Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Has Scrouge been wrongly demonized?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Has Scrouge been wrongly demonized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
In subsequent posts nun still uses Scrouge so I assume that he is either talking about the Scrouge who lives in the USA, or his thrifty phone has a spill chucker that keeps auto correcting to Scrouge

So you're saying it must the British spelling, a la "colour"...
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Which Scrooge are we talking about? The one before the visits from the spirits, who would not allow Bob Cratchit to put coal into the stove? Or the generous and caring post visitation Scrooge who did his best to help others?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am cheap/frugal when it comes to spending on myself, but generous when it comes to spending on others.

Examples:

I get my hair cut at Great Clips, but I leave a generous tip for the person who cuts my hair.

I take my lunch to work 98% of the time, but I contribute a nice gift to each baby shower, wedding shower, etc. at work.

Regarding the OP, the only area in my life I refuse to be cheap is the heat. I spent decades with the thermostat down, and for my 60th birthday I decided I am "too damn old to be cold" any longer!

When I am home, it is 72 during the day and 70 at night. Frugality be damned - I'm going to be toasty! I cut back in other areas to offset it (no cable, etc).

If I were your visitor, I would have rented a hotel room for my visit, and met you in well-heated venues - that's a win-win.

Oh, and I probably would have gifted you some nice warm socks.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are you on a tight budget and unwilling to spend the effort to correct the spelling of Scrooge as well?
That was driving me nuts! I knew Scrooge was misspelled! Thanks, whew!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I am cheap/frugal when it comes to spending on myself, but generous when it comes to spending on others.
I'm pretty much in that camp as well. The truth is, I don't *want* much -- just security, food, shelter, basic clothing and health, and relatively cheap ways to amuse myself to pass the time. But I don't want to make others suffer because of my thrift. We have one restaurant in town, and the prices are low. It's common for two people to get out of there for $15 or less. But I refuse to tip less than $2 per person, which sometimes results in close to a 30% tip. But I feel cheap and tight if I tipped less.

To me, that is part of the distinction between being thrifty and being miserly. Thrifty means I'm a tightwad toward myself. Miserly means being a tightwad to everyone, even those who deserve better for the services they provided for you. I own frugal, but I'm not a miser.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Thrifty and miserly are not the same.
+1

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post

Examples:

I get my hair cut at Great Clips, but I leave a generous tip for the person who cuts my hair.

I take my lunch to work 98% of the time, but I contribute a nice gift to each baby shower, wedding shower, etc. at work.

Regarding the OP, the only area in my life I refuse to be cheap is the heat. I spent decades with the thermostat down, and for my 60th birthday I decided I am "too damn old to be cold" any longer!

When I am home, it is 72 during the day and 70 at night. Frugality be damned - I'm going to be toasty! I cut back in other areas to offset it (no cable, etc).

If I were your visitor, I would have rented a hotel room for my visit, and met you in well-heated venues - that's a win-win.

Oh, and I probably would have gifted you some nice warm socks.

Calico, this should make you feel better about how you treat yourself. My BF's dad is well off but is cheap to himself. Has given away 6 figures to my BF, his son, and freely gives to his church. BUT... Didnt turn the AC once last summer, and MO heat isnt life in San Diego. Boarded up two rooms because they are not needed and saves on heat bill in winter. Beef is too high to buy, but curiously he always has a brand new vehicle to drive. It probably is worth more than the house is. He is happy so that is all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
There's a widespread feeling that it's bad to be careful with money, mean, frugal.....to be like Scrouge in Christmas Carol. Of course it's bad to treat others unfairly and I see generosity to others as a positive character trait. But is it bad to be frugal when it comes to your own spending? Some people seem to think so. For example I keep my heating at 62F and a visiting friend recently said my house was cold and I was being "too mean", but I bumped the temperature up to 68F for her because I wanted her to be comfortable......it went back to 62F when she left.

The thing is I like being frugal. It's a sort of game to see how little I can spend and still be comfortable. So I cut the cable cord and found other ways to watch programs; I cook and bake a lot which is cheap, fun and tasty and now. I just had an unexpected $11k expense for new furnaces which consumed a third of this year's budget and I could dip into reserves, but I wonder if I can trim spending by 33%. I'm going to try and even if I only do 20% or 10% it will be worthwhile and an enjoyable challenge....I do actually mean enjoyable.
It's fine to have a hobby, and keeping spending down is one. As someone else stated, it can also become an obsession (so can many other activities), and that's not good. Do what you want, but pay attention to how you are perceived by others. If you start picking up the "crazy" vibe, you might want to step back and reconsider. And if you have friends who won't come by because your house is too cold, you might be starting to push the limit. Or maybe having hot flashes.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Sorry to say that my DW would be turning up the temp big time if she was with you...

Our temp downstairs is 74 and upstairs 72... really upstairs does not turn on much as the temp from downstairs does the job....

I do agree that if you want to be that frugal, then that is fine.... but if you kept the temp at 62, I would only come to your house once... I am not willing to come if it is that cold... my mother likes it very warm... like 78... she turns it down when I come over and back up when I leave... sure, it is YOUR house and you can keep it at any temp you like.... but if I am uncomfortable I also do not have to stay....
You miss my point. I turn the heat up when people visit so that they are comfortable. I try not to be frugal with my consideration for others.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It's fine to have a hobby, and keeping spending down is one. As someone else stated, it can also become an obsession (so can many other activities), and that's not good. Do what you want, but pay attention to how you are perceived by others. If you start picking up the "crazy" vibe, you might want to step back and reconsider. And if you have friends who won't come by because your house is too cold, you might be starting to push the limit. Or maybe having hot flashes.
I already have the crazy vibe with my friends because I retired early.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I've lived on the Canadian prairies my entire life and am no stranger to -40 with -55 wind chills. That being said, 62 is too cold in my house unless I'm on the treadmill.

But, as long as you're not cheap with others or making needless sacrifices, enjoy saving as much as you can.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm probably an outlier. I admire people who are frugal. Visiting with friends whose thermostat was turned down wouldn't bother me in the least. I understand the "hobby" nature of reducing expenses. It's an intellectual exercise and a personal challenge to some people, and it holds appeal for people who admire efficiency.
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Calico, this should make you feel better about how you treat yourself. My BF's dad is well off but is cheap to himself. Has given away 6 figures to my BF, his son, and freely gives to his church. BUT... Didnt turn the AC once last summer, and MO heat isnt life in San Diego. Boarded up two rooms because they are not needed and saves on heat bill in winter. Beef is too high to buy, but curiously he always has a brand new vehicle to drive. It probably is worth more than the house is. He is happy so that is all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's too extreme for me - I throw caution to the winds and heat EVERY room in my small house. Oh, the horror!

I'm all about happy mediums these days.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Personal frugality is fine as long as you don't impose it on others. Turn the heat up for visitors. Don't cheap out (skipping appetizers, drinks) when at a group dinner out, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #35

I'm all for LBYM. But I have to be physically comfortable. I can't deal with living in less then 74 degrees. Anything below that I cannot function. The sleeping level is at 69 degrees though. we heat with gas and my budget gas bill is only 41 per month right now. I can hang my frugal hat on that I guess. As far as saving money, I'd rather live in a 2100 sq ft home at 74/69 degrees than a 3500 sq ft home at 64 degrees. That, and I don't want to deal with SWMBO (oops, I meant DW). I also have one of the lowest electric bills in my area according to the electric company. Except at Christmas time with all the lights, or when I heat my garage for working on a project. There, I keep it at 55-60 degrees when I'm in there. I do wish I had a gas heater in the garage though.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #36

I see nothing wrong with being extremely frugal with your own living arrangements. Why should it bother you or anyone else?

I think about the guy who died last year in Vermont. Worked at a gas station and was described as extremely frugal (and in Vermont that's saying something). Left millions to local worthy causes. He was happy, lived life on his own terms, and did a lot of good with what he didn't spend on himself.

Here's how a janitor amassed an $8M fortune
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #37

Quote:
You miss my point. I turn the heat up when people visit so that they are comfortable. I try not to be frugal with my consideration for others.
But according to your first post you didn't turn up the heat until your visitor commented on it.
I have a friend that keeps her house very cool in winter. I never say anything about it. I just dress warm. When she come to my house she makes an elaborate gesture of taking off her coat and saying "whew". She claims she never comments about how "hot" other peoples homes are. I don't think my friend's mean. She's frugal and likes it cooler. She also doesn't like you to wear your shoes in the house because you'll get her carpet dirty or scuff the wood floors. She is my friend and you take your friends warts and all.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, thanks for the pointing that out... you did say you turned it up for your friend, but I do not remember you saying you did it before she arrived...

You might be like one of my sisters... lives up in Oregon in the mountains and has no problem with it being in the 50s inside... the rest of the family who still live down south do....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Personal frugality is fine as long as you don't impose it on others. Turn the heat up for visitors. Don't cheap out (skipping appetizers, drinks) when at a group dinner out, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Except that is not imposing it on others.... why should I pay for an appetizer or a drink if I do not want one Just to fit in? Nope....

I am also not a big fan of everybody go out and order anything you want and split it equally between the people... there was one time that happened when I worked in the UK and the bill came out to be about 150 pounds per person... some people did not have the money which meant other had to pick up the slack... (we are talking lower paid people here).... it was a big surprise, but people just kept on order stuff....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I am also not a big fan of everybody go out and order anything you want and split it equally between the people... there was one time that happened when I worked in the UK and the bill came out to be about 150 pounds per person... some people did not have the money which meant other had to pick up the slack... (we are talking lower paid people here).... it was a big surprise, but people just kept on order stuff....
I used to work at a place that had a few big drinkers who easily consumed on alcoholic beverages alone twice what I spent on an entire lunch out, they always wanted to split the bill equally. After the first time, I kept track of what my meal and drink cost, added a generous tip, and tossed in just that amount. After the third time, I avoided this group entirely and went to lunch with a colleague who supported a wife and three kids. He was always very frugal

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote