Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
A good issuer will overnight you that replacement at no fee, certainly if you ask.
This^^^^

When they say it will be mailed in 7-10 days, I usually just say, "That is not acceptable."

Besides, the fraud is their fault for having insecure processes, not mine.

They have always sent it overnight (several different companies).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have more than one CC for backup. 2 shared cards, one for travel/in person purchases and one for online purchases. Then we each have separate cards.

Interestingly, a few years ago when traveling, we did get a call from one of our CC companies (Chase) about fraudulent activity on our card. Since the invalid charges were happening in the northeast, and we were in Texas, they agreed to keep the card active but only approve charges in Texas during the time we were there, and deny all others. We also checked daily online to verify that the Texas charges were from us.They did not shutdown and issue new cards until we returned home. That was very convenient.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
This^^^^

When they say it will be mailed in 7-10 days, I usually just say, "That is not acceptable."

Besides, the fraud is their fault for having insecure processes, not mine.

They have always sent it overnight (several different companies).
+1 always with BOA.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I carry two cash back cards for general purchases. The billing cycles are 2 weeks apart and I use the one that gives me the longest float.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You just never know when your credit card company will deny a legitimate charge. We were on the last day of a week-long vacation many years ago. Our credit card was declined when we tried to pay for our lunch. A week's worth of charges went through before someone/the system decided fraud might be taking place, which it wasn't. We used a different credit card to pay for lunch and sorted it out when we got home.

Just today, I made a large purchase from a company that I've bought from several times before, using a credit card that I've used for these purchases before. For the first time ever, the charge was declined. I had to spend some time with the credit card company and the merchant to get it straightened out. I was assured that my card was fine, but no explanation was given for the decline.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #26

I always travel with two different CCs and a debit card. Have had CCs cancelled for fraud two or three times. I also had an ATM eat my corporate credit card with no way to get it back (I was an a UK business trip at the time and it would have taken three or four days to receive the new card, even expedited).

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #27

We have four different cc with different banks/credit unions. One I keep in a drawer as I only use it for the recurring charge of the gym membership, two others I use according to what has the highest rebate or statement credit program going, and one I just use once in a while to keep the account alive.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #28
gone traveling

Yes, it is a good idea.

1. We have 1 Mastercard. Have it in case Visa has problems. Which actually happened in Europe a few months ago. See https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...across-europe/

2. I have an AMEX Platinum card. Trying to get Avios for use on British Airways. Have earned over 100K Avios since January.

3. We have an Amazon Visa.

4. We each have 2 credit union credit cards (Visa) and 2 debit cards.

5. We have a BA Visa card for earning Avios. Have earned over 100K since January.

So, in total: 8
Travel (as a couple) with at least 5.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #29

I have 4 cards that I keep with me in my wallet. DW has 4-5. All separate accounts, we just never bothered to get any joint credit cards 38 years ago when we married. Thanks to this, her credit rating is actually a few points better than mine!

When traveling, we usually keep cards in several different places, including hotel safe if available, just in case we lose a wallet.

We both have one or two we use frequently, for points or cash back, the others get infrequent use, but apparently enough to stay active.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
When traveling, we usually keep cards in several different places, including hotel safe if available, just in case we lose a wallet.
I keep a 2nd copy of my driver's license and do this too (easy to get a replacement for a few bucks from your DMV. Tuck it inside my carry on when I travel, and stash it in the safe while I'm away. Never want to get stuck trying to get on the flight home after losing a wallet/ID on a trip...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #31

I definitely always have a back up card or 3. Was in Malawi last week trying to upgrade my airline ticket to business class for the 16h leg of my return travel. My card had been working fine but declined for an online transaction. Difficult to call card from Africa and rep said there was a block on online since last fall!!! Duh. Maybe they should tell me. Had my DDs card for the same account (only used for travel so I took hers with me). It worked. Usually have my own Visa and my Costco MasterCard as my backup.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #32

DW and I usually travel with two cards from different companies. She carries one, I carry the other. And one Debt/ATM card to get cash if needed.

The other fallback is that I have all my other cards loaded into Apple Pay. Not all places accept cardless payments, but a lot do and I could get by using that if I had to for a couple of days.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #33

Never thought about this.

We have the Chase Sapphire card that we use for everything except Costco. We have the Citibank Costco Visa that we just use at Costco.

So, we'd be covered if the Chase card gets compromised because we could use the Citibank card until Chase gets new cards out to us.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another way to look at it is "what does it take to optimize your credit report?"
To optimize your credit report you need at least 3 open accounts with all but one reporting a zero balance and a reported balance of less than a few percent of the credit limit reported on one card.

I personally carry an AMEX Blue cash, a BOA Alaska Airlines visa and a chase Freedom visa. I also have a Chase Ink cash for business expenses for my sideline gig. 4 cards from 3 issuers for me.

I am surprised by the number of people who only carry one card. With autopay, it is a trivial effort to keep a handful of accounts happy and get the benefits of diversity.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I saw a $5 charge I didn't recognize on my CC bill, and reported it. Now we're without a card for a week.

Once that happened when on a trip.

It makes me think it would be good to have a second card that we use only in that situation.

Will the CC company allow you to have two cards for the same account?

Anyone do that?
I have about 10 backup credit cards.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
....................... On trips we carry at least one extra, and ever since I lost my wallet on a trip to Hawaii I've learned to keep cards and IDs in different places, like one in my wallet and another in my backpack or carryon. ..........................................
Ever figure out how you lost the wallet? Related to the beach?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I have about 10 backup credit cards.
Same here. It all started with the discounts and bonuses. I used to only have a couple of Bank of America VISA rewards cards (one of which had no foreign transaction fees), and an old Delta AMEX card. Life was simple.
  • Fidelity - got the 2% off everything Fidelity AMEX. Later this was replaced by the 2% off everything Amazon VISA.
  • Amazon - 3% off with Amazon VISA by Chase - sign up bonus, plus 3% off at Amazon.
  • DH also got an Amazon VISA because of the $30 bonus.
  • These were later superseded by the Amazon Store Card with 5% credit for Prime Members, but we still have the Chase cards.
  • I got a mileage Explorer card - nice mileage bonus.
  • Later DH was offered a huge mileage bonus, so he also got one!
  • PenFed - 5% off on gas. I needed a chip and PIN card for Europe - this was my first one. We regularly use it for gas.
  • Costco AMEX, which later was replaced by the Costco VISA with 3% rewards on dining and travel, and 2% off at Costco, etc.
  • I was enticed to get the Amex Blue Card when they were offering some sweet incentives that included 10% off Telecom for a year among other things. I bought a new iPhone for 10% off!
  • Nice deal on the United Mileage Club Card - waived annual fee and several nice flying perks plus club access. So we downgraded both our Mileage Explorer cards to no annual fee versions.
  • First Tech MasterCard - a PIN priority card with no FTF for European travel, and thus a bit more convenient than the PenFed card and the BofA Travel Rewards card. Also had rewards that PenFed didn't.

So next thing you know, we're awash in credit cards!!! We only use a few of them, although which ones we use switches when we travel overseas.

We also picked up the Fidelity check (debit) card and the Schwab debit card for their no foreign transaction fee ATM withdrawals.

I haven't signed up for a new credit card since early 2017. We've frozen our credit since then and it's more trouble now. But really - enough is enough!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I can't imagine not having at least 3 different bank cards - preferably different brands (say AMEX, VISA and Discover.) When you depend upon a card most (traveling) is when it's most likely to be denied. (We've had cards turned down at point of purchase. Upon calling the card company, they said "well, you live in so-and-so, but here's a charge in such-and-such.") Yes, you can straighten it out, but who wants to be calling a CC co. from Disneyworld. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:30 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I can't imagine not having at least 3 different bank cards - preferably different brands (say AMEX, VISA and Discover.) When you depend upon a card most (traveling) is when it's most likely to be denied. (We've had cards turned down at point of purchase. Upon calling the card company, they said "well, you live in so-and-so, but here's a charge in such-and-such.") Yes, you can straighten it out, but who wants to be calling a CC co. from Disneyworld. YMMV
We certainly travel with backup cards (kept in physically different locations), but I am meticulous about setting up travel notices for any credit or debit cards I take on a trip and have not had denial problems due to location.

I used to run into problems as soon as I was about 250 miles driving from my home area. I also sometimes run into problems pre-trip when buying train tickets or tours from an overseas vendor - there is no way to set up a “I’m about to order from overseas” notice online although you can actually call in such a thing to the cc Fraud Department. These are usually quickly resolved through texts or automated calls. We recently ordered something online from a new US vendor and had to OK charges via an automated call.

But once we’re traveling with travel notices in effect, we haven’t had problems.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We certainly travel with backup cards (kept in physically different locations), but I am meticulous about setting up travel notices for any credit or debit cards I take on a trip and have not had denial problems due to location.

I used to run into problems as soon as I was about 250 miles driving from my home area. I also sometimes run into problems pre-trip when buying train tickets or tours from an overseas vendor - there is no way to set up a “I’m about to order from overseas” notice online although you can actually call in such a thing to the cc Fraud Department. These are usually quickly resolved through texts or automated calls. We recently ordered something online from a new US vendor and had to OK charges via an automated call.

But once we’re traveling with travel notices in effect, we haven’t had problems.
+1 on travel notices, although can't use the standard BOA program when travelling in state.