Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

I am 52 years old and I think about retiring all of the time. But for some reason it has been one of the hardest decisions of my life to take that leap. I am totally burnt out on my job. I have a decent padding in savings and 401K. My pension amount would be enough that my lifestyle would not change in the least. Thank God, I have no debt. So why am I having such a hard time? My wife is still working and can retire in a couple more years. I am pretty sure I could stay busy. I live on a farm, so there is always something to do there. I have many hobbies. I don’t know if it just the fear of possible regret or what. I think maybe I would miss the people. I have been sitting behind a desk for over 30 years and been doing computer programming for 25+ plus years and am totally burnt. Maybe I just need to go on and go for it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Audrey's quote from the "one more year" thread....
is worth repeating :

"You know how much money you have, but you never know how much time you have left on this earth (or good health for that matter)."

Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1 View Post
I am 52 years old and I think about retiring all of the time. But for some reason it has been one of the hardest decisions of my life to take that leap. I am totally burnt out on my job. I have a decent padding in savings and 401K. My pension amount would be enough that my lifestyle would not change in the least. Thank God, I have no debt. So why am I having such a hard time? My wife is still working and can retire in a couple more years. I am pretty sure I could stay busy. I live on a farm, so there is always something to do there. I have many hobbies. I donít know if it just the fear of possible regret or what. I think maybe I would miss the people. I have been sitting behind a desk for over 30 years and been doing computer programming for 25+ plus years and am totally burnt. Maybe I just need to go on and go for it!
I can see the "miss the people" part. I enjoyed the people I worked with directly, even if I thought senior management was #$#@$#.

We had a poll a couple years ago about what finally triggered the decision to quit. In most cases it was something negative at work, not something positive about retiring. It was new boss, corporate takeover, shift in assignments, new CEO, just can't go through the motions another year, or whatever.

At your age, you might want to think about what it would take to come back as a part-time worker after a couple years of retirement. Maybe call a head hunter or temp agency. If you think you would have options in that direction, that should make it easier to retire now. If the numbers had worked for me, I would have stayed on at half time. As it happened, I've worked a couple temp contracts for my former employer at consultant-level pay, that's a positive.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

I retire from the Active Army next year at 52 and feel good and bad at the same time. The bad part is that my dad passed away when I was 16, at the age of 60, so I never got to really get to know him. I hate to do that to my 7 and 11 year old kids. I feel that I have as much an obligation to spend more years at home with them than with my future co-workers. Maybe they would like to hold a year round garage sale or open a lemonade stand or something
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgun View Post
Thanks for the advice and personal stories. I'm a touch more than 12 months out and getting a bit nervous, but I think it's time. Nothing in life is a sure thing
I'm 13 months out myself and totally understand the jitters. I don't expect I'll have any regrets when the time comes as I've got lots of plans. While there are doomsday scenarios that could put us in trouble, we've got plan B and plan C in place. A lot of decisions are reversible but this one may not be for most of us.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Never. I retired when I was 55. I was happy to see my first year in retirement come and go because it seemed like so many I worked with died the first year or so after retirement. One inparticular pasted after 11 monthes. I have never heard any of the people I worked with say they wished they had worked more.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #67
Confused about dryer sheets

Retired 18mo ago..more or less forced out(about a year earlier than I planned). I do not miss any part of it..stress levels down..BP down much more relaxed. I have lunch with ex co-workers about once a month or so and I listen to the stories and complaints and I realize how much I don't miss it at all. I do not regret it at all and never looked back. Financially we were ready we planned for the last 20 years or so.