Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #121
gone traveling

I haven't read the whole thread, but if you are healthy, you can donate plasma at a local blood bank for $$. It is an honorable thing to do, and they pay you for it. You could start a dog walking business....good exercise, meet interesting people, and be around dogs. Have you considered being an UBER driver in your spare time as a side hustle ?
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tend to socialize around exercise or dance classes. Pretty much the same crowd over the period of a couple months or so, so you recognize some people long before you actually chat if large enough class.

Just walking around the track is fun especially if you let them talk enthusiastically about their favorite subject ( usually it is them and their life lol ) . You get a reputation for being a great conversationalist.... Some people form walk and exercise groups at parks so no need to have any real costs involved.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #123

OP is out socializing . . .
Old 06-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Friday night after work meetup. I remember doing that when I was her age and working like a dog during the week.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have to have a balance that works for you. You obviously have to save and invest, but hey don't forget about fun.

I was nowhere near the 50% club.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Friday night after work meetup. I remember doing that when I was her age and working like a dog during the week.
Unlike the geezers who stay home on a Friday night and socialize on ER forum.

Hey, I still remember that it's Friday today. Every day is the same.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Bwah hah - little do you know. I have been known to sneak a look and a comment on one of my threads while out...Intermissions do exist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try the envelope method. Take out a specific amount of cash each month for recreation and entertainment. Once it's gone, you stop spending. In time you will learn what gives you the most entertainment value for your buck. You don't want to blow your wad the first day on something you really don't care about and sit on your hands for the next 29 days.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

I keep a spreadsheet of our entertainment total cost including gas and tips, and a fun factor. We're retired and probably go out most days, so I find it kind of a math challenge to see how much fun we can pack in for a minimum $$ outlay.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Bwah hah - little do you know. I have been known to sneak a look and a comment on one of my threads while out...Intermissions do exist...
Old 06-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Bahaha. Hey it's 5 o'clock somewhere. Get off my lawn.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, the singles at my office do that as well.

My Friday nights as a single revolved around dancing.

By the time I was working long hours, I had kiddos at home so went straight home (barring a surreptitious quick date with DH).
Old 06-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I remember being so tired by the end of the work week that I fell asleep on a date. In my 20's, yet! It was embarrassing, but what can you do?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

The original Your Money or Your Life book by Dominguez and Robbins contains a plan to track and evaluate spending to reach goals. It is a bit to slog through (I read the tracking spending part five times) and follow at first, but after about six months it helped me to be conscious about my spending and make sure I was spending on what was important to me. I continued to follow it for twenty years and have been retired for five. I credit this plan and following it daily with my ability to retire. I developed frugal living skills and socialized regularly. I learned that there is a less expensive way to do everything! Recommend the tracking spending portion of the original book. (The investing part is very dated).
healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #135
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Hey, I still remember that it's Friday today. Every day is the same.
but I’m home early on a sat so that means I’m responsible right?? or getting old? lol
travelbug_ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:33 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug_ali View Post
but I’m home early on a sat so that means I’m responsible right?? or getting old? lol
Possibly both or you ran out of money.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

"The marketer strives to "create value in the eyes of the consumer". That means they want you to buy something that you didn't even know you wanted!"

And I might add, something you don't even need....

Here's a funny anecdote:

My buddy really liked Thunderbirds and bought a used 1994 to restore. It was a really clean car and we took a ride one day. I looked down at the stereo system and noticed a two position switch that said " Premium Sound - ON/OFF".

" Cool " I said..." You have Premium Sound. " YUP! " my buddy replied. "That's an excellent feature to have isn't it ?" "Yup!" . " So, how often do you use this switch? Do you have those days where you feel you just don't deserve Premium Sound so you flip it to the OFF position?"

He looked at me puzzled for a second and then we both had a long laugh at the absurdity of American Marketing and the American Consumer in general.

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug_ali View Post
I think you are doing fine (not getting "old" ). And coming here for information and maybe some guidance that will help you in the future is a good thing.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #139
gone traveling

I also congratulate the OP on recognizing the need to start thinking about her future!

This also makes me feel really good about how I have influenced my DD's. I have always told them how I wish someone had stressed to me the importance of paying myself first, and taking advantage of employer matching as the fastest return on investment you can have. To me, not contributing to at least get the full match, is giving away part of your annual pay!

My oldest has six figure 401k at 29 (not a high salary person either - maybe $60K), and her recent DH is in that six figure club as well (although higher salary). They also have continued to "have fun" while doing so (currently in Miami for the weekend visiting a college friend) so to the OP, it is possible! Keep listening to the "old geezer" advice here, and start paying yourself asap!
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

We went out to a couple of pubs with friend for drinks and dancing this weekend. We ate a healthy meal at home before we went out, there wasn't a cover charge for the band and we just bought an appetizer and a couple of beers so it was a fairly cheap night out. Our other weekend events were a garden visit (free entry with membership in another American Horticultural Society garden) and a bus tour of a sea bird colony with a biologist (tax payer supported activity via public parks, free parking with our parks membership, and a small charge for the bus). The garden and colony tour were outdoors but actually both were located in urban areas. We consider it fun for being old geezers but actually we probably did the same kind of activities in our 30s, too. I looked around and there were people in their 30s at all the events, though probably more at the pubs than the garden or bird colony.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote