Join Early Retirement Today

He is so frugal he......
Old 12-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

He is so frugal he......

A friend of mine is so frugal he takes an individually wrapped cheese in his pocket to put on his McDonald's burger. Saves maybe 10 or 15 cents. True story. Any humorous examples of extreme frugality? Must be true.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MIL still smooths out and reuses aluminum foil, among other frugal habits from depression upbringing. (In their 80s, they have the proverbial "millions" saved and are still putting savings away from their pensions/ss checks while enjoying life.)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
MIL still smooths out and reuses aluminum foil, among other frugal habits from depression upbringing. (In their 80s, they have the proverbial "millions" saved and are still putting savings away from their pensions/ss checks while enjoying life.)

Yep..sounds like my family. All of their storage containers are old butter tubs/etc. Shoot...there are too many to mention! They can certainly make a dollar STRETCHHHHHHH....
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Yep..sounds like my family. All of their storage containers are old butter tubs/etc. Shoot...there are too many to mention! They can certainly make a dollar STRETCHHHHHHH....
And I thought my parents were the only ones who saved old plastic containers. Can't blame them though. Back then, recycling wasn't as widespread/available, so they would have ended up in a landfill.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #5

Add my MIL to the extreme frugal camp. She claims it's not about money - but more the fact she never learned to drive. So she *never* threw out anything that might be repurposed for some need later. Foil, pie tins, butter tubs.... When they lived here I used to buy the big Costco tubs of animal crackers for them... When she moved out and we were getting the casita ready to rent there were 30 of those tubs stashed away.... Some she'd clearly used for laundry soaking and other purposes.

I used to be in awe of how much food she could by for under $100. (but it took 2 hours for her to go through the store.)

Something about that depression generation (she's 87 now).
Old 12-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

Oh - and for the OP and the cheese bringing friend. Could it be he/she doesn't like the crappy cheese they use. I'm not a fan of American Cheese (cheese flavored food product -not really cheese). I could see bringing a slice of cheddar or swiss just for the flavor.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Heck, DW and I do this. More lazy than frugal. :-)

Especially nice are the plastic bins that some lunch meats come in (and gallon containers for generic ice cream!).

______
Hmmm. I guess I could add one of my own to this list; instead of buying bottled water, I have been known to take others' empties, wash them well, and fill with tap water for future use.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Oh - and for the OP and the cheese bringing friend. Could it be he/she doesn't like the crappy cheese they use.
ABSOLUTELY!
This is one of my pet peeves -- very few restaurants use decent cheese on burgers. Practically all of it is that ubiquitous "pasteurized processed cheese food product" that is essentially limp plastic.

I wouldn't go so far as to carry my own, but I'm far more likely to order a burger without cheese unless I know what I'll be getting.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
When my grandmother moved into the nursing home and my mom and aunts were breaking down her apartment they found a drawer chock full of those zip-lock type bags that you get at some grocery stores when you buy cold cuts, all washed, dried and neatly stacked. That's my Gram.... waste not, want not.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'd rather eat the cheese from the McDonald's cheeseburgers than the meat.

MIL was so frugal that after she moved to the nursing home, we cleared out several dozen plastic tops from aerosol cans that she had saved to put things in if she ever needed something that size to put things in.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You mean most people don't wash and re-use ziplock bags and plastic containers?

It didn't occur to me until I read this, that maybe other people really don't do that. And here I thought I was living the lifestyles of the rich and famous. I guess I just save ziplocks and containers automatically, because I hadn't actually thought about it. It's just, y'know, what you do with them....

I'll bet tossing them all the time makes a lot more trash to drag out to the curb.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

It didn't occur to me until I read this, that maybe other people really don't do that. And here I thought I was living the lifestyles of the rich and famous. I guess I just save ziplocks and containers automatically, because I hadn't actually thought about it. It's just, y'know, what you do with them....

I'll bet tossing them all the time makes a lot more trash to drag out to the curb.
Well, the bags can go in the trash, but most of those plastic tubs are recyclable. What do they do with them? They make canvas-style grocery bags out of them. Talk about reuse and recycle!

- Rita
P.S. I don't save the bags, but do save the containers (within storage space limits).
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
ABSOLUTELY!
This is one of my pet peeves -- very few restaurants use decent cheese on burgers. Practically all of it is that ubiquitous "pasteurized processed cheese food product" that is essentially limp plastic.

I wouldn't go so far as to carry my own, but I'm far more likely to order a burger without cheese unless I know what I'll be getting.
But the whole thing about MacDonalds burgers (with reference to the OP's friend) is that nothing in them is decent. If you want a decent burger at MacDonalds, you have to replace not only the cheese, but also the bun, all the extras, and most especially the "meat".

Why pick on just the cheese?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

We re-use the ziplock bags and the plastic containers. But re-using Cool Whip containers is depressing. Every time I open a Cool Whip container, I expect to find Cool Whip, not leftover spaghetti.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
But the whole thing about MacDonalds burgers (with reference to the OP's friend) is that nothing in them is decent. If you want a decent burger at MacDonalds, you have to replace not only the cheese, but also the bun, all the extras, and most especially the "meat".

So true! I seldom can eat there because of my constant struggle with overweight. But when I do, I want my quarter pounder with cheese to be something utterly wicked and even a little disgusting, and they are glad to oblige.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We re-use the ziplock bags and the plastic containers. But re-using Cool Whip containers is depressing. Every time I open a Cool Whip container, I expect to find Cool Whip, not leftover spaghetti.
I can see your point!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Ah, yes, the old refrigerator surprise trick - and you fell for it!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

30 years ago, my grandad got one of those 'press the button if you fall down' that would automatically call for help.

Afterwards, he found out that the call for help was to a center about 15 miles away...resulting in a 15 cent toll call!!

When he broke his hip, he decided to drag himself across the room and pull the phone off the table to call his daughter instead of that dreaded 15 cent long distance charge.

"...I knew she'd be home. If she wasn't home, I'd have pushed the button..."

The worse part is that he had (ahem!) plenty of money.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Absolutely right, of course.
I was talking about hamburgers in general.

To be honest, the only time I ever go into a McDonald's is when I'm on a long drive and need a place to pee. The bathrooms in those places are generally decent.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
99 Cents Only...my favorite store.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #20
gone traveling

99 Cents Only...my favorite store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
A friend of mine is so frugal he takes an individually wrapped cheese in his pocket to put on his McDonald's burger. Saves maybe 10 or 15 cents. True story. Any humorous examples of extreme frugality? Must be true.
10 hotdogs for a buck, 2 (w/o buns) per lunch, five days a week. While others go out and spend $25-$50 per week on lunch, I spend $1. 50 weeks per year and I'm up $1,200 to $2,450. With 5 years to go, that's $6,000 to $12,250, not including earnings/time value.
Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote