Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Smaller govt, works for me.
if they're non-essential tgen why do we need them in the first place?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
>>>If the moderators feel this topic breaches policy, please accept my apologies and remove the thread.<<<

I was walking around today and had the thought, "Is the government still shut down?" and I realized that I literally haven't noticed any change in my daily life. Just curious what affect it's had on others?
I think it affected me positively. Everyone else must have been scared to submit their passport for renewal in case of stuck in purgatory so I got my renewal back in about three weeks, including Christmas/NY !
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
if they're non-essential tgen why do we need them in the first place?

The longer this drags on, the more obvious this becomes.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #24

I don't think this forum is the place to bash federal workers. There are many Federal retirees and workers on this thread. The OP did not ask your opinion of your fellow members of this site.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Other than listening to forum member bitch no I haven’t been affected
Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think anyone is bashing federal workers in this thread.

The shutdown hasn't effected us personally and I am hopeful some value will come from this.

PS I spent Saturday attending the funeral of Ronil Singh. I highly recommend watching the YouTube video of the Modesto PD speaker. He was also the first speaker.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:02 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm woke enough to realize we're all connected. Even though I can't point to a specific, I know it is affecting us, and will grow in impact.

I don't have a specific example of being affected by shutdown, but I there is unrealized effect. For example, tax business where I expect to put in 200 hours work will be chaotic. IRS may have as many as 90% of its employees on furlough. It's going to have impact.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
I don't think anyone is bashing federal workers in this thread.

The shutdown hasn't effected us personally and I am hopeful some value will come from this.

PS I spent Saturday attending the funeral of Ronil Singh. I highly recommend watching the YouTube video of the Modesto PD speaker. He was also the first speaker.
Some of us work with federal and defense workers. Even have a few in the family. Jokes about non-essential workers are offensive.

The employer tags workers as non-essential. When they go home to their families, they are very essential.

I'm fortunate to work in defense, where there is no shutdown.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Not directly, but I hate what I am hearing about troubles in the national parks.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately, DoD's funding was approved separately last fall. Your tax dollars are still funding military, DoD civilians, and many, many contractors who work to defend us all.

(I mean, those in the Federal workforce could say, during employment downturns, "Hmph, so, some anonymous megacorp people are out of work? They were mostly hired because they're related to the bosses...don't do anything but make power points and go on trips anyway." But that would be ignorant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Some of us work with federal and defense workers. Even have a few in the family. Jokes about non-essential workers are offensive.

I'm fortunate to work in defense, where there is no shutdown.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:36 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We went through TSA on Friday. SIL yesterday. The only change we could tell was that it all seemed a bit faster to go through security.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:40 AM   #32
Gone but not forgotten

Sincere good luck. Hopefully this will blow over quickly. In case you missed this, check out the this link for an update as of 1 Jan 8, for some of the potential effects. http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2169470
Old 01-08-2019, 04:54 AM   #33
Administrator

For all the metaphorical forests of paper and barrels of ink spent on what is going on in DC, my state and town government have a far greater and more immediate impact on my finances and my personal life in general. That said, I do w*rk collaboratively on some cases with the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, and our joint cases currently are affected by the shutdown.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Not directly, but I hate what I am hearing about troubles in the national parks.
Me too.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
The longer this drags on, the more obvious this becomes.
Wouldn't it be nice if after this ends (and our borders are more secure) they use some of our tax dollars to CONFIRM/figure out what portion of the government is no longer needed (or was never needed in the first place) AND THEN TERMINATE IT. Yes, I realize terminate means firing people. It happens. Ask a Sears or GE employee.

If that occurs, this exercise was more valuable than anyone could have imagined.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Who is this "they"? If "they" are using tax dollars, then you've just created more government

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if after this ends (and our borders are more secure) they use some of our tax dollars to CONFIRM/figure out what portion of the government is no longer needed (or was never needed in the first place) AND THEN TERMINATE IT. Yes, I realize terminate means firing people. It happens. Ask a Sears or GE employee.

If that occurs, this exercise was more valuable than anyone could have imagined.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:22 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...ause-shutdown/

Weather forecasting is affected by the shutdown, for the worse.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #38

Yes.

Helping my sister with an IRS issue. She received a correspondence from them but there is no one at the IRS to answer any questions.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #39

I was an Essential Employee before I retired and went through shutdowns. It bothered me because the Non-Essentials got a free vacation out of it while I had to work. Everyone always got paid.

As to the shutdown affecting me now...it does not affect me at all. I also think the media is playing this thing up.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

They were running one TSA precheck at ATL.

Eftps.gov still up and runnng happy to take my Q4 estimated tax payment.

Uh-oh DH needs to renew his passport this year.