Join Early Retirement Today

Have you noticed food prices lately?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you noticed food prices lately?

I've been watching food prices at Krogers and it looks like prices are on the way down.

Back in December I noticed Lipton tea bags (100) were on sale for $4.99, they had been $5.19 since last summer. Today they were $4.49 regular price. Milk has been $2.50 since at least the first of the year, down from $2.99 with a spike to $3.45 last summer.

Cheese, the mouse trap stuff, not the good stuff, had been eternally on sale at $6.99 marked down from $9.39 for 24 oz. Today the $9.39 sticker was still there but the new sale price was $4.99.

One type of bread we like was $3.19 and has been on sale since Christmas for $2.50.

Lots of stickers on the shelves indicating a discount card price but many have been there for weeks now so it's not like a weekly special. I guess the markup for $4 gas is getting a little hard to justify these days.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of prices are lower than they were, and also a lot more stuff on sale....and a lot of that at deep discounts! Our local IGA had Oscar Mayer 'Bun Length' hotdogs on sale for 99¢ a package....I stocked up (they freeze OK). A few of weeks ago I got a couple of packages of OM all beef hotdogs for 89¢ a package.....went back the next day and they were all gone....shoulda bought more to start with!

I got some really nice boneless pork chops yesterday for 88¢ a pound.

Both IGA and Krogers seem to be having a lot more "10 for 10" (a.k.a. a buck each) deals, 2-for-1 deals, and other such things lately. The shelves are loaded with sale tags on just about everything...canned goods, dry goods, juices, bread, cereal, etc. Plus, IGA has a lot of really good buys in their 'rotten meat' case...like pork tenderloin for a buck a pound! And fresh fruits and veggies have dropped in price as well.

We've stocked up on just about everything....cabinets are full, freezers are full, refrigerator is full, and we have boxes and bags of non-perishables stashed all over the house. Hoping they mark down the Northern TP pretty soon....we're down to 2 cases left!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

No, I haven't noticed lower prices, but I'll look again.

Seems hard to find a loaf of bread here for less than $5.00. I've been buying small loaves (a new category) for about $3.99. That works out okay for us as I hate stale bread.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been noticing lower prices, but often with smaller portions. They may still have 100 teabags, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put a quarter gram less tea in the bag, or maybe used cheaper paper or something. Our Edy's ice cream is slightly cheaper for 1.5 pints than it was for quart a few months ago. And the last jar of non-salmonella infested peanut butter we bought had an indentation in the bottom and 2 less ounces in the jar for the same price. I hope prices really are dropping, since fuel was a big reason for the increase. But I haven't noticed it to any significant level.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #5

I have noticed lower prices and we shop both Kroger and Giant Eagle (also Big Lots and Dollar Stores (where Green Tea was $.99 for 100 bags)). Mostly, we shop Kroger as we still have over $825 left in Kroger Gift Cards from the May 2008 Stimulus package buy.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The rat of inflation spike is just starting to pass through the snake hereabouts. But it will pass shortly, I think.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
grocery prices in New Orleans
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

grocery prices in New Orleans

Understandably, grocery store prices about doubled (or more) here after Katrina. Grocery stores were hit hard by that hurricane, and all of their food spoiled before anyone was allowed back, making them buildings full of rotting food and a huge mess to clean up. So of course, they had to charge more for that, and for the extra expenses of trucking more food down here at that time and paying very high wages to the few employees they could get after the storm.

Not so understandably, I am not so sure they ever got back down to anywhere near the prices in most other southern or midwestern locations.

We were happily amazed at the prices in grocery stores in our planned ER locaion of Springfield, Missouri during one of our trips up there, when evacuating for Hurricane Gustav last summer. (We ate at restaurants, but I wanted to check out grocery stores to see what kinds of food they carry.) Grocery stores carried all of the standard nationwide items, and many items were significantly lower than they are in New Orleans grocery stores.

As for local grocery prices in New Orleans lowering? NO... If they have, it has been almost imperceptable so far.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I haven't seen many prices coming down at all, other than gas prices over the last few months. To me this "deflation" talk seems like hooey, but maybe it hasn't really worked its way through the pipeline yet.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in the land of the Cavaliers, I have noticed the price of meat rising and the cost of milk lowering. Lipton Tea Bags are on sale for $2 for 100 this week. Like a previous poster, I too have noticed more "10 for $10" sales.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure, we 'enjoyed' speculative inflation last year which drove prices up, now we're enjoying deflation of deficient demand. I read a piece on how demand for milk products has declined. I don't eat the stuff, but I guess people cut back and make do in other ways during tough times.

Deflation is a great thing. The electronics industry is in permanent deflation, it's nice to see it in commodities. Hope it continues
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The rat of inflation spike is just starting to pass through the snake hereabouts. But it will pass shortly, I think.
Good, watch for specials on partially digested rat at Kroger's.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, how do you rate rat? I don't think you use the same system as the USDA as I don't see "partially digested" listed as one of the classifications:
  • Prime
  • Choice
  • Select
  • Standard
  • Commercial
  • Utility
  • Cutter quality
  • Canner quality
Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

- Still moving
- Almost dead
- Dead
- Really dead
- Partially diested
- Ick

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of a guy I read about who stretches his groceries by eating roadkill

The only price "decreases" we have noticed so far, go along with hidden skimping, such as Harley mentioned. This is true in the regular grocery store and BJs; for example, BJs sliced almonds, which I buy maybe once every 2 years, have gone from a 2-pound package to 1.5 pounds for roughly the same price.

Sometimes the skimping is so subtle (e.g. reduce cookie package or tomato can size by 1.5 oz) we wouldn't notice, if we weren't such grocery hawks.

The local grocery store was renovated earlier this year, and the first thing I noticed on walking in was, "Wow, how did they achieve more space without increasing the size of the building?" Then my analytic eye went to work and the illusion became clear.

The shelf units are much lower, so you can see right over them, and the shelves themselves are narrower and closer together. What makes this possible? Right, smaller package sizes.

And to think, all the new homes are being built with 42-inch cabinets, to accommodate giant-sized packages that are now beginning to shrink
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reminds me of a guy I read about who stretches his groceries by eating roadkill
I already told you, it was just that one time!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Deflation is a great thing.
If you have a steady and secure income stream without needing a job, yeah. For those of us still depending on the job market for a while, it's not such a good thing as prolonged deflation is the surest ticket to an economic depression with no jobs.

Normally people talk about "retirees on fixed incomes" as the financially unfortunate. In a deflationary spiral, assuming their "fixed income" is from a secure source, they are the big winners economically.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #17

Hey, here in OHIO if you hit a deer and kill it you can keep it. Must be a lot of them along I70 every morning.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

What about wine? Or is that not a food, I forget.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Hey, here in OHIO if you hit a deer and kill it you can keep it. Must be a lot of them along I70 every morning.
The deer hang out on I-675.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
To tell the truth, I don't notice grocery prices much. I spend quite a bit on food I like at the grocery and the farmers' market. Last November I paid $44 for a custom cut, free range turkey from a local farm.

Others are right, they keep slowly reducing the size; but they've been doing that since at least the '60s.