Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been studying all aspects of it for three years before I retired at 64. It is no longer considered early, when I quit. Although I think we'll be OK, can't predict the future. Another 10 years and it's 74, so I may have a lesser time horizon than some here. I concentrate on exercises daily, and study of investments. I consider these core pursuits, plus other hobbies, I am not bored. We are also adaptable and will consume less if need be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I worked with a guy who failed twice. The first failure was caused when he tried to start his own business around 55 years old. The second seems to be related to a second wife. He is around 70 years old.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
He made two major retirement mistakes. 1)attempting to start a business and 2)getting married. Both are things which can work out very well, but which also are marinated in risk.

Ha
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I went to my eye doctor recently. During the exam the topic of my retirement came up. He said, no way would he want to retire. Not for financial reasons but he likes to keep busy. So, as I was picking out the new frames for my glasses, his assistant taking the order goes "So, I heard you're retired and bored." I went, "I am retired, but who said anything about being bored?" ...Funny how folks fill in the blanks.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Good to know! I guess I'd better stay engaged here...
Could be.

OTOH, I've known many people that thought they had achieved financial independence but have since have struggled. Here we view our situations as the result of choices we have made, and that others could make. Yet, as time passes, I think we all have some unique characteristic that most others don't have, and it is this that enables us to make these choices.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

My scariest failure: dying or feeble with a big pot left over, and having missed out on all the things that could have been.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa bear View Post
Spending the better part of the last 5 years at a staffing agency, I ran into a lot of stories from people who went back to work. There was every story imaginable and most of them were because they got bored and needed to get out of the house.
Around here, I can see the "getting bored" happening more often than running out of money given the high level of planning and factors of safety applied by the average poster.

Quote:
However, one particular story stands out most. I was interviewing a man in his mid 50's who had retired in his mid 30's with a real estate portfolio. He made it through 20 years of retirement but he came upon hard times. If I recall correctly, the recession hit him hard and his real estate holdings were in a particularly bad area that saw major declines (not all from the downturn but because of the area turning lower socio-economic which affected his rents).

He came to our organization looking for temp work in his previous industry. However, being 20 years out of the workforce, he was basically unemployable for anything over 12/hour. He knew that his cash was running short and he was being preemptive in finding additional cash flows.
That's one reason why I've shied away from real estate. I might end up doing really well, or find out that in 20 years I've bought in a neighborhood/city/state that's stuck in an economic death spiral.

And that $12/hr might be me in 20 years too. Luckily, that would cover a significant portion of our early retirement budget, so the worst case of running out of money doesn't strike me as particularly bad.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
My scariest failure: dying or feeble with a big pot left over, and having missed out on all the things that could have been.
Scarier than running out of money? Not me. I'd like to 'die broke' but that's not possible short of annuitizing everything, and that's not without risk. I'd much rather leave something on the table vs coming up (way) short...YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Scarier than running out of money? Not me. I'd like to 'die broke' but that's not possible short of annuitizing everything, and that's not without risk. I'd much rather leave something on the table vs coming up (way) short...YMMV
You make a very good point, and if I were a very young retiree that would be my main worry. But money isn't everything, and after you're dead it isn't anything. I did put some thought into the comment. I think it would be pretty hard for me to actually "run out of money", with my paid off house, no debts, and SS enough to sustain me if I really had nothing else. I might have to cut back a lot, and would certainly do that long before running out. I do fear a big crash that would not let me do all I want but it is not what I fear most.

Having just been to my high school reunion planning meeting, it is scary how many of my old friends have passed away, some once vibrant ones now sickly and confined to wheelchairs. It would be very easy for me to be so frugal as to not want to spend anything. Live on the bare minimum until I am too old and feeble to do anything. So actually I find it harder for me to spend money, and take on the adventures that I would enjoy and that might benefit others.

It is very easy to put off things, and keep putting off until it is too late. On the selfish side we have a lot of travel we want to do, old friends and relatives we want to spend time with, and new things we want to do and to learn. On the less selfish (okay still selfish but in a different way) we will helping to start a school in a 3rd world country, try to be friendlier to people, neighbors). It is easy for me to procrastinate and just watch my portfolio grow (or decline whatever it wants to do), but in some ways it is harder to realize the reality that procrastination has a cost too. So if things get bad, we will cut back, way back, we wont run out of money. But eventually we WILL run out of time. So until then I will try to force myself to think less about the portfolio and more about the maximizing the time remaining. But hey, I will still spend under 4%, just in case I stay healthy and live a long time, and let the good times roll on, if it is in the cards.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

So, I know of two instances that qualify as examples for the OP's question.

1. Husband and Wife that had more than enough to live out their lives comfortably, but could not dial down the lifestyle along with giving their kids to much assistance too early. They ended up living with one of their kids, using SS and needing their kids to kick money back in to help pay their bills. They are happy and the money the kids are giving back pales in comparison to what those kids were originally given. Bottom line, it will all work out OK

2. Husband and Wife who retired early with adequate but not inordinate wealth. Ironically, they both had in-depth discussions about life in retirement but when it actually happened, Wife reverted to a part time job for the social life and husband found himself going stir crazy, so he found a new career that was contract based which would give him flexibility in his schedule. Turns out the money they have made over the years has been used for both shoring up the nest egg in market down turns and "mad money" when things are good. Bottom Line, they are working because they did not have the same lifetime goals, but they seem happy and things will be fine.

My take away is similar to others in this thread. Early retirement has many positives but it's not for everyone. Clearly, having adequate funds and keeping your fixed costs low puts most retiree's in a good place for the long term. The real challenge is having a social and active life while keeping discretionary spending in check for the long haul. That being said, I have jumped into a small contract job and have another one being presented to me. I am doing it for the mental and social aspects. Now, the question is can I balance my work schedule with my new semi-retirement life schedule such that I will want to stay with it.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired 4 months ago ( 64 yrs), with adequate savings and pension. I also had three years to study the plan including all the possible setbacks. The most important point is to be healthy(both you and significant other). We will then have the time and freedom to do whatever. We also set up daily schedules and core pursuits, and most does not include buying expensive stuff. We are just happy experiencing things without constraints of work. We see ourselves busy planning activities one after another.
We are also willing to compromise and adjust expenses depending on the market.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

You could conceivably call me a failure. I bailed in January and started a contract gig two weeks ago. I was not looking for it, but it fell in my lap and since I knew I might be on the light side when I quit I would probably be better off if I found some sort of income over the first 5 to 10 years after quitting. I am trying hard not to let the paid work interfere with my chosen lifestyle too much and the contract is supposed to be done after a year. Of course, I got a call today from someone else dying to hire me as a consultant (I think I am legally prohibited from helping them until I have been out of the job for a year), so I could conceivably be working more after I quit my job than before.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
All the people I know who successfully retired early are on this forum. The ones I know in the physical world who retired early were all unsuccessful and either went back to work or were forced to reduce their standard of living.

Where I worked (abroad) it was common for people to leave work with large lump sums. They all had lofty dreams, yet almost all burned through the cash and in short time were back looking for work.
This is very interesting. I know people who retired early and stayed retired, but they are mostly hereditary rich. One other guy, my former roommate, retired from a lucrative orthopedic practice at age 60 with $10+mm, and he and his new wife, another doctor's widow, spend very freely and have no worries. He had no divorce, but stayed single until relatively late in life.

What many of us do or at least attempt to do here is harder. Retire from very early to early on middle class amounts of money, often with children.

Looking back I took wild risks, but was too dumb to realize it. The force was with me, which had nothing to do with me or my "plan" or anything else even semi-rational.

Ha
Old 10-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
So, I know of two instances that qualify as examples for the OP's question.

1. Husband and Wife that had more than enough to live out their lives comfortably, but could not dial down the lifestyle along with giving their kids to much assistance too early. They ended up living with one of their kids, using SS and needing their kids to kick money back in to help pay their bills. They are happy and the money the kids are giving back pales in comparison to what those kids were originally given. Bottom line, it will all work out OK.
Thanks for that example. Spending more than you should and economic outpatient care for your kids can definitely kill the financial ER plans. Good to hear they have a roof over their heads and that they will be okay.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You could conceivably call me a failure. I bailed in January and started a contract gig two weeks ago. I was not looking for it, but it fell in my lap and since I knew I might be on the light side when I quit I would probably be better off if I found some sort of income over the first 5 to 10 years after quitting. I am trying hard not to let the paid work interfere with my chosen lifestyle too much and the contract is supposed to be done after a year. Of course, I got a call today from someone else dying to hire me as a consultant (I think I am legally prohibited from helping them until I have been out of the job for a year), so I could conceivably be working more after I quit my job than before.
Brewer, would you say you went back to work for "financial reasons" meaning at least 75% of the reason for returning to work was the need or want of more cash? I assume the position fills other purposes in your life (intellectual stimulation?).

I would certainly be tempted if an old colleague approached me and offered me a full time job (or contract job) that fit well and paid well. I did have two freelance gigs fall in my lap and I pursued both of them and named prices I thought were much higher than what would be accepted. One job kind of fizzled out after a few engagements, the other is still going strong (at 4-8 hrs/month). I'm not sure if I would say 75%+ of the reason is for more money though. Maybe 50%.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Brewer, would you say you went back to work for "financial reasons" meaning at least 75% of the reason for returning to work was the need or want of more cash? I assume the position fills other purposes in your life (intellectual stimulation?).

I would certainly be tempted if an old colleague approached me and offered me a full time job (or contract job) that fit well and paid well. I did have two freelance gigs fall in my lap and I pursued both of them and named prices I thought were much higher than what would be accepted. One job kind of fizzled out after a few engagements, the other is still going strong (at 4-8 hrs/month). I'm not sure if I would say 75%+ of the reason is for more money though. Maybe 50%.
I dunno. My plan assumed that I would be generating some income during the first 5 to 10 years of chucking the cube job, it just happened to turn up sooner than I expected. Would I be doing this if it did not pay well? Nope.

- George Orwell

Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I dunno. My plan assumed that I would be generating some income during the first 5 to 10 years of chucking the cube job, it just happened to turn up sooner than I expected. Would I be doing this if it did not pay well? Nope.
Gotcha. I'd say you didn't fail at all but rather had planned on some income initially. You just got the timing fortuitously wrong.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Gotcha. I'd say you didn't fail at all but rather had planned on some income initially. You just got the timing fortuitously wrong.
Its not a bad gig aside from the dull work. I still had time to walk the dogs, walk the kids to and from school, make Russian black bread with home ground flour, and make a couple pounds of fresh butter with my daughter. That was all today.

- George Orwell

Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I failed at returning to work. :-) they made an offer 3 or 4 years before I was ready, but I bit on it expecting I'd get a contract gig offer after the mandatory 1 year waiting period. I accepted an offer at 1 year and a week and after 4 days of w?rk I was so fed up with the lying and abuse I gave my 2 week notice.
I'd rather cut back on vacation plans than put up with a crap 9 month assignment. The joy in having f u money!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Its not a bad gig aside from the dull work. I still had time to walk the dogs, walk the kids to and from school, make Russian black bread with home ground flour, and make a couple pounds of fresh butter with my daughter. That was all today.
And what did you do AFTER breakfast?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa bear View Post
However, one particular story stands out most. I was interviewing a man in his mid 50's who had retired in his mid 30's with a real estate portfolio. He made it through 20 years of retirement but he came upon hard times. If I recall correctly, the recession hit him hard and his real estate holdings were in a particularly bad area that saw major declines (not all from the downturn but because of the area turning lower socio-economic which affected his rents).

I'm not sure what happened with him; he wasn't cashless yet, but he knew he couldn't sustain his portfolio for much longer. This hit close to home as my own plans had been heavy in real estate holdings for ER.
I've run across a number of people heavily into real estate. There seems to be a mindset with RE investors in single family homes and apartments that makes them believe properties only appreciate. Nothing is further from the truth.

A 30 year rent house or apartment is not going to be worth as much as a comparable new version even though the older asset may be worth more than the original purchase price. I've seen people dump a ton of money into fixing up and older house to be able to rent it.

The big risk is shifting socio-economics. Houston is full of formerly expensive neighborhoods that are now gang infested. Rents and property values are in the toilet. I suspect most are worth well less than what they were worth ten years ago despite Houston's booming real estate market.

It's always dangerous to depend too much on any one asset class especially one so location dependent.