Hacked bank server hosts phishing sites -Heads Up for Chase and Ebay

poboy

Recycles dryer sheets
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/03/13/76373_HNhackedbank_1.html?source=NLC-SEC2006-03-13

Those little hackers.

One of the phishing sites offered customers of Chase Bank, part of JPMorgan Chase & Co., a chance to receive US$20 for filling out a survey. The survey asked for the user's ID and password so the money could be deposited. Further, it requested the person's bank card number, PIN, card verification number, mother's maiden name and their U.S. Social Security number, Netcraft said.

I got that one! And it seemed VERY legit, went right to jpmorgan's website etc.

Good thing I didnt have my card on me when i got the email....

thefed said:
I got that one! And it seemed VERY legit, went right to jpmorgan's website etc.

My #1 rule - NEVER respond to an email or phone call. Go directly to the site from the URL you have used before. Same with a phone call - call the bank/agency/whatever at a number that you know is the 'real thing'.

Now, if hackers actually grab the real URL - that is scary. But, that would be detected soon and shut down, I would think. I'd get suspicious if they started asking for all that info for a survey, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to ask you to log in to take the survey.

It's getting tougher to be careful. What we really need are good international rules so these creeps could be put into a hard labor camp for life. The next guy might think twice about it.

-ERD50

It went to the right URL, I'm sure. It did ask em to log in first, and that's when I stopped. I was a little leary.

URL's can be spoofed. Go back to the original link in the email, right click on it and look at 'properties'...you'll see something funny in there causing the 'right' URL text to show, but a different destination completely...probably a port# or something right near the end of the url.

Displayed URL is not necessarily where you are actually surfing...

Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny said:
URL's can be spoofed. Go back to the original link in the email, right click on it and look at 'properties'...you'll see something funny in there causing the 'right' URL text to show, but a different destination completely...probably a port# or something right near the end of the url.

Displayed URL is not necessarily where you are actually surfing...

haha, i should've known that.....that's how my business website is set up!

Oh come on. I must have been wrong about something. Lots of words up there. You're a smart guy...

Back
Top Bottom