hands of the bad guys, so agencies/companies have to develop new security processes that use entirely different information. Providing a couple of years of credit bureau monitoring is not going to hack it (pardon the pun).

Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus;1682501

It seems to me that we have to proceed under the assumption that [B
all[/B] our private information is in the hands of the bad guys, so agencies/companies have to develop new security processes that use entirely different information. Providing a couple of years of credit bureau monitoring is not going to hack it (pardon the pun).
+1

I certainly know that my data is out there in the wild and that of my children also thanks to an inept health insurance company that could not protect it. It wasn't even encrypted. And then these guys have the nerve to send me glowing notices about how wonderful it will be to have their health insurance again. And a letter that makes them out to be a 'victim'. "Gosh officer, I left my new Porsche parked in a dark alley, unlocked, with the keys on the front seat. How was I to know somebody would steal it?"

The credit bureau monitoring is worse than worthless, IMHO, because it gives a false sense of security. Like an alarm system that warns you after your house has been robbed and you've been pistol whipped.

I have my credit accounts frozen at the three bureaus. It's our only real defense.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Providing a couple of years of credit bureau monitoring is not going to hack it (pardon the pun).
Even worse - sometimes it's the credit bureau itself that is hacked as in the T-Mobile case - Experian was hacked for that data. Unfortunately DH was caught in that one - and information far more sensitive than credit card numbers!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Home Depot gave my data away. Now one frequently used change card gets replaced every few months. The cc provider can't seem to tell my old number from my new one.

Don't expect hacking to get anything but worse. Corporate entities have dodged their responsibilities for many years leading up to where we are today. Hackers have unlimited time, security staff already has full time j*bs with deadlines.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was hacked twice. Once by the IRS themselves. Forces me to keep an eagle eye on credit reports and accounts. It actually forced me to create a looong list of accounts and website URL's so I can quickly change all my passwords the next time it happens. It's a real PITA changing 20+ passwords regularly but I figure its better than trying to fix a counterfeit account.

i wasn't victimized per se' but definitely exposed.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote