having a social life while saving money??

Unless your apartment is super expensive, if you're this focused on the entertainment budget as a way to save, I wonder if finding ways to boost your income might not give you a better result.

I agree that your entertainment budget doesn't seem crazy high. I do wonder about the car payment and your other fixed expenses. That seems like a high car payment if you're not saving in a 401k. The gym is also expensive, IMO.

I would echo what others have said. First, pay off CCs and don't carry a balance. Then start contributing to 401k/Roth, ideally to the max, but at a minimum 10% of your salary. Then start looking at your fixed monthly costs. Could you get a roommate to offset some expenses?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to find happy hour specials if you want to go out on a budget. Our community also does first friday art walks, thursday museums, etc... And if you love to read, look into the free downloads available at your local library. Most cities have pretty great options. Farmers markets are fun, as are potluck dinners with friends. When you're trying to save, the hardest part for me is the notion that you just have to stop buying stuff. I know it sounds obvious, but instead of grabbing food at a festival, pack a lunch and bring water. Carry a travel mug in your hands to give you something to hold other than stuff.

You might give the forum an idea of things you like to do, types of trips you like to take and what area of the country you're in and people can probably give you better suggestions.

please no more suggestions about hiking or kayaking or camping or whatever anymore...that is just sooooo not my thing. 100% city girl here

Sooo... Have you considered going hiking? :) Just kidding. You have a gym membership, so you're obviously not against exercise. If you would rather "go for a walk" in the city, than "go hiking" in nature, that's fine. Every city has parks, and most have trail systems through or around the city. But you can walk up and down city blocks if you're more comfortable with that.

Walking is free, good exercise, and can be done with friends.

I go to Starbucks maybe once a week max

So you're spending somewhere around $20-25 per month on coffee? That may not sound like much, but it all adds up. That's $240 per year you could be saving.

Consider making your own coffee, or buying coffee from less expensive places. I'm not a coffee drinker, so that's easy for me to say... :)

In the spirit of "show me your friends and I'll show you your future", we found the more we were able to socialize with like-minded saving peers, the easier it was to socialize and save money. One example is that none of us in this group gave a hoot about what others made, nor cared about showing off what they could spend or belittling what others would spend. The shared attitude of "we are all trying to save' made socializing in that context much easier.

+1 on the roommate idea, if OP can tolerate it. I saved a ton of money in my 20's by sharing a 2-bedroom apartment. Didn't always love it, but all the money I saved, went toward other goals.

I also earned extra money by volunteering for overtime jobs at work (this is not always available, depends on your job situation). Just a few extra hours a week can be a big savings booster. You take the OT pay and throw it at the 401K or into the emergency fund; then pretend you never saw it in your check :cool:

Unless your apartment is super expensive, if you're this focused on the entertainment budget as a way to save, I wonder if finding ways to boost your income might not give you a better result.

I agree that your entertainment budget doesn't seem crazy high. I do wonder about the car payment and your other fixed expenses. That seems like a high car payment if you're not saving in a 401k. The gym is also expensive, IMO.

I would echo what others have said. First, pay off CCs and don't carry a balance. Then start contributing to 401k/Roth, ideally to the max, but at a minimum 10% of your salary. Then start looking at your fixed monthly costs. Could you get a roommate to offset some expenses?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to find happy hour specials if you want to go out on a budget. Our community also does first friday art walks, thursday museums, etc... And if you love to read, look into the free downloads available at your local library. Most cities have pretty great options. Farmers markets are fun, as are potluck dinners with friends. When you're trying to save, the hardest part for me is the notion that you just have to stop buying stuff. I know it sounds obvious, but instead of grabbing food at a festival, pack a lunch and bring water. Carry a travel mug in your hands to give you something to hold other than stuff.

You might give the forum an idea of things you like to do, types of trips you like to take and what area of the country you're in and people can probably give you better suggestions.

+1

Cheers!

.... any tips on how to get this under control?

newbie here, so please be kind! :D

Easy... google Pay Yourself First... IOW, decide on your saving and have it taken out of your paycheck or otherwise automated so it just happens.

Then the rest is available to be spent... and shop then shop for value.. best bang for the buck. For example, our cell plan with unlimited talk and text and 2GB of data is only $18/month per phone.

On your rent situation... is finding a roommate possible? It would reduce your cost and provide some company.

On drinks... we are frugal and frequently order just water when going out for a meal... or sometimes just a beer or glass of wine. When at a bar, I sometimes alternate between and alcoholic drink and water... more so I don't get stinking drunk but it saves money too.

Last edited:
You have a gym membership, so you're obviously not against exercise. If you would rather "go for a walk" in the city, than "go hiking" in nature, that's fine. Every city has parks, and most have trail systems through or around the city. But you can walk up and down city blocks if you're more comfortable with that.

I'm guessing that the gym is used for more than just walking, but I do agree that $79 a month is a little expensive...unless the cost provides needed motivation ;) If so, there are less expensive alternatives.

You can also buy used weights on the internet for cheap and work out at home. I spent about $800 on a power cage, bench, and an Olympic weight set 20 years ago (a simple set can be a lot less expensive) and have worked out with that ever since. Pro-rated I've spent about $40 a year to exercise. $79 a month for 20 years is almost $20,000.

oh my goodness, it's hard to keep all of this advice in my head

can we tag people here? I wanted to tell Clone that your signature made me lol

and to the person (I couldn't find you) who mentioned the "afford anything" podcast, I already found it like a week ago and it got me thinking to look for a forum where all the advice is written down...but I like paula; I've listened to 3 or 4 of her shows already. and she has a ton of stuff on youtube too!

I think you have been here long enough to get hooked. Next you will be asking about dryer sheets and how to get more gold stars. :D

I think you have been here long enough to get hooked. Next you will be asking about dryer sheets and how to get more gold stars. :D

lol maybe I am low key addicted.

yes but what IS up with the dryer sheet thing??

well, I guess that explains it...kind of lol

but who even uses dryer sheets? I barely knew what they were! I guess that makes me thrifty, right?? :)

We still use dryer sheets at the DGF's insistence, but do not cut them in half. lol

It is close to 100 degrees here today so I'm going to hang our laundry out on racks without the sheets or even using the dryer.

Good point! I love the solar dryer. The wind-powered dryer is nice, too. Clothes smell great when you bring them back in. Maybe OP can hang out her laundry on the roof, lol

It is close to 100 degrees here today so I'm going to hang our laundry out on racks without the sheets or even using the dryer.

who even uses dryer sheets?

We do, always have. My wife likes laundry to "smell" clean, but in recent years my skin has become more sensitive to dyes and perfumes in laundry detergent. One of the joys of getting old I suppose. So far I seem to tolerate the dryer sheets which gives my wife the smell she is after, while still using dye and perfume free detergents. I think the sheets are also supposed to help reduce static in the clothes, but I've never really paid much attention to know if that's true.

Why not use vinegar instead of dryer sheets?

We add borax for really dirty loads.

If the wash has any odor, I add a few drops of tea tree oil. That generally gets rid of mildew or sweaty odors, and doesn't add any odor of its own.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if you are healthy, you can donate plasma at a local blood bank for $$. It is an honorable thing to do, and they pay you for it. You could start a dog walking business....good exercise, meet interesting people, and be around dogs. Have you considered being an UBER driver in your spare time as a side hustle ?

I tend to socialize around exercise or dance classes. Pretty much the same crowd over the period of a couple months or so, so you recognize some people long before you actually chat if large enough class.

Just walking around the track is fun especially if you let them talk enthusiastically about their favorite subject ( usually it is them and their life lol ) . You get a reputation for being a great conversationalist.... Some people form walk and exercise groups at parks so no need to have any real costs involved.

OP is out socializing . . .

You have to have a balance that works for you. You obviously have to save and invest, but hey don't forget about fun.

I was nowhere near the 50% club.

Back
Top Bottom