Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Always capitulate before you go to sleep

(what's the point of a revolution without general, general capitulation, capitulation, capitulation--Marat/Sade)
First thing in the morning works too.

We're seeing a total credit lockdown. Banks won't lend to anyone. There isn't any faith that banks will be able to pay them back. I don't know where it will end but I'm convinced it is a self-fulfilling disaster. An effective break in creating value in performing mortgages will go a long way to fixing what's wrong.

Speaking of credit -- My CD from Silver State Bank (defaulted) has finally paid its dividend and the CD was also cashed out by the acquiring bank. The money is in my brokerage account.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
First thing in the morning works too.
No comment! moving right along....

Quote:
We're seeing a total credit lockdown. Banks won't lend to anyone. There isn't any faith that banks will be able to pay them back. I don't know where it will end but I'm convinced it is a self-fulfilling disaster. An effective break in creating value in performing mortgages will go a long way to fixing what's wrong.
What a mess. I am so lucky that I am older with no need to borrow. Younger people are really going to have to scramble, or borrow from the "Bank of Mom and Dad". Luckily, my daughter hasn't ever done that (yet).

Quote:
Speaking of credit -- My CD from Silver State Bank (defaulted) has finally paid its dividend and the CD was also cashed out by the acquiring bank. The money is in my brokerage account.
I am so happy for you! Even though nobody has ever lost money from an FDIC insured account, still I would have thought it could take longer had they stepped in. I guess they don't have to if the bank was acquired. At any rate, you have the cash in hand, and what a relief that must be.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #43

Was it Bernstein that said "diversification fails us when we need it most"?
Anyway, I have been trying to wean myself from market timing. So since I am ERed and completely invested, there is nothing to do but wait for the turnaround.

Free to Canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oldbabe, I heard that every stock in the Dow was down today. I have heard it said that this downturn is unusual in that normally uncorrelated assets are sinking simultaneously.
That's a big reason why this one feels so sickening. In the tech wreck of 2000-2002, several equity classes went sharply higher (small caps, REITs, emerging markets, precious metals to name a few). As a result someone who had a diversified AA (and not overweight tech) didn't get slaughtered then because gains in these areas mostly offset losses in large cap U.S. stocks.

Contrast that to now, where nothing that's an equity asset class is avoiding the carnage.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

I hated to wake her...
We call that playing coroner...

But yeah, capitulation is getting closer. This fiasco yesterday really got to some of our folks. Boss came back from lunch with a pint of Haagen Daz.

It is times like these that will serve to remind me that when retirement comes, I will have cash reserves for living expenses--it may mean that we live on less, but at least one of us will be sleeping.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
It is times like these that will serve to remind me that when retirement comes, I will have cash reserves for living expenses--it may mean that we live on less, but at least one of us will be sleeping.
It certainly shows why the concept of having "buckets" could be useful. Any retiree who put 5-10 years of income needs into "safe" stuff is probably weathering this a lot more easily than someone who didn't.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It certainly shows why the concept of having "buckets" could be useful. Any retiree who put 5-10 years of income needs into "safe" stuff is probably weathering this a lot more easily than someone who didn't.
Well, the old saying: "Cash is king" is probably appropo at this point.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unfortunately the definition of "safe" has become A LOT more narrow.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

When wondering whether we've hit the low, the phrase I listen for is "there's no bottom in sight," which also works for "have we copulated yet?"

And speaking of this, the police chief of a nearby town was recently indicted on charges of raping his wife while she was sleeping. She (a sergeant on the same force) said it happened hundreds of times. Ambien was involved. He was acquitted on those charges but convicted of other things.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ambien was involved.
So it was a threesome?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's a big reason why this one feels so sickening. In the tech wreck of 2000-2002, several equity classes went sharply higher (small caps, REITs, emerging markets, precious metals to name a few). As a result someone who had a diversified AA (and not overweight tech) didn't get slaughtered then because gains in these areas mostly offset losses in large cap U.S. stocks.

Contrast that to now, where nothing that's an equity asset class is avoiding the carnage.
Yeah but just think, they should all go up together too, and won't that be fun!
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #52

if this wasn't the bottom, i think it will be in a few months on a lower VIX

even after yesterday the charts were still bullish and looked a lot like end of 2002. back then it was pretty bad on July where the VIX hit the same level as now and then a lower low in October on a lower VIX and some averages like the MACD were higher than July.

means that the second drop was a lot faster and people sold out of pure fear where the first drop is more gradual and people still have hope
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote