Have extra money to invest, looking for most tax efficient vehicle

gride50

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am in the 25% fed tax bracket and have $90k in savings account and looking to move $50k-$60k. I would not like to generate any interest or dividend income that would be taxed. I already invest in both Roth and 401k. I would also like to invest part of each paycheck in the same manner.

Are municipal bonds or municipal bond funds my only choice? I am in my mid 50's and have 30% of portfolio allocated to bonds, so not sure if I should increase allocation.

Would appreciate any feedback regarding best investment choices.

Thanks

I think your best bet would be to investigate individual growth stocks. They would not be taxable until you sell them. However, I think you're making a mistake trying to totally avoid taxes. If you can find a dividend paying growth stock, I think your overall return has a chance to be better than a "tax efficient" investment. You should be concerned with your after tax return, not avoiding taxes in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Just curious, do you have a kid in the 11th grade?

I assume that you have no credit card debt, and have a low (<4%) mortgage rate. If not, pay down debt that is more than ~5% first.

Then, look at index ETFs. Growth stocks are fine, but sometimes they do not grow. Look at IVW (S&P 500 growth) as a free ETF trade at Fidelity if you want growth, Or even IVV (S&P 500)

Deferred compensation account if available to you.

Charitable giving account is tax deductible and tax free coming out.

Stocks taxed favorably and deferred.

Ibonds are tax deferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'd buy muni bonds that take you to a 60/40 ratio of stocks to bonds, especially if you're in an income tax State. I'd be careful of a long term mutual unless you'll plan on hanging on to them for a long time.

Perhaps the most tax efficient investment is one that loses money because then you get to take a tax deduction for that. Is that really what you want?

Back
Top Bottom