Have we capitulated yet?

2B

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just thought I'd start a new "ain't it awful" tread about the stock market. It really sucks. At least that's my opinion.

I don't know if WE have capitulated. But, I have capitulated!

UNCLE! UNCLE! UNCLE!

I have not yet decided if it totally sucks or not. I have a lot of cash on the sidelines (about 50% of my portfolio), and would love to dump it into the market when it is 30-50% off its high. OTOH, I understand that a depression or severe recession hurt me, my community and the county in many ways. On the balance, I would prefer for this not to have happened. OTOH, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I oppose the bailout, although I strongly suspect a different version will pass later this week, and be just as expensive and just as rewarding to the guilty.

Oof. I really hope tomorrow is better.

It probably IS a good time to rebalance.

I think we have to go lower. We are not even in a recession yet (technically speaking) and we have yet to see horrible earnings from companies reflecting the health of the economy as a whole. Banks are just starting to blow up abroad. DOW 8000? lower? I don't know but I can't imagine this is the bottom. The most bearish forecasts (Marc Faber, David Tice, etc...) put the DOW around 6000-8000 in 18 months... That's another 20-35% down from where we are tonight.

I think we have to go lower. We are not even in a recession yet (technically speaking) and we have yet to see horrible earnings from companies reflecting the economy as a whole. Banks are just starting to blow up abroad. DOW 8000? lower? I don't know but I can't imagine this is the bottom. The most bearish forecasts (Marc Faber, David Tice, etc...) put the DOW around 6000-8000 in 18 months... That's another 20-35% down from where we are tonight.

Suze Orman (granted, not the be all and end all in investing) says this is not a good time to invest new money because the market is really tricky right now. I just thought that was interesting since she usually sticks with common sense advice.

I hope your bearish forecasts are incorrect. In fact, I am hoping that this is another one of those weeks that ends up where it began. That would sure be nice.

Easy there, 2B, you of all people! Ok, I can still dig deep into my past for inspiration: a French teacher handing out pop quizzes, speaking English with ah, a French accent, "do not pa-nique, do not pa-nique."

No, no, I have not capitulated yet. And have no plans to sell. I did re-allocate last summer and am thinking long term.

Suze Orman (granted, not the be all and end all in investing) says this is not a good time to invest new money because the market is really tricky right now. I just thought that was interesting since she usually sticks with common sense advice.

I hope your bearish forecasts are incorrect. In fact, I am hoping that this is another one of those weeks that ends up where it began. That would sure be nice.

The other day she said that in a couple of years it will be a good time to buy stocks and that in the mean time you should not invest new money in the market... I don't know it kinda agrees with some of those bearish forecasts out there... The next 18-24 months are going to be nasty for stocks... Keep your powder dry if you are a DMT...

Nobody (I know of) is saying that we will see DOW 8000 by the end of the week (I sure hope we don't!). We might go back up from here and go back down later. I really don't know. And like most people on this board, I hope the bears are wrong... But let's face it, the tide is going their way right now...

But do not pa-nique! The market will recover... one day...

Ah, oui, do not pa-nique! Do not pa-nique! :D

I just heard that in the market crash of 1987, the market dropped 45% (not overnight, but in a brief time). I am not pa-niqu-ing but just computed what my portfolio would look like after a 45% drop in the market. Those guys had to be tough back then!

Easy for Suze to say, she's 100% cash and Tbills..........:D:D

I'm sleeping better, but then everytime I see this thread title I think it says "have we copulated yet" :)

I'm sleeping better, but then everytime I see this thread title I think it says "have we copulated yet" :)

Oooh!! You must be like Ha, with your mind turning towards, uh, that stuff when the market gets really icky. :D

I just get a nervous stomach. :p

In fact, I am hoping that this is another one of those weeks that ends up where it began. That would sure be nice.

I don't recall who said it but "Hope is not a good investment strategy". ;)

With that poke at W2R :D I would have to say today was as close to 'panic' as we've seen in this market. Of course, it could just be the market looking forward 6 months or so and seeing reduced earnings and employment due to a lack of credit. Time will tell.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow but I'm retired, if I was in the accumulation phase I would be up early. :)

I don't recall who said it but "Hope is not a good investment strategy". ;)

Yeah, but I'm OK just staying the course for now. I should be all excited about the blue-light special, but I think I'll just sit back and watch. I tend to be more comfortable just following my plan and maintaining a conservative AA.

With that poke at W2R :D I would have to say today was as close to 'panic' as we've seen in this market. Of course, it could just be the market looking forward 6 months or so and seeing reduced earnings and employment due to a lack of credit. Time will tell.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow but I'm retired, if I was in the accumulation phase I would be up early. :)

It was pretty scary for a lot of people. I am in the accumulation phase, though nearly there (just 404 more days). I have accumulated enough but I am waiting for lifetime medical. People at work know when I plan to retire, and it's unnerving seeing them looking at me with concern and whispering about the market. I will make it, though, unless the market completely craters or very nearly so.

Of course, it might! ;) Do not pa-nique, do not pa-nique...

We might as well since that is something we can still afford to do !

Not really. Pretty soon, I won't be able to afford the little blue pills to make it happen.
img_722878_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif

Back
Top Bottom