Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberris View Post
Correct, they don't have cash value. However, a term policy might have some value in the final years, if it is a level term policy.
Yes- as an example, if you've just taken out a 5-year level term policy for $100,000, there's a nonzero chance you could die within 5 years. If you're a 50-year old male you have a 3% chance of dying during the policy period using a mortality table on the SSA site. Neglecting any profit or expense loads, that policy would be worth 3% of $100,000, or $3,000, minus any premiums the investor would have to pay during those 5 years. Factor in premiums and expense and you'd get less than $3,000. I suspect that it would be worth it only on very large policies where the policyholder is in poor health.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

No. We never had whole life policies. We reduced our term insurance when our children left and when we became financially independent.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #23

No, I have never contacted one of these places. Right now DH has a term, and I have a term through my new job, as I am otherwise uninsurable. When I was young and first married, I bought a whole life from All State. I kept sending in money, and the cash value never did rise above zero, so I cancelled it.

The "value" of a term policy such as yours depends largely on your health. Which involves turning over a great deal of personal information. For a healthy, say, in the range of 60 year old female, the value of your policy for the purchaser may be extremely small, if anything. Athena did the math . . .

It appears that the assumption is, if the purchaser is not honest, your only risk is financial
Old 05-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Gauss
It makes sense except in the case of a term policy what happens if the term expires before the insured?
I'm hoping the OP will contact them and give us an update.
Then the buyer of the policy loses. In related news, not all stocks go up.
bberris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2017/09...20180405212039

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From the above article: "The amount you will receive in the secondary market depends on a range of factors, including your age, health and the terms and conditions of your policy—but it is generally more than the policy's cash surrender value and less than the net death benefit."

So, for once (older) age and (bad) health works for you!

-BB
Old 05-06-2018, 04:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Has Anyone Sold Their Life Insurance?

IIRC, many viaticals were sold to help Aids victims get some $$ to carry them through their last few years. However, AIDS treatments advanced at a quicker than expected pace and a lot of the buyers had to wait decades to finally collect. Personally, I never liked the idea of an investment that was directly tied to the death of a specific individual.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Life settlements are a thing and some of the states have even licensed agents to conduct them, similar to how they license agents to sell insurance in the first place. The buyers in this market will buy whole life, universal and term policies, but the last has to have a valid coercion option or guaranteed renewal. In general, the market (last I heard) was for people in their 70s, preferably in poor health. Personally, I find the idea of someone profiting off my death if it happens sooner rather distasteful, so I would be very reluctant to even consider selling a policy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had clients with policies that we tried to sell for them. The value of the policy isn't just the CSV, but also includes the buyer's estimate of the insured's life expectancy. A term policy can have great value if the insured is expected to pass in a relatively short time. Buying one policy makes no sense, but buying a basket of policies can be a good investment if you do a good job in the "underwriting" of the sellers.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Don't forget that this thing has to pass through many hands before they make you an offer. Each one of those hands need to be paid before the policyholder does.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote