Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Ever Had Your Credit Card # Stolen?
Yes 109 55.05%
No 89 44.95%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Didn't lose the card, but someone used the number to buy a $900 IT correspondence course, which I'm sure they never finished--or at least not on my dime.

I do my best to use citibanks virtual numbers whenever I can.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since it has happened to me twice in just 3 years, I don't think it is uncommon at all to have your credit card number compromised.

I have also had the mysterious odd charge show up at least twice (different card). In each case, a web search on the company name revealed that a lot of people posted about discovering a mysterious charge from same company or two on their cards. In both cases I disputed online and the charge was removed with no questions asked.

Audrey

Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I've had similar problems in the past:
  • ATM card reissued in 1999 due to online bank security breach
  • credit card reissued in 2003 due to using a card at a gas station whose credit processing agent had their unencrypted customer data compromised
  • 1yr of free credit monitoring starting in 2008 due to Fidelity having an off-site archival service physically compromised.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #44

Yes, had it happen with Penfed card - they tried to call me when I was on a business trip - I found out after my card was denied.....found out later TJ Maxx had a fraudulent scanner or an employee who was harvesting the CC numbers - the trigger for the credit card company was two charges right after each other - a credit check charge and then a western union charge....had the card re-issued, etc. However, after that, my card would get denied regularly when I was traveling - they wanted me to call the card company *every* time I left to travel - uhhh, not bloody likely. After I got stranded in east Texas trying to fill my car with gas while driving back from Lackland AFB after being in a military school for 4 months, calling Penfed and having them lie to me about the card being stopped, I never used their credit card again. USAA allows me to travel and not freak out over it. I told them I travel a lot and they've noted that on my 'record' or something or other. No problems so far
Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

There are some new Pending charges that we did not make on our card. I'm hoping that these are from someone trying to use the old number, and that by tomorrow they will disappear (that happened a month or so ago).

If not it will be a major bother to deal with this while we are on our trip. Do you think they can overnight cards to a general delivery post office?

I sure hope it's a false alarm.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I know they will overnight cards. I have had them do this while out of the country. Depending on what card it is, you may be able to get a temporary backup at a local branch (AMEX, Chase, etc).
Old 05-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

What a pain! Just before a trip. When it happened last December to us, we had to use our debit card for Christmas. We'd gotten used to living one month in advance of the credit card bill, while building up air miles for our monthy gas, grocery, eating out expenses. Sheesh! Having to pay cash for a month was a real eye opener. It took a month for them to get us our replacement cards. Good luck, Al.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #48

I used to have a seperate card for autopay expenses, so that I wouldn't have to redo the autopay when I need a new card number every few years. But the hassle of dealing with an extra statement every month just didn't seem worth it. I also realized that it isn't the end of the world if an autopay doesn't go through once in a while; the companies that allow autopay are used to people forgetting to enter replacement cards they get. The company just contacts me and says the autopay didn't go through, I correct whatever needs to be corrected, and all is well.

Now I use a single credit card for absolutely everything, and I like the convenience of their end of the year expense categorization report.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There are some new Pending charges that we did not make on our card. I'm hoping that these are from someone trying to use the old number, and that by tomorrow they will disappear (that happened a month or so ago).

If not it will be a major bother to deal with this while we are on our trip. Do you think they can overnight cards to a general delivery post office?

I sure hope it's a false alarm.
Did you speak with the cc cos fraud dept?
My cc no. was used illegally a couple of days ago, fraud dept called me; canceled the card and is sending me a new card to the RV park where I'm staying - 2 day delivery - free. They were going to send it to my home adress. They also gave me the credit tracking companies to call and put a fraud alert on my account.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

It was fraud, and now I'm sitting in an Iowa Welcome Center trying to figure a way of getting the new card tomorrow (Monday is Memorial day). They'll send it overnight, but I need an address. We don't know what campground we're going to get a spot at yet. I'd send it to a BofA but they'll be closed. Any ideas?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I doubt they will be able to get it to you by tomorrow - they have to mfg. it - then you might have to sign for it - if you miss the mail person you will need to go to the post office.
Best bet the BofA closest to where you will be for a couple of days.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

That's what I would have thought, too, but we are at a motel right now, and BofA said it would arrive tomorrow morning. We'll see.

Where are you now, Dex?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

If BofA said so, it should work. I'm sure they have to deal with this all the time.

Audrey
Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #54

No, never had my cc stolen. However, Penfed is fast on locking out your card if you don't tell them you are going on vacation. Last time on vacation they did just that. Had to go through the process of talking with their fraud department.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I would have thought, too, but we are at a motel right now, and BofA said it would arrive tomorrow morning. We'll see.

Where are you now, Dex?
I was told my new cc would arrive today - Fri - but I knew that couldn't happen. I only spoke with the fraud dept on Wed - about 6pm Colorado time. They would have to mfg it and then mail it. But, all and all the cc co. is doing a good job - Capitalone

Right now I'm in central Colorado - between Denver & Aspen.

I don't expect to get my card until Tuesday. The fraud dept called me this morning to confirm the RV park address. I received an email last night saying the card was sent.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #56

Quote:
It was fraud, and now I'm sitting in an Iowa Welcome Center trying to figure a way of getting the new card tomorrow (Monday is Memorial day). They'll send it overnight, but I need an address. We don't know what campground we're going to get a spot at yet. I'd send it to a BofA but they'll be closed. Any ideas?
Al, were they able to give you any info as to how the fraud happened? I'm curious if it was something that happened while you are on your trip, like if someone stole your number when you used it, or if it was grabbed from your computer when you were logged on to a public network.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #57

Been through this twice in the last nine months. Once on a trip, once not.
Credit card numbers go through a number of trusted processors on each transaction. OT a little but most of us should be able to remember when the entire card number was printed on the receipt. There are lots of opportunities for the criminals to accumulate card numbers. Many of these become known when the perp tries to use the card number and is not able to give other identifying information associated with the account, like cardholder's zip code or address or security code on the back of the card. Don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that many mom and pop merchants are using poorly secured wireless LANs, but can't say this could be a majority source for stealing card numbers.

Also suspect the card companies disclose as little information as possible about how they are detecting fraud. If they told everybody how they are detecting fraud that would give the criminals a leg up on their system. Part of security is not telling how the system works.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have set my credit card account to send me an email alert whenever a charge is made sans the physical card (such as any online or telephone merchandise order). This allows a quicker response to any funny business.

This week someone tried to use my cc number to order merchandise with two different merchants. I called one of the merchants and it appears that the orders didn't go through due to not having the security code from the back of the card but I don't know if every online merchant requires that.

The new credit card is coming in 5 - 7 business days. It's a hassle.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Yes, It is a hassle. For most of the autopay companies, changing the number is easy; it simply involves visiting a web site and changing it. For one or two, most notably Blue Cross, you have to call, confirm by mail, respond to several letters, and wait a billing cycle.

From now on, I'll use ShopSafe for all online purchases. I don't like it, because the Shopsafe number expire after a year, it's cumbersome to generate them, and I have to type in the numbers manually (rather than copy/paste). But it should do a good job of preventing this in the future.

I'm now sitting in the Econolodge office waiting for FedEx.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
I'm now sitting in the Econolodge office waiting for FedEx.
That sounds like a PITA. Maybe you can think of something fun to do in the local area, and come back later to see if the package arrived. Then if the package is late (hope it isn't), you can just stay an extra night there without ruining your trip.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote