Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have You Ever Had Your Credit Card # Stolen?
Yes 109 55.05%
No 89 44.95%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Yes, similar to above. Occurred about 6 months ago. I got the phone call. "Did you purchase such and such from such and such in a different state". I reply No. "We thought not. It didn't fit your pattern." We didn't allow the transaction(s) to process. I was told I'd need to cancel the card and get a new one. However when I called the credit union, they were already aware and in process of doing same.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I answered no to this poll a little while ago and to my surprise I received an email from BofA about my card being subject to fraud. Of course I suspected that the email was a fraud trying to get my details but when I logged into my account and checked the transaction in question it was fraudulent activity. They have already locked the card and a new one is on the way.

Have to say they are good at detecting unusual patterns as the amount involved was only $40 from Computicket.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Have to say they are good at detecting unusual patterns as the amount involved was only $40 from Computicket.
Both times I have gone to Japan, and on several other trips, I have made a phone call to say "those charges are going to happen."

It saves being on the phone in Kyoto, identifying one's paternal grandmother...

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
Both times I have gone to Japan, and on several other trips, I have made a phone call to say "those charges are going to happen."

ta,
mews
That's a good tip. I got a call from my credit card company when I bought some stuff that was way over my LBYM habits. Big Brother works at Visa but somehow I don't care that so much info about me is out there.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yeah, but at a restaurant, the waiter takes the card away, and you don't see anything for a while.
Many restaurants now bring a mobile device to your table. And they are marketing it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post

ta,
mews
I have had my credit card rejected in Paris (not really an out of the way place for me) and so I resolved to phone them before any unusual trips. So I phoned them before visiting Saudi Arabia, but still had a hold put on my CC after registering at my hotel. I found myself unable to purchase gold in the souk. Luckily I was with a colleague who had a Blackberry and a quick phone call to Toronto enabled retail therapy to continue!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

OK - here we go again. This is 3 times in 4 years!

But this time was different: I didn't get a call from BofA notifying me of suspicious behavior and wanting to verify charges. I didn't get an email notifying of same. This time the account was simply closed and new cards issued.

I didn't find out about it until about a week later when our cards were declined. I checked on-line and couldn't figure out any problem. Then later I noticed that the card number on-line had changed. But other vendors still accepted our old number for a while.

During this time period I was out of cell phone range most of the time so it was difficult to figure out what was going on. Just finally talked to the bank today.

Well, it turns out that our card was part of a MASSIVE COMPROMISE and so letters were sent out and cards automatically reissued and mailed. No other notification. Next time I get my mail forwarded to me I'll get all this stuff.

We carry a "backup" VISA for just this purpose. Switched to if a few days ago. Now we just wait for the new cards to catch up with us.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

That sounds even worse -- to have it declined and not even know why.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Well, it didn't freak us out as we have become inured to funny business with credit cards. And I knew all I needed to do was call the bank (once I could get a cell signal) and find out what was happening. In the meantime we had cash and alternate cards to take care of us.

But this was interesting. Looking back at the history, according to the statement they did the switch of card numbers on 5/27. They mailed out new cards on 6/1. Equifax (credit watch) notified of account status change to "stolen or lost card" on 6/8, and 6/7 was the first time we got a "decline" on the card. Maybe BofA gave folks a week to get new cards before declining. But we were able to use the card at several other locations (when we didn't see anything obvious looking at our accounts on line we thought the lodge had just had some kind of "glitch") until 6/12 before we got another decline, at which time we decided to put the card away and call the bank.

Just minutiae, but I find it interesting. I pretty much view our BofA VISA as a "temporary" card that can get yanked at any time. Since we are always traveling and always have our mail forwarded it's always a hassle getting a new card, so we just have backup plans in place at all times.

But BofA is really good at spotting and notifying of individual card issues. Until we had them put a notice of "always traveling" on our account, they would decline and call us immediately if we made a large charge in a new area. 5 seconds after we swiped the card buying Dad his new fancy Panasonic wide-screen HDTV they called us to verify it was us buying it. So we're pretty laid back about the whole thing and just treat it as part of the "cost" of the convenience of using credit cards.

To repeat our strategy for "seamless" transition on (inevitable) credit card failure:
  • BofA VISA (with cash rewards) - used for most purchases, in person and on-line. This is the card that is expected to be compromised eventually.
  • American Express - used for automatic payment of some recurring monthly bills (like satellite TV) and a couple of very highly trusted vendors (Apple, Amazon). Otherwise never used. Basically we try to keep this card quarantined from compromise.
  • Alternate VISA card, normally stored in the firesafe in motorhome and only used when something happens to the BofA VISA. We've had this card forever and they never try to close this account even if we don't use it for years. No annual fee. Works perfect for a backup.
  • Some cash in the firesafe for extreme emergencies. This is really there for natural disaster/infrastructure shut-down type emergencies but available for anything, obviously.

Audrey
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Well, after my long post above, yesterday I got a temporary hold on our backup VISA. They were concerned that the card was in use after having been inactive for over a year. I'm sure it was the $300 charge at Whole Foods Market that set the alarm bells ringing. VISA Fraud line called me at the same time I was calling them! Went over all the charges for the past several days. Everything OK. Card back on.

Funny thing is.... last two times the card had been inactive for 2 years before we suddenly started using it. No calls, no problems. Maybe we just didn't have any big charges back then, or maybe they've gotten more careful.....

Audrey
Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
... $300 charge at Whole Foods Market that set the alarm bells ringing. VISA Fraud...
$300 at Whole Foods does sound like fraud!

That would fill up two huge carts at the superwalmart... how many carts is that at whole foods?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #92
Administrator

Quote:
Well, after my long post above, yesterday I got a temporary hold on our backup VISA. They were concerned that the card was in use after having been inactive for over a year. I'm sure it was the $300 charge at Whole Foods Market that set the alarm bells ringing. VISA Fraud line called me at the same time I was calling them! Went over all the charges for the past several days. Everything OK. Card back on.

Funny thing is.... last two times the card had been inactive for 2 years before we suddenly started using it. No calls, no problems. Maybe we just didn't have any big charges back then, or maybe they've gotten more careful.....

Audrey
Hmmm. I just got off the phone with USAA for my MC. They declined the charge for the 5th time in 2 years, all at the the same Whole Foods Market, where DW shops regularly and spends similar (large) amounts. Each time they cited fraud prevention. This time I got up to the executive office complaint folks, and after 3 days of back and forth and "research" on their part they said - "Sorry. It's the fraud dept, they won't back off and won't provide details".
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
$300 at Whole Foods does sound like fraud!

That would fill up two huge carts at the superwalmart... how many carts is that at whole foods?
One full regular cart! LOL!

Well, there was wine, and cheese, and very nice lamb, and whatever.... You know how it goes.... We only get to hit up a Whole Foods Market about once a quarter so we tend to go a little crazy. And considering we used to live where Whole Foods is headquartered (Austin, TX) we were spoiled for many years having one only 5 miles away.

Audrey
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One full regular cart! LOL!

Well, there was wine, and cheese, and very nice lamb, and whatever.... You know how it goes.... We only get to hit up a Whole Foods Market about once a quarter so we tend to go a little crazy. And considering we used to live where Whole Foods is headquartered (Austin, TX) we were spoiled for many years having one only 5 miles away.
I feel the pain. This weekend's Trader Joe's run was $80 and that only bought a half cart's worth (and their carts are tiny). Microbrew beer, wine, imported cheeses, hummus, capers, naan, scallops, edamame, etc aren't cheap after all. We only hit up TJ's about once or twice a quarter though.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #95
Administrator

I had voted 'no' on the poll, but it just happened to us today (a Sunday afternoon). Got a call from Penfed to tell us that 3 attempts to purchase over $400 worth of goods/services from Sprint Wireless had just been rejected. They checked the other 2 purchases we had made today to confirm they were valid and then cancelled the card and are sending us a new one.

I'm pleased that they are so vigilant, but it is a real pain as I have about a dozen automatic payments on that card I'll need to update
Old 06-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is it just me, or does it seem that the frequency of these events has dramatically increased over, say, the last 12 or 18 months?
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem that the frequency of these events has dramatically increased over, say, the last 12 or 18 months?
I wonder, since the once every 2 years event has now become an annual event for me.

Audrey
Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Quote:
I wonder, since the once every 2 years event has now become an annual event for me.
Same here -- having our credit card number stolen has gone from "wow, it finally happened to us" to "again? has it even been a year since the last time?"

Too bad. I really liked the idea of setting up all of our account to be paid by credit card. But for now I think I'd better stick with the Online Bill Payer through my credit union because re-directing payments to a new card each year would be a huge hassle.

--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
No. . . . .
Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

No. . . . .

. . . . . but my eldest daughter had hers stolen. She contacted the card company and discovered that the thief had started immediately making purchases. The first purchase was at a gas station with closed circuit TV cameras trained on the pumps. 48 hours later the thief was arrested. About a year later the thief was convicted of three felony counts. The thief now sits in jail.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

It just ahppened to me

I got a call from BoA fraud watch on Saurday, and sure enough there were two transactions that were not ours. Getting new card tomorrow then we have to fgo thru the same routine notifying others of new card number. What a PITA.
Larry