Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Ever Had Your Credit Card # Stolen?
Yes 109 55.05%
No 89 44.95%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #21

Twice. When I was in Australia, someone got my card I was using there and bought some airline tickets. Second time was last year when some establishment made some $19.99 charges to my Chase account, hoping that they would not be noticed. However, it was an AOR (App o Rama) card which I hadn't used after I spend the $100 opening credit.

In both cases, the charges were reversed and I got new plastic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Cheap theif
Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap theif

Two days before my daughter's wedding she charged her reception at a fine hotel in San Jose on her Visa Card (let there be no doubt - we paid for the wedding, not the reception). The day before the wedding party went to Nordstroms to pick out last minute honeymoon necessities, put on Visa. On the way home she stopped to get her car washed, charged it on Visa. Shortly after arriving home Visa called to ask about a charge at Montgomery Ward, "Not typical of your spending pattern".. someone had stolen her number at the car wash!

Here we were on Friday afternoon with a canceled Visa, a Saturday wedding and honeymoon travel starting Sunday (which had been booked using the canceled Visa number). No problem they said, we are arranging to have a new card in your hands at the church. And they did just that.

If the car wash thief had charged at Tiffany's it wouldn't have been noticed by Visa's computer.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

So does the card company eat the fraudulent charges or are they back charged to the company that took the card? Vaguely remember getting a bad charge at the repair shop and having the card company stick us because we hadn't called for an authorization #. Gee - (blink blink) how can the card companies manage to eat all those bad charges? (blink blink)
Old 02-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think they do if the charge meets certain criteria. Because my daughter still had her credit card in hand and the Montgomery Ward charge was a store charge (although modest in the scheme of things) I am sure the back-charged MW to give them incentive to nab the clerk who was in cahoots with the thief.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Had lunch with a special agent from an oil company yesterday, he told us that his company absorbed $125,000 woth of fraudulent transactions last year at one of our gas stations. This is the highest that they ever absorbed for any one gas station.

Credit card fraud is a pretty nasty problem, a credit card processor computer system was compromised recently, millions of credit card numbers were stolen. The only way to minimize fraud is to go pin based transaction. It will not eliminate the problem but large scale fraud will become much harder.

mP
Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I noticed that cc purchases at gas stations in CA require entering the card olders billing zip code. In many ways that is better than a pin as it can't be read from the cc.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I was pickpocketed in Rome a number of years back, but reported the stolen cards quickly enough to avoid any problems. I've had cards replaced 3 times due to lost or stolen data at the CC companies. But I've never actually had anyone else charge anything to my number. <knock on wood>
Old 02-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #28

I've had unauthorized charges at least a dozen times, dating back a decade. Much of that was in Brazil on corporate diners cards - after a trip, bogus charges would appear. On personal cards, over the past 5 years, maybe 4 or 5 times. Dealing with Citibank was a PITA, while USAA was easy.

Another bogus charge I've had, as have 2 of my children, are unauthorized Citibank charges for their credit card protection program. A true hassle, involving phone calls with extended sales pitches to the charges corrected.

Michael
Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Somebody used my "ATM card" with my pin number to withdraw 2x$200 in Las Vegas... I called WFC
Did you call WFC's WTF line?

Quote:
someone got my card I was using there and bought some airline tickets.
Now, how does that work? Can't the cops just show up and arrest the passenger??
Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Now, how does that work? Can't the cops just show up and arrest the passenger??
It depends how anxious the local cops are to go after CC fraud.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Several year ago one of my cards was replaced "out of the blue" by a Credit Union. I suspect it was one of the "data stolen" incidents.
That happened to me this week. B of A said that my information "may have been compromised by a third party". They said there were no unusual charges on the account, but they closed it and issued my a new card as a prophylactic measure.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yep, this has happened to me a couple of times. Seems like about once every 2 years or so. Somehow some fraudulent charges start to appear even though we have our cards. BAC is always on it immediately. In neither case was it clear how someone got the #, but all fraudulent charges seemed to be coming from overseas.

Since the first time, I keep a separate "isolated" card for any recurring monthly bills plus just a very few trusted on-line merchants. Any one else gets the "main" "disposable" card. Then when it has to be replaced, no big deal!

The funny thing is that the CC fraud always seems to coincide with the start of a new extensive trip! We have yet another "backup" card that we switch to while waiting for the new credit cards to catch up with us.

Seems routine now.....

Audrey
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had a credit card I was sending to DD stolen from outgoing mail at home. Credit card company detected deviation from normal spending, called us, and was pretty easy to deal with......had to fill out some forms and swear to validity of theft . Installed a mail slot into garage immediately after and now alway put in outgoing mail in USPS boxes.
Also, if sending card, never validate card until it is received by other party.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
So does the card company eat the fraudulent charges or are they back charged to the company that took the card? Vaguely remember getting a bad charge at the repair shop and having the card company stick us because we hadn't called for an authorization #. Gee - (blink blink) how can the card companies manage to eat all those bad charges? (blink blink)
Yes, the unauthorized charges get kicked back to the merchant who accepted the card or card number. When I was doing fraud investigations I talked with a rep from Visa who said that their fraud losses were less than one half of one per cent of their profits. (Not gross, but their profits. This about 12 years ago.) Basically, their electric bill was bigger, so they didn't get too upset about it.

That's why the online companies often will refuse to ship to anywhere other than the cc billing address. For the folks concerned about privacy, the cc company will not tell the merchant your address, they will only confirm that the address provided is/is not the billing address.

The software they use now to track cc spending patterns is in some cases an adaptation of software initially developed to track incoming missiles! (Sort of "swords into plowshares"....) That according to a rep from one of the larger defense contractors.

DW had an unauthorized charge on her card once - a three-sentence letter made the charge go away.

If you read all the fine print on the back of the cc statement you'll find that the best way to dispute it is with a letter sent certified mail. That way there is no "plausible deniability" about a lost letter or forgotten phone call.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a couple of charges show up on one card that the CC company removed but didn't change the card number. Maybe that was some mistake that didn't worry them.

I did have my number stolen in India. The only thing I used that card for was a nice hotel. I used another card at all the more iffy looking places, all with no problem.

Anyway, the CC company detected the problem (phone card in Saudi Arabia or somewhere I wasn't), but also shut down my online access to the account. I was answering questions about which charges were vaild or not without being able to see a nice list online. That was a blow. They changed the number and restored access a few days later. I changed my password just in case.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, a few months back I got an e-mail from BOA. I was getting $100/pops of gas charged to 2 particular stations in Texas, and I do no live in Texas. All I can think of is they must have been filling up semi trucks - it was a lot of gas. (When gas was pricier).

We cancelled the card immediately - there was also a few cheap internet charges and a hotel room, I think.

The guy from BoA told me that probably some vendor I had used had this machine - where they swipe your card - you don't notice or are in a restaurant and don't see and they make a copy of it. So they have a whole new credit card for themselves.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've had unauthorized charges at least a dozen times, dating back a decade. Much of that was in Brazil on corporate diners cards
It's happened to me twice, including once in Brazil. That time, an unscrupulous merchant used an illegal swipe machine. The other time, it was a travel agent who treid to charge me twice for a corporate trip, and was subsequently jailed for fraud, partly based on my deposition. I have never had it happen online. In both cases, it was resolved quickly and to my satisfaction.

In the past two years, my credit card company has been getting very paranoid. I'll be abroad (say, in Paris) and discover, on checking out of my hotel, that my card has been declined. A call to the CCC is necessary. Just lately I was in the Middle East and called beforehand to let the CCC know, and it still was a problem. Luckily I was with someone who had a Blackberry and a quick call to Toronto unfroze my card. They analyze travel patterns, but I travel a lot, and I did tell them beforehand....
Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted no because I've never been burned, but once had a call from my cc company that someone was using the number to try to buy 3 $2,000 printers (back when laser printers were big bucks) over the internet - to be shipped to London (I live in Minnesota) They told me they had rejected the charge, and were sending me new cards.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear that this is a relatively routine thing. Thanks.

Quote:
DW may have purchased a knitting pattern on an unsecured web site, but I'm looking into that now.
I looked into it, and the site was indeed secure (a paypal storefront thing), so who knows where the cc number was acquired?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'd bet that this poll is a good example of the "self selected" error phenomenon.

I'd be surprised if half of the people really have had their CC# stolen. I think people who have are more likely to vote.

OTOH, since we would be talking stolen at anytime over your entire life, I suppose that raises the odds a bit.

I have had one apparently false charge - a small amount of $12.16 or something. The CC company removed the charge. The name was really odd, based in Norway or something, so that made it stand out. I'm tempted to think it was really the one-in-a-billion mistyped CC# that actually was valid and went through. I would think if it was really a scam, they would use a generic name in addition to the small, odd amount to try to fly under your radar.

So I voted no.

-ERD50