Join Early Retirement Today

Has cancer but no insurance...
Old 09-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has cancer but no insurance...

What is in place in our medical system to deal with a person with throat cancer that has no private insurance and is only 56 years old?

I just found out that a cousin is in this predicament.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Has cancer but no insurance...
Old 09-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If he's disabled (can't work) from this- get him on MEDICARE DISABILITY FAST - MUCH BETTER THAN MEDICAL/MEDICAID. Many more MDs to choose from. Best choice. He can also get a Guaranteed Issue Medicare Supplement from most Blue Shields if he applies within 6 mos of his Medicare issue date. He must not blow this 6 month window.

Failing that, If he doesn't have much income/assets- he can qualify for MediCal (in California) Medicaid everywhere else. Many (maybe most) MDs avoid MediCal patients due to low reimbursement.

If he does have assets/income- and he can private pay- he will find more MDs willing to treat him.

If he's near a major medical center, he may qualify for "Charity Care* as it's called at UCSF without having to get on Medi-Cal.

If he's computer-literate- he can google the type of cancer he has and "clinical trials" and see if he's eligible for anything.

If he's adventurous, 60 minutes re-ran a story of TOP QUALITY hospitals in Thailand and India that cater to foreigners for 1/10 the cost in the US- this may be the SECOND BEST OPTION if he can't get on Medicare and can't private pay.

Good Luck,
Art

P.S. In California, he can request in advance a LETTER OF DECLINATION from any health insurance company which is his ticket to get into the Major Risk program- but it has $50k/year caps on payments and a waiting list.

I'd try to get on Medicare Disability fast and get a Medicare Supplement.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #3

check out this link: http://www.patientadvocate.org/index.php?p=74
Old 09-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #4

Hey Art, Spanky, thanks for the ideas and comments. I'll get him started. But as always, this person has no computer and seems totally unaware of their own plight.

Having had company insurance all my life, I took it for granted that everyone had it. Wrong assumption.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

What state does he live in?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #6

Martha, he lives in North Carolina.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Have him read the Georgetown University guide on his health insurance rights and options in North Carolina. http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/nc.pdf

Apparently North Carolina residents are guaranteed the right to buy health insurance the Blue Cross/Blue Shield, but the price can be high. Medicaid may be an option if disabled and very low income. The website for social security disability is at http://www.ssa.gov/disability.html with links to medicare. I think there is a pretty long waiting period if I recall.

Edit: from the medicare website:

Before age 65, you are eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance if:

* You have been entitled to Social Security disability benefits for 24 months; or
* You receive a disability pension from the railroad retirement board and meet certain conditions; or
* You have Lou Gehrig’s disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis); or
* You, your parent or your spouse (living or deceased, including a divorced spouse) worked long enough in a Medicare-covered government job and you or they meet the requirements of the Social Security disability program.

If you have kidney disease

If you have permanent kidney failure, you are eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance at any age. This is true if you receive maintenance dialysis or a kidney transplant and:

* You are eligible for or receive monthly benefits under Social Security or the railroad retirement system; or
* You have worked long enough in a Medicare-covered government job; or
* You are the child or spouse (including a divorced spouse) of a worker (living or deceased) who has worked long enough under Social Security or in a Medicare-covered government job.

Medical insurance (Part B)

Anyone who is eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) can enroll in Medicare medical insurance (Part B) by paying a monthly premium.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #8

Martha, you are pure gold. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No problem Oapie. (Is it OK if I call you Oapie?)

Old 09-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #10

You can call me Oapie, if I can call you Marthamylustywench.

But it has to be a Latin type of accent. Sort of hot and bothered language, with the typical ending in an "ahhh carumba" type flourish.

But really, that info is great and this dude is in for a long fight.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #11

Art, thanks for the clarification. Having lived overseas with various "free" care plans, I'm really lost in what we provide in the US.

Appreciated your advice. Worried a bit for a relative . Our system is fine by me but just want to look out and help a relative.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #12

How about starting a j*b with decent group coverage.

Just a thought ...
Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
How about starting a j*b with decent group coverage.

Just a thought ...
Good chance there would be a waiting period before he would be covered and a pre-existing condition exclusion period as well (unless moving from one group plan to another).

Old 09-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's so scary... My husband pass away because of cancer. I am currently working but i could get lay off any time... I am in the mainframe business and chance of getting another job is pretty slim. I do have my 401K and his 401K, do I have to spend all of my money to pay for the hospital before I can get government's help? I am only 50, loooong before 65.. Men... I don't mind to die but I am afraid to live when I don't have money.
qbkatran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #15

I have a feeling my cousin will be without means of support before this is over. He alledgedly has a small annuity bought last year with insurance settlement money.

qbkatran, sorry for you loss. I'm suprising unafraid of dying suddently, but I am definitely worried about my health taking away my life slowly. My recently drafted Living Will will be a real comfort when its legalized.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbkatran

It's so scary... My husband pass away because of cancer. I am currently working but i could get lay off any time... I am in the mainframe business and chance of getting another job is pretty slim. I do have my 401K and his 401K, do I have to spend all of my money to pay for the hospital before I can get government's help? I am only 50, loooong before 65.. Men... I don't mind to die but I am afraid to live when I don't have money.
Very sad to hear about your husband. If you are covered by group health insurance and get laid off, you have a variety of rights which may help you get replacement health insurance. Your ability to get insurance will be much easier if your health is good. However, it is not necessarily impossible if your health is bad. Those rights do vary in different states. For a guide as to what your rights are in your state, you can look at the Georgetown University website at www.healthinsuranceinfo.net.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks Martha,

Does this mean that I need to work until my company lay me off. Because if I quit to retire early I will not qualify for the medical insurance? The reason I asked because I am also burned out with my job, I have some volunteer work that I rather do and I save some money to live simply but if I get seriously sick it will break me. I don't think I have the right to die if I am seriously ill, I rather leave the money to my children than spending it to chemotherapy stuff, they're painful and there are no guarantee of curing the disease. I have went thru it with my husband and I don't want my children to go thru it if I am sick.. May be I am thinking too far ahead but just ...worrying....
qbkatran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbkatran
Thanks Martha,

Does this mean that I need to work until my company lay me off. Because if I quit to retire early I will not qualify for the medical insurance? The reason I asked because I am also burned out with my job, I have some volunteer work that I rather do and I save some money to live simply but if I get seriously sick it will break me. I don't think I have the right to die if I am seriously ill, I rather leave the money to my children than spending it to chemotherapy stuff, they're painful and there are no guarantee of curing the disease. I have went thru it with my husband and I don't want my children to go thru it if I am sick.. May be I am thinking too far ahead but just ...worrying....
If you are covered by group insurance through work, before quitting you should see if you can buy an individual health plan on the open market. If you have difficulty, you can look at your rights which are outlined in the consumer guide on the Georgetown University website I described above.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #19

Martha,
I sent your links to a sister who is nearer where my cousin lives. She is talking to a retired health care administrator who is a friend and she's armed with the Georgetown info. She'll then tackle the bureaucrats.

I'm interested to see how she fares. She's pretty tenacious.