Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Ever Had Your Credit Card # Stolen?
Yes 109 55.05%
No 89 44.95%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Now, how does that work? Can't the cops just show up and arrest the passenger??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
It depends how anxious the local cops are to go after CC fraud.
Not how it works everywhere.

About 15 years ago I was working as a criminal investigator for a medium size municipality and was assigned a case in which a woman left her purse atop her car in a shopping mall parking lot, drove away, purse fell off and credit card was taken, everything else recovered at "lost and found". Card was used at said mall and before the woman got home to get a call from the credit card company / realized her card was taken about $9,000.00 in electronics purchases had been made at stores with very good quality surveillance cameras. I had suspects identified and was ready to move forward on charges and property recovery in very short order. Felony case closures (due to the amount) as simple as this one are relatively few and far between and I was pretty happy to have one more of those to add to my "stats" for the month.

As the charges are removed from the card-holders balance, they are not the victim, but rather the card issuing bank and not Visa or Mastercard are ultimately the victim suffering the loss in the case. In order to file charges I have to list a victim and contact for any court proceedings. Just by dumb luck, the credit card issuing bank maintained a LARGE facility in our jurisdiction and I promptly contacted loss prevention representatives from the bank about the case.

The banks response? Dont bother with the case anymore, we will just write-off the loss. Perhaps they dont understand, I just need someone who works for the company to be able to show up for court, I'll settle for a janitor (seriously), just someone who can show up in court to basically say they represent the bank, I have everything else covered. They wanted absolutely no part of prosecuting the theives for such a "miniscule amount" as $9,000.00 (again, this was about 15 years ago).

I often wondered what amount they deemed worth their time pursuing ref: charges / prosecution.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today I got a letter from HSBC. It said...We have been notified that your Account may have been comprimised. In response to this notification, and to avoid potential unauthorized use of your Account, we have issued you a new Account number and credit card.

I checked my account on-line and didn't see anything fraudulent. Then, I called them to make sure the letter I got really did come from them. It did. The rep said she didn't have any additional info to give me, but I would receive new cards in the mail and should destroy the old ones once I receive them.

I know they are looking out after my/their interest, but I sure would like to know what happened.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Never had any stolen cards or fraudulent charges on any of my cards. I shop a lot (we use our cards for all purchases to track spending to the penny), travel a lot and internet purchases are SOP for me. I have never taken any extraordinary measures on the internet but I am watchful when handing the card over to waiters and store clerks. Guess I have just been lucky.

2fer
Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I checked my account on-line and didn't see anything fraudulent. Then, I called them to make sure the letter I got really did come from them. It did. The rep said she didn't have any additional info to give me, but I would receive new cards in the mail and should destroy the old ones once I receive them.

I know they are looking out after my/their interest, but I sure would like to know what happened.
Usually when this happens it's because there was a security breach on a secure site where your credit card info may have been on file (these are the ones the hacker may have been able to access). When a site like this is hacked, the list of affected credit card numbers is furnished to the issuing credit card companies. And if your card number was on it, chances are the issuer will pre-emptively invalidate this card number and send you a replacement with a new number in a few days.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Hey...thanks Ziggy. That makes sense.

I'm glad to know they are taking care of me....'cause I sure need it.....
Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #66

I lost my card one time while on vacation and it was a real pain as I had to cancel it. Since then I have always kept 2 cards - kept in different places even when traveling in case something similar happens again.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago, we were charged for a box of 144 condoms, sent to an address in Miami.

Since the purchaser hadn't even had the grace to invite us to the party, we declined to pay.

There were no other oddball charges, but we asked for a new card number anyway.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Some years ago, we were charged for a box of 144 condoms, sent to an address in Miami.

Since the purchaser hadn't even had the grace to invite us to the party, we declined to pay.
Spoil sports......

Hmm, I don't think I would want to go to a party knowing 144 condoms were there..

Of course if they gave them out as party favors....
Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #69

Quote:
Hmm, I don't think I would want to go to a party knowing 144 condoms were there..

I remember buying a condom as teenager from a machine in a men's restroom and hopefully carried to every party I went to. Eventually I threw it away when it was well past its sell-by date.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I remember buying a condom as teenager from a machine in a men's restroom and hopefully carried to every party I went to. Eventually I threw it away when it was well past its sell-by date.
They have sell by/expiration dates? Uh oh.....
Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #71

Quote:
They have sell by/expiration dates? Uh oh.....
They certainly do

What's the similarity between a condom and a financial institution?

...... one prick and you're scr**ed....
Old 05-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am watchful when handing the card over to waiters and store clerks.
What is it that you watch for?

I've now returned home and changed my credit card numbers for Blue Cross, Paypal, Amazon, AT&T, Kallcents, Gasoline cardlock, and the propane company.

All could be changed with a few minutes work online except for Blue Cross. BC says that by law they must have a signed affidavit before taking money from your account, so you have to call, have them send you something, etc, and pay a paper bill in the meantime.

From now on I only use the shopsafe virtual cards for online transactions. I hadn't done this after the first fraud since it is significantly less convenient. The shopsafe numbers expire after only one year, and you can't copy and paste the numbers.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I answered no. Lucky I guess.
I only have 2 credit cards in my name, and 1 jointly with dh2b.
I periodically go through and cancel those 1 or 2 low credit limit retail cards (get a discount on today's purchase type) that I have signed up for.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I just watch the employee with it in his or her hand at the stores, that they do not write anything down or copy it. At restaurants, I try to keep an eye on them, letting them know that I am watching and make sure that I am aware of how long the card is out of my sight but it is not always possible. I have been lucky for sure.
2fer
Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just got all new VISA bank debit cards in the mail along with a letter that said that our bank "discovered a security issue with Heartland Payment Services which may have compromised certain check card information - including your Visa check card number."

We haven't had any questionable transactions. This is a big bother because this is the account that I use for all kinds of online payments and automatic payments. Going back through the checking account register for the last 6 months I've come up with the list of places where I have to change the info, like eBay, PayPal, Amazon, Ticketmaster, USPS, Half.com, Alltel. I'm sure more will need to be changed.

I looked up Heartland Payment Services and this security breach happened in January, 2009. Odd that they waited this long to take action on our bank cards. I guess were lucky that we had no problems.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just watch the employee with it in his or her hand at the stores, that they do not write anything down or copy it.
Yeah, but at a restaurant, the waiter takes the card away, and you don't see anything for a while.

It would be smart if the shopsafe numbers weren't cancelled if the card number is compromised. Then, you could use those for your recurring payments, and they'd continue to be valid even if your card were cancelled.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #78

Not saying that card numbers are not stolen one-by-one by nefarious merchants, as some surely are. I would suggest that the majority are stolen in places like HeartLand mentioned by Sue.

January 20, 2009:
Security Fix - Payment Processor Breach May Be Largest Ever
"Heartland's president and chief financial officer, said the company, which processes payments for more than 250,000 businesses, " . . .

"Baldwin said 40 percent of transactions the company processes are from small to mid-sized restaurants across the country. "

And:
Heartland data breach damages still mounting
"On Feb. 10, Florida police arrested three men allegedly involved in the data breach. According to the Leon County Sheriff's Office, . . ."

"The men are believed to be end users of the stolen goods, not the masterminds. "This incident may be the result of a widespread global cyberfraud operation," says Heartland . . .".
Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #79

My credit card was compromised again last week. I noticed some adjustments to my online transactions on Saturday, and then found a new cc listed on my account Sunday morning.

I called Monday morning and the Credit union said that a 'number' of Visa cards were compromised and as a precaution they were monitoring the transactions, issuing new cards and transferring all the charges to the new cc.

This Credit Union is either unusually proactive or unusually careless with their Visa info since this is the 3rd time they've closed a Visa card and issued another one for me. At this rate I'll never have a card expire since they always get compromised before they expire.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep; three times in ~20 years (the A/C # was taken, not the card itself).

#1. It's evening. Phone rings. BofA calling to speak with DW re her credit card. Cautiously, she talks to them. "Did you purchase ~$500 of electronic equipt in Sandy Eggo earlier today?" "Nope, I'm in NYS, far away from Sandy Eggo." "Okay, we'll remove the charge from your account and send you a new credit card with a new number. Do not use your old card again." "Roger, out." New card arrived in 2-3 days, and life proceeded.

#2. 'nother evening, roughly five years later - same call from BofA. "Did you purchase gas at XXXYYYZZ station in California approximately an hour ago?" "Nope; I'm still in NYS, and not near there." "Okay, we did not think this fit with your purchasing pattern, since you usually buy gasoline in the morning." These people are really good if they know WHEN she buys gas. "New card will be sent, do not use the old card, yada yada."

#3. USAA proactively sends us an email in March of '09, stating that one of their east coast processors had been hacked, and USAA was reissuing new accounts numbers to avoid future member problems. Cautiously, called them to verify, and found out that they were reissuing beaucoup cards just to avoid having members' accounts compromised (yet another reason I'm addicted to USAA). The new card arrived in approx 2 weeks, but it took over a month to shift all of our payments to an interim card, then back to the new card.

IMO, the card issuers seem to be all over fraud, at least from their customers' end of the transaction. It's a cost of doing business for them, with none of the nervousness we cardholers feel when it happens to us.