Happy day - paid off the mortgage!

WM

Full time employment: Posting here.
It was actually a few days ago, but what a great day! Funny, too - I called to find out how to make the final payment, assuming they'd have to send paperwork or we'd have to go into a branch. Turns out you can make the final payment over the phone, they just transfer the money from your checking account and presto!

I knew we'd be able to pay it off by the end of this year or early next year, but it was still stunning to actually do it. Partly because, as DH said, it makes the prospect of FIREing in a few more years that much more real. Also, just because it's a big accomplishment and I'm impressed with ourselves for pulling it off.

So - a huge thank-you to the community here for all the great wisdom and encouragement for those of us who aren't there yet :flowers: I can't even tell you what a difference it's made in helping us get where we're trying to go.

Congratulations! Some folks go to all kinds of cost/benefit analysis but the part that is usually missed is that the wonderful feeling of a paid off mortgage is priceless!

I too love that feeling of NOT writing a check every month too, although not everyone here shares our happiness :).

Congratulations!!!!

Awesome.

I hope to join you in the no more mortgage club in the next year. Concurrent with DH's retirement. (I'll retire a few years later at age 55 unless I'm offered a severance package sooner.)

Hot diggidy dawg! Congratulations!
smiley-happy066.gif

Shoot...even tho our mortgage has been paid off for a few years now, I still get a case of the giddies from time to time.....
smiley-happy093.gif

As my kids would say "Boom sauce"!!!! Congrats to you. We did the same last year, and it is a very liberating feeling. I still have to pinch myself on occasion because after having a house payment for decades, I really never thought we wouldn't have one.

Congrats! Paid mine off last year and it was a great feeling. Due to unforeseen events however, we don't live in that house anymore and we are back to paying rent.

WM, congrats on the paid off mortgage. I'll bet you sleep good! The only time I have second thoughts is when I have my income taxes prepared. But, these days the standard deduction looks good. Again, congrats!

Congratulations WM! Now what do you plan to do with the mortgage money? Second home maybe? ;)

Congratulations!

It's been a couple of years since we paid ours off and I still smile and giggle a little when I see someone else make it to that place.

Congrats. I paid mine off this September. What a great feeling !!!!

Congratulations. They should automatically file a document stating that they no longer have a lien on the property, can't hurt to double check in a few months. We are happier without one.

Great work!

We paid off our mortgage a little more than ten years ago. The surplus cash that was thus made available was ploughed into our investment savings, and was very helpful in reaching FI.

It is a great feeling.

I made my last mortgage payment 10 years ago, it really helped me think about ER.

I always say pay yourself, not the bank.

Back
Top Bottom