Join Early Retirement Today

Hail Hell
Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hail Hell

We had a hailstorm Saturday morning. We we were on the road at the time and missed all the excitement, but a neighbor posted the photo below showing what hit us. Sunday USAA sent me a text saying they were aware of the hailstorm in our area and provided a link to file a claim. When we got home Monday I took a short stroll on the roof then started the claims process. Based on my previous experience with hail damage, the roof is toast.

We built this house in 1998 and lost a roof to hail in 2002, 2014, and now we will have to replace it again - an average of every 7 years. My 2% deductible is now up to the $7k range and the out-of pocket costs for another new roof is beginning to smart.

A couple of my neighbors opted for a metal roof but in 2014 I wasn't willing to spend the extra $. This time I'm going to at least get quotes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hail 1.jpg (19.7 KB, 749 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dammmmmm! Now that’s what I call HAIL!! Not sure a metal roof, besides not leaking from it, would fare much better...while roof would look like a flattened golf ball.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Would hail the size shown in the picture (looks like a little bigger than a golf ball... perhaps the size of a raquetball?) dent a metal roof?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #4

Wow, y'all take your hail seriously down there!

Strangely, hail the size of baseballs is missing from your list of reasons to not move to Texas. You must've been absent-minded that day.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We had a hailstorm Saturday morning. We we were on the road at the time and missed all the excitement, but a neighbor posted the photo below showing what hit us. Sunday USAA sent me a text saying they were aware of the hailstorm in our area and provided a link to file a claim. When we got home Monday I took a short stroll on the roof then started the claims process. Based on my previous experience with hail damage, the roof is toast.

We built this house in 1998 and lost a roof to hail in 2002, 2014, and now we will have to replace it again - an average of every 7 years. My 2% deductible is now up to the $7k range and the out-of pocket costs for another new roof is beginning to smart.

A couple of my neighbors opted for a metal roof but in 2014 I wasn't willing to spend the extra $. This time I'm going to at least get quotes.
Wow, given the history of roof damage due to hail, and the length of time that you have lived in that house (and probably will in the future), that sounds like a very good idea.

I wonder if your insurance company would lower your rates due to having a metal roof, if/when you do. Maybe not since your out-of-pocket costs are so high, but one never knows.

Sorry that you got hail damage again, especially while you were on vacation.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Would hail the size shown in the picture (looks like a little bigger than a golf ball... perhaps the size of a raquetball?) dent a metal roof?
Good question. I'm planning on paying a visit to my neighbor down the road to see how his roof weathered the storm - and find out who installed it for him.

BTW, I think the "official" size description is "teacup". Seriously.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You must've been absent-minded that day.
It's obvious I'm losing a step.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We live in the hail belt. I've seen hail storms where they had to call out the snow plows. I've had $1500 in hail damage to my car and my wife has had $9000 worth of damage. On our house we've replaced screens, roof venting, siding.
Hail sucks.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wonder if your insurance company would lower your rates due to having a metal roof, if/when you do. Maybe not since your out-of-pocket costs are so high, but one never knows.
Yes, if you install an impact resistant roof your insurance co will adjust rates accordingly. However, you must acknowledge in writing you understand they will not pay for cosmetic damage to the roof - AKA dings and dents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sorry that you got hail damage again, especially while you were on vacation.
Adding insult to injury, we were on our way to the funeral for my sister-in-law. My brother died 11 years ago and she was being cared for by her niece, who didn't think it important to let us know she was seriously ill until Friday morning. She died that same afternoon and they decided to have a "direct burial" Sunday morning. We had to scramble to make the 400 mile trip in time for her graveside services.

When we got there we learned my SIL had been in hospice care (kidney disease) since January. The niece had also failed to tell us that, even though I had spoken to her a few weeks ago when we discussed a trip to visit my SIL the first week in May. Clueless airhead.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry about about your sister-in-law REWahoo.

Regarding the hail, we've experienced it twice this year. The first time wasn't bad, but the second one lasted for 30 minutes. It started out the size of a quarter, but then became smaller. No damage to our 3 year old roof.

Unfortunately we may get more hail tomorrow night. I'm sure not hoping for 'teacup' hail.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, if you install an impact resistant roof your insurance co will adjust rates accordingly. However, you must acknowledge in writing you understand they will not pay for cosmetic damage to the roof - AKA dings and dents.

Adding insult to injury, we were on our way to the funeral for my sister-in-law. My brother died 11 years ago and she was being cared for by her niece, who didn't think it important to let us know she was seriously ill until Friday morning. She died that same afternoon and they decided to have a "direct burial" Sunday morning. We had to scramble to make the 400 mile trip in time for her graveside services.

When we got there we learned my SIL had been in hospice care (kidney disease) since January. The niece had also failed to tell us that, even though I had spoken to her a few weeks ago when we discussed a trip to visit my SIL the first week in May. Clueless airhead.
I’m so sorry.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #12

I'll never forget my first week in Colorado many years ago. It was May, and my brand new car sat out in the parking lot while the worst hailstorm I had ever seen raged for a couple of hours.

Next morning I went out and found the car looking like the surface of a golf ball -- big dimples all over the roof, hood, and trunk. Cheap car (Chevelle) so probably thinner metal than it should have had.

I was beside myself, and called USAA to make an insurance claim. Gave all the details over the phone, and the guy told me that the dents would "heal" themselves over the next few days from expansion/contraction with the warm days and cold nights.

Sure enough, he was right!
Old 04-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, I'd think that might be worth it. I mean, really, how often does one scrutinize the roof. OK maybe others do, but I hardly look at mine unless I am wondering how long I've got before it wears out. And, with one of those 50 year roofs I'd have no reason at all to ever bother looking at it.

Quote:

Agh.. My condolences!! I had hoped/assumed you were having another carefree vacation, touring the country's back roads blissfully in your RV. Sorry that wasn't the case.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The worst thing that happens to my roof is moss.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Sorry for your troubles !

Could you imagine how hail would sound hitting a metal roof . It would be like living in a war zone.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Wow that is the definition of a bad day. Good luck with the insurance.

We were hit a few times outside of KC. The first was unreal. Softball size hail took out all the windows and cedar siding. It was a mess, worse were the neighborhood animals. Horses stood out in the storm being stuck and standing still. Goats and dogs were not happy.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #17

Mom (from Worcester, Mass) moved with my father to Normangee Texas, just outside of Bryan (think Texas A&M) in 1955. They had a softball size hail storm on a tin roof. She said it sounded like Thor up on the roof with a sledgehammer hammering on the roof for half an hour. I think almost every roof in town, along with windshields, had to be replaced, except for the tin roofs.

She said it was an "interesting" introduction to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sorry for your troubles !

Could you imagine how hail would sound hitting a metal roof . It would be like living in a war zone.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - look on the bright side, if you had been home, you might be filing a claim for the car as well.

Might want to walk around the house to be sure the siding/flashing/window screens and deck furniture is still all in once piece.
We had hail once and it punched holes in my siding.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #19

Had golfball hail like that in 2016 .. Insurance had to replace my entire roof. Cost $16,000.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

So sorry for your loss. The niece probably was functioning the best she could (even if not up to standards) as a caregiver, and it took up every brain cell she had.

Quote:
Y
Adding insult to injury, we were on our way to the funeral for my sister-in-law. My brother died 11 years ago and she was being cared for by her niece, who didn't think it important to let us know she was seriously ill until Friday morning.
When we got there we learned my SIL had been in hospice care (kidney disease) since January. The niece had also failed to tell us that,
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote