Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Ever Had Your Credit Card # Stolen?
Yes 109 55.05%
No 89 44.95%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Voted "no" but just remembered I had a fraudulent charge from a middle eastern country ... called and had it removed. Phishing maybe; or just a key-in error ... who knows?

Quote:

About a year later the thief was convicted of three felony counts. The thief now sits in jail.
This is reassuring. Back when I had a property manager, she had a handyman who stole a blank check from her business checkbook. Disappeared with a few K. Then reappeared in town ... vacation maybe? A year later the guy is still walking the streets. Not enough being done to prosecute "white collar" crimes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #102
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
From some of the descriptions of the charges your various cards were used for, it would seem relatively easy to track down the culprits. (Not suggesting YOU should do this, but the credit card co. w/law enforcement). My understanding is that most credit card companies don't actually worry much about fraudulent charges. They simply write them off and pass the total cost on to all credit card users (well, those who actually pay interest, heh, heh.)
The bank does not write the charges off, they charge them back to the merchant.
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Audrey, Linney and all the other female victims of credit card fraud and identity theft this post is for you.

I get to see the other side of identity theft...the person who is stealing the identities!

I got a neighbor who lives real close to me that forges bonds and steals peoples identities and sets up credit cards in other peoples names. She has been doing this for years. She gets caught and nothing is done and then she goes back to doing it again.

Last I heard a while back she was federally indicted on a whole bunch of charges that carry a prison term of 20 years.

I can't know this part for sure but one of my neighbors told me that all of her victims are elderly women.

Guess what? She has never spent one day in jail!

What the media does not tell you is 93%+ of all people incarcerated in the U.S. are male. Women are let off with nothing almost always...even for murder.

This is why you are having so much of this stuff going on.

On the news they devote 1/5 of the broadcast to a guy that stole $1,000 from a bank. He will go to prison. My neighbor probably stole at least 100 times that and never spent one day in jail.

Until the media and society acutally hold criminals responsable regardless of thier gender this stuff will continue.

My advice is if you are female to really go out of your way to protect your identity and credit card info and anything else that can be stolen. Because if another woman steals your identity and rips you off for every penny you have you can expect to see her not held accountable for any of it. And then go on to do it again to someone else.

And also if you get to meet one of these people who have a hobby of ripping people off like this they are really rotten. And in my neighbors case it's one of many crooked and illegal things she does.

I hope everything works out for everyone that has had their identity stolen.

What might help is if the media stopped kissing up to what is politically correct and showed some of the women who had thousands stolen from them and might have lost their house or job or life savings. Then show the female criminal that ripped them off out walking the streets not held accountable for any of it!

I think we can dream of that day though!

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #104

Here is an update on the subject:
Gov't: Man tried to steal 130M credit card numbers - Yahoo! News

The article describes some of the tactics and also has some pretty astounding numbers. Wardriving and sniffers.

"Restaurants are among the most common targets for hackers, experts said, because they often fail to update their antivirus software and other computer security systems."
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I need to get a moderator to change my vote from no to yes. We just discovered our business Discover Card number has been stolen. A bunch of charges have apppeared since the last statement date, all to online sites like i-Tunes, Netflix, Hulu, and some I wasn't familiar with - Jewelmint, Beautymint, and Stylemint. Those last result in physical deliveries, and hopefully will lead to the miscreant getting busted. Assuming Discovercard follows through.

And assuming I ever get to report this. This is the part that's really pissing me off! I've been trying to call the security number all day. I get put on hold, told to stay on the line for the next representative, and then at approximately the 20 minute mark I get "mysteriously" hung up on. I did at least get through to a rep on the online chat, who assured me the card number has been deactivated, so the theft should stop. But I still have to report it to the fraud department. So far my call has been dumped 5 times, all between 19:53 and 21:17 minutes. Obviously there's some kind of metric being tracked as to how many calls make it past some magic number (20 minutes maybe?), and as with all Quality Management systems the result is the unintended consequence that the reps just dump the call before it gets marked against them. I'm at 17:30 on the most recent call.

The worst part is that I made use of the "Secure email to the VP of Customer Service" feature on the website and typed up a stern but curseword-free email explaining the problem. Then when I hit "send" I got a message saying there was a technical problem with the system, and to try again later.

I've been a Discover fan for a long time, and have gotten a ton of rewards points out of them. I will continue to use them, but I must say this is a very frustrating process. Makes me wonder if they have had some major breach that they are dealing with that hasn't been announced yet. Dammit! 20:58 and I just got dumped again!

Oh well, I know I'm not responsible for the charges, and they'll assign me a new number. This is the slow time for my business, so I probably won't need the card anytime soon. I'm just going to calm down, have a couple of drinks, and maybe call back sometime in the middle of the night when it might not be so busy. Or wait until Monday morning. Maybe they only have one Peggy working security and fraud on the weekend.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

How awful! I am so sorry to hear this, Harley. Situations like this drive me nuts - - almost more from the malfunctioning reporting system, than from the original crime. I would imagine you won't have to pay for the the purchases in question, so that's a comfort.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Bummer. I've had pretty much only good experiences with Discover. In fact, why my cc number got stolen it was them who flagged it first and called me.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #108
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your troubles Harley. It's bad enough to have had your card # stolen but to be unable to report it is just awful.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Makes me wonder if they have had some major breach that they are dealing with that hasn't been announced yet
There is a breach at a processor. This one is big.

Visa, Mastercard processor acknowledges security breach
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster1 View Post
The bank does not write the charges off, they charge them back to the merchant.
This is not necessarily true.

Smaller amount transactions are written of by the card issuer.

If a merchant gets a proper authorization, they may not be liable for the transaction in a point of sale (face to face) transaction.

Card issuers carry fraud insurance to cover massive fraud.

Most non fraud dispute transactions are charged back to the merchant, though.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
There is a breach at a processor. This one is big.

Visa, Mastercard processor acknowledges security breach
I knew about this one, but we're Discover.

I finally got through on a different number I found online. Turns out there's a bunch of charges that weren't showing up on the online Recent Activity list, including a $3000+ charge to StubHub.com. The way we found out about this is because we received a package of make-up in the mail today. I assume whoever was stealing accidently allowed the Ship To address to be the same as the Bill To address. I've done that myself when ordering for a customer. When DW called the vendor to figure it out I got online to check the account and found all the bogus charges. So the Fraud Alert process didn't happen for us.

But no problem with the charges, once I finally got it reported. I used to work on these issues all the time, when I was a Network Security person. I used to interact with cops like Walt34 a lot, so I wasn't worried about being responsible for the charges. Guess I better run some credit reports and make sure it isn't a bigger problem that I think, though. I hope they get the person. Shouldn't be too hard with all the physical shipments that were made. I'll never know, though.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #112

Sorry to hear about your stolen card issues. In my experience, Discover had been good long ago but is now a company in trouble, headed downhill. Due to abusive problems I had to cancel them.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I knew about this one, but we're Discover.

I finally got through on a different number I found online. Turns out there's a bunch of charges that weren't showing up on the online Recent Activity list, including a $3000+ charge to StubHub.com. The way we found out about this is because we received a package of make-up in the mail today. I assume whoever was stealing accidently allowed the Ship To address to be the same as the Bill To address. I've done that myself when ordering for a customer. When DW called the vendor to figure it out I got online to check the account and found all the bogus charges. So the Fraud Alert process didn't happen for us.

But no problem with the charges, once I finally got it reported. I used to work on these issues all the time, when I was a Network Security person. I used to interact with cops like Walt34 a lot, so I wasn't worried about being responsible for the charges. Guess I better run some credit reports and make sure it isn't a bigger problem that I think, though. I hope they get the person. Shouldn't be too hard with all the physical shipments that were made. I'll never know, though.
That's good news that you got thru. Are they issuing new a new card?

Your issuer should be able to tell you if there was a breach or if you should be worried about ID theft. Most likely you are safe but it's not a bad idea to follow up.

From what I heard it's not worth the time and effort to track these criminals down. I think this would be a interesting job, though.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, a new card is on the way. I'll be hearing from the fraud investigators on Monday. I did a few free credit reports on DW and I and everything looks good. It's interesting, after being FIREd for almost 6 years my credit report is getting pretty easy to read. A few cards, a mortgage, and that's about it. DW has a whole bunch of cards, mostly for individual stores, so hers is more of a pain to go through. Haven't gotten a credit score in a while. But when I tried (unsuccessfully) to refinance a couple years ago it was around 790, so hopefully it's still up there.

From my cop buddies it doesn't sound like doing the footwork for chasing down the crooks is too time consuming and unrewarding to be considered interesting.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Harley, do you have any theories on how your cc number got stolen? Online? Physical?

I remember when my cc number got stolen. By coincidence or not, I was scanning my computer and found a keylogger that same day when Discover called. Still I've never was certain how my cc number got taken. Yet, to be safe, I ended up having to change all my user ids and passwords to my accounts as if I had a keylogger, who knows what else might have been floating out there for the taking.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

It has to be online. I shredded the card as soon as we got it, and keep the information for it along with our other cards on a (backed up) encrypted thumb drive. We have physical cards for our personal use, but the business one is only for online purchases.

However, you make a good point. I do occasionally get a trojan or virus, like the Google Redirect trojan I was fighting a few weeks ago. I know the two aren't related because I haven't used the card since Feb and the trojan came later. But a general password change isn't a bad idea, especially anything financial. Sounds like something to keep me busy for a few nights while I'm watching TV. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

I also discovered that my Fidelity AMEX card number was stolen. The first fraudulent transaction happened on Wednesday, then two more transactions yesterday. The last two transactions are from Carters Retail Plano, supposedly a direct marketing company in Texas. I tried to google the name but came up empty. This the second time on this AMEX. No problem reporting fraud. Unfortunately, I am going on vacation tomorrow and will not have access to my AMEX card.

My Visa card number was stolen once. My debit card with its associated PIN was stolen once.

It is an inconvenience, several of my reservations for this trip were made wth my AMEX. Most of my subscriptions as well as online retailers are also charged to this account automatically.
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It has to be online. I shredded the card as soon as we got it, and keep the information for it along with our other cards on a (backed up) encrypted thumb drive. We have physical cards for our personal use, but the business one is only for online purchases.

However, you make a good point. I do occasionally get a trojan or virus, like the Google Redirect trojan I was fighting a few weeks ago. I know the two aren't related because I haven't used the card since Feb and the trojan came later. But a general password change isn't a bad idea, especially anything financial. Sounds like something to keep me busy for a few nights while I'm watching TV. Thanks.
Yeah..In my case, my mind was thinking worst case scenario. What if some keylogger had recorded my typing of my Vanguard and bank accounts. I pictured all my finances emptied out. As between the time I had the keylogger and when I discovered it, I had no idea how many accounts I had logged into while typing.

Luckily, the only account compromised was the Discover cc.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #119
Dryer sheet aficionado

Last year I discovered that someone had been using my credit card when I attempted to pay for gasoline at the pump and it was rejected. Called BOA and determined that in a one week period the suspects had charged over $ 31,000 on the account, mostly airline tickets. The suspects had gained access to my personal info and had changed my telephone contact info to reflect their number. When BOA attempted to call and confirm all the charges the suspects, claiming to be me, advised the charges were legit. It took several months to clean up the mess through their fraud department but I wasn't out any money.

Several months later I was hit again by the same suspects who contacted my bank and attempted to access my checking account. Luckily, I caught that one the same day it occurred before a loss was incurred. The whole experience has made me very sensitive to the identity theft issue and I have taken numerous steps to protect myself. I would encourage everyone to be careful and monitor your accounts closely!
akrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #120

I only use Discover virtual numbers for on the phone or online purchases. If Discover can't be used I use ATT Universal card virtual account numbers.